Governor and Commissioner Cede Control

Coach0001

7 hours ago, Dawgman said:

Serious question. If the call was made that sports, band could go on without fans in attendance, would you be for it? 
****Disclaimer**** I have not heard this is an option, I just want to hear what people think.

Playing with no crowd? They do that already. It’s called practice. I get that there are some schools that don’t have the fan following for football that ours does. I don’t think any of them are represented here on SDC, but we’ve played some of them. I saw an East Texas school a few years ago bring less than 50 fans to a second round playoff game. I felt sorry for the kids. The kids that play for schools followed by folks here on smoaky are used to playing in front of loud rowdy crowds. Imagine the disappointment for the seniors to play in an empty stadium all year, never hearing the crowd roar when they come out of the inflatable tunnel, not hearing the cheers after a td, not getting to do the hug and picture party with their family after the game, and so on. If you allow bands and cheerleaders, what’s the point? Who are the cheerleaders leading? The band and twirlers are getting a glorified dress rehearsal. The suck factor will be tremendous. Our kids have been done a grave disservice by the people who pushed this giant fear campaign. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Playing with no crowd? They do that already. It’s called practice. I get that there are some schools that don’t have the fan following for football that ours does. I don’t think any of them are represented here on SDC, but we’ve played some of them. I saw an East Texas school a few years ago bring less than 50 fans to a second round playoff game. I felt sorry for the kids. The kids that play for schools followed by folks here on smoaky are used to playing in front of loud rowdy crowds. Imagine the disappointment for the seniors to play in an empty stadium all year, never hearing the crowd roar when they come out of the inflatable tunnel, not hearing the cheers after a td, not getting to do the hug and picture party with their family after the game, and so on. If you allow bands and cheerleaders, what’s the point? Who are the cheerleaders leading? The band and twirlers are getting a glorified dress rehearsal. The #### factor will be tremendous. Our kids have been done a grave disservice by the people who pushed this giant fear campaign. 

Thanks for the response. It’s going to an interesting next few week.

On 7/15/2020 at 11:15 PM, Coach0001 said:

Just an epic fail by state leadership imo to cede control of ISDs to mayors etc who have NO idea about running a school. 

https://www.kens5.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/san-antonio-to-form-task-force-on-safe-reopening-of-schools/273-dc98e862-b781-442f-a5c5-

You know those folks in Austin don’t know how to run a school either  

18 hours ago, Coach0001 said:

I know that local control is not bad.

But with some type of structure to make the decisions made at the local level have some type of continuity.

I have no problem with it on a school level, but I do when it comes to allowing businesses to remain open if when the risk of contracting the disease are low risk.  I feel far more safer in business that have a low occupancy count than those that don't.  Places that I don't like to shop at are grocery stores, malls, and sometimes even the convenience store if there are a large amount of people there.  Usually that's when large families or groups of friends decide to enter convenience stores and they're all over the place or in groups.  I was in Half Price Books yesterday, and while there were probably 40 people in the store they were spread out.  I went to Kohl's on Friday, and I saