The Smoakhouse Forums

Tyler ISD To Consider Renaming Lee and John Tyler

1 hour ago, dtsmith112 said:

If you never heard of any of this before Obama, then you must have had your head in the sand. People have tried for decades to get the name of R.E.L off of schools across America and yes including here in Tyler. Maybe if these schools and America taught the real history of America, then people wouldn't have a problem with these statues, instead of glorifying these people who committed treason against the United States.  You have textbooks used to teach our students in Texas, that "workers" from Africa were immigrants, instead of calling them enslaved human beings. These slaves were chained, forced to work long hours, were beaten, raped, murdered with little to no compensation. How about some statues of the slaves that fought back or the people in the south that spoke out against this inhuman behavior?

The people against the name change and for the Confederacy are quick to point out that we're erasing history, but lets tell all of the history instead of glorifying these murders, rapists and torturers . There is a place for REL and these other traitors against America and that place is a museum. That way the people that really want to learn about the history of the Civil War and slavery can actually learn about the good and bad of these people, and not some statue that was most likely put up to promote supremacy or used to invoke fear.

Let’s be honest how many really looked at a statue knew who he was and got upset about it . 

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If Tyler ISD is going to rename Lee then you have to look at John Tyler too. Will the city be renamed? Will the county? Rename both or none. 

I got one bad and one good comment.  I challenge each of you to do a bit of reading and learn from the past.  Lots of history out there.  It always puts good against evil.  If you can’t afford books m

Did you sleep through his 8 years of corruption? .... You can't be serious  ...  Here is a good start for you ... https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2017/01/02/18-major-scandals-obama-presidency/

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

Wait until he finds out the first legal slave owner was black and successfully sued to keep them in the 1600s . We won’t get into the actually sold said slaves to the white peoples. 

I’m sure that’s known by a lot but just overlooked. Doesn’t fit agenda. 

• Thanks 3
48 minutes ago, dtsmith112 said:

If you never heard of any of this before Obama, then you must have had your head in the sand. People have tried for decades to get the name of R.E.L off of schools across America and yes including here in Tyler. Maybe if these schools and America taught the real history of America, then people wouldn't have a problem with these statues, instead of glorifying these people who committed treason against the United States.  You have textbooks used to teach our students in Texas, that "workers" from Africa were immigrants, instead of calling them enslaved human beings. These slaves were chained, forced to work long hours, were beaten, raped, murdered with little to no compensation. How about some statues of the slaves that fought back or the people in the south that spoke out against this inhuman behavior?

The people against the name change and for the Confederacy are quick to point out that we're erasing history, but lets tell all of the history instead of glorifying these murders, rapists and torturers . There is a place for REL and these other traitors against America and that place is a museum. That way the people that really want to learn about the history of the Civil War and slavery can actually learn about the good and bad of these people, and not some statue that was most likely put up to promote supremacy or used to invoke fear.

Yeah I’ve heard of Tyler trying to get Lee to change it’s name, but this is the first time that John Tyler has been brought up. At least to my ears. No my head isn’t in the sand. A black man led this nation from ‘08-‘16. Was in office during a time when multiple police killings erupted in riots. Not a damn peep about statues or name changed. Should they come down? Hell I don’t know. I’m just saying where was the outrage during his tenure. Were text books changed since the ‘90’s cause we learned about slavery. Immigrant or no other watering down was in those books. I did ask my teacher one thing that I couldn’t wrap my head around. I asked her how was it possible that 25-30 guys (that’s how many it took to man a ship) were able to drop anchor, head into uncharted territory, capture 360 people (that was the amount taught that were crammed into the ship), secure those people, march them back to shore, get them loaded, and not lose one of their own. Didn’t make much sense to me. She told me they were not allowed to teach that part of it. So you’re right. They need to teach all the horrors of the slave days. On this continent and the other one too. Don’t forget to mention the Spanish. They were the ones to do it first. Latin America has got a lot of name changing and statue removing to do as well. Maybe if the truth was told people wouldn’t wear necklaces depicting Africa. I get not wanting to stand for the anthem like Kap, but damn be consistent. Don’t wear a necklace with the continent that sold their own into slavery. Guess he wasn’t taught the entire ugly truth of slavery. 

• Thanks 1
59 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

You sure do seem to get worked up about these backwoods East Texans

You sure do follow me around this forum a lot.

• Stinks 1
2 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Yeah I’ve heard of Tyler trying to get Lee to change it’s name, but this is the first time that John Tyler has been brought up. At least to my ears. No my head isn’t in the sand. A black man led this nation from ‘08-‘16. Was in office during a time when multiple police killings erupted in riots. Not a damn peep about statues or name changed. Should they come down? Hell I don’t know. I’m just saying where was the outrage during his tenure. Were text books changed since the ‘90’s cause we learned about slavery. Immigrant or no other watering down was in those books. I did ask my teacher one thing that I couldn’t wrap my head around. I asked her how was it possible that 25-30 guys (that’s how many it took to man a ship) were able to drop anchor, head into uncharted territory, capture 360 people (that was the amount taught that were crammed into the ship), secure those people, march them back to shore, get them loaded, and not lose one of their own. Didn’t make much sense to me. She told me they were not allowed to teach that part of it. So you’re right. They need to teach all the horrors of the slave days. On this continent and the other one too. Don’t forget to mention the Spanish. They were the ones to do it first. Latin America has got a lot of name changing and statue removing to do as well. Maybe if the truth was told people wouldn’t wear necklaces depicting Africa. I get not wanting to stand for the anthem like Kap, but damn be consistent. Don’t wear a necklace with the continent that sold their own into slavery. Guess he wasn’t taught the entire ugly truth of slavery. 

Fear of being cancelled. A lot of anti Trump and not being patriotic is apparently Taboo now. Can’t let the snowflakes control you . 

2 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

Well it is a sports forum. 🤨

Yet, you hardly have anything to say to me concerning sports.

Even more interesting.

• Stinks 1
4 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Not a surprising answer coming from you.

28 minutes ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

No stupidity is erasing history like it never happened.....notice GERMANY left Auschwitz up so THEY wouldn't forget and have it happen again.......

Whats not surprising is you lie about my quote.....typical.......

36 minutes ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

No stupidity is erasing history like it never happened.....notice GERMANY left Auschwitz up so THEY wouldn't forget and have it happen again.......

Yeah, but I doubt kids are attending Adolf Hitler High School in Berlin.

11 minutes ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

Like I said. Agenda. 

• Thanks 1

All of the “after the fact” confederate statues are just giant participation trophies. It’s like when a college football team claims a National title from 80 years ago. 

Was Lee a terrible guy? Probably not. He chose the wrong side though and he lost. Winners write history. If you don’t like it then win.

10 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

You're kinda all over the place, so I'll try to answer what I can. Isn't this America? "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" We aren't South America, so lets try to be better and live up to what our Declaration of Independence states.

You keep bringing up Obama, but racism was here before Obama and will be here after Trump, but that doesn't mean that we don't try to address it. Take if from Tim Scott a black Republican that has talked about racial profiling that he's experienced on Capitol Hill. Obama gave a speech about race relations in this country, and there was plenty of protests about police violence and race relations during his tenure, so I don't get where you say there was any outrage during his time in office. I'll be sure to link some if you want to go back and forth.

Also, what does not wearing a necklace with Africa on it has to do with anything? Africa is a continent and not a country. Like I mentioned before lets talk about all the ills of slavery, segregation and Jim Crow laws. This country has never even formally apologized for slavery, and people glorify those that fought to keep people enslaved (although there was other reason for the Civil War.) How about all those black men that served this country and came home and weren't able to vote, not able to go in the front entrance of a restaurant to get something to eat, not being able to play sports, and to get an education to name a few things that they were denied. 

It's sounds like a lot of people here are more for nationalism than patriotism. It's not about what's doing best for this country, but what's best for people that look and think like them.

15 minutes ago, dtsmith112 said:

Nationalism isn’t racism. Not in modern America. We are a melting pot. I want what’s best for Americans and their children. White, black, brown, and any other color those Americans should be. 

29 minutes ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

l just quoted what you wrote.. 

I said that stupidity is ideolizing anything confederate related... and the very first word that comes out of your mouth is "No"? Not surprising.

I keep seeing y'all compare here to Germany when it comes to this topic, and to me its funny.

You wont see any monuments of Hitler over there. And over here, U.S doesnt put the victims and true heroes on pedastals.

Thats the real difference between Germany and the U.S...history here ideolizes and showcases the "Hitlers" with these monuments. Putting them on pedastals. Germany preserves history by honoring their victims. Learn the difference before trying to compare.

But let me ease up, your ban trigger finger is happy whenever you have opposition. You win. 👍

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, mellon said:

Just don't use my tax dollars for the re-naming. Every school in Tyler has been rebuilt in the past several years, so the tax payer has paid his/her fair share. If people are so dead serious on this issue then they can contribute to the cause.

From my understanding, when the bond was passed it was due to the understanding that the names wouldn’t be changed or voters wouldn’t have passed it? 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, ANTI said:

l just quoted what you wrote.. 

I said that stupidity is ideolizing anything confederate related... and the very first word that comes out of your mouth is "No"? Not surprising.

I keep seeing y'all compare here to Germany when it comes to this topic, and to me its funny.

You wont see any monuments of Hitler over there. And over here, U.S doesnt put the victims and true heroes on pedastals.

Thats the real difference between Germany and the U.S...history here ideolizes and showcases the "Hitlers" with these monuments. Putting them on pedastals. Germany preserves history by honoring their victims. Learn the difference before trying to compare.

But let me ease up, your ban trigger finger is happy whenever you have opposition. You win. 👍

No you EDITED what I wrote to change my meaning....which is a violation of the rules I will let slide this time since you probably didn't know that.......

3 hours ago, ANTI said:

Lot of people do.

Whether they man up and admit it or not.

Stupidity was born in a big pile of :poop: that came out of an AssUmption.

• Haha 1
  • Stinks 1

If the Redskins have to change their name because it's disrespectful to the Indians, I guess Nacogdoches and Natchitoches have to change their name too .... 

• Stinks 1

If the Redskins have to change their name because it's disrespectful to the Indians, I guess Nacogdoches and Natchitoches have to change their name too .... Heck, I live on Camp Tonkawa Road, I could be in deep doodoo .....

Edited by KirtFalcon
yo mama
  • Like 1

I don't have a dog in this hunt.  Referring to statues in my area I am strongly against removing them.  Somehow there is this attitude that the memory of our ancestors must be purged.  We are just as American as any Yankee (nobody complains about that name).  Nobody in my family tree was a  slave owner.  But those statues have stood for my lifetime and somebody back when thought it was a good idea to honor men who fought for the south.  It was a CIVIL war and it is over.  Those memorials don't hurt anybody.  We all know how it turned out and the slaves got freed as they should have.  All this political correctness and tiptoeing around what you can say and what you cannot say is very tiring for an old man like me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Stinks 1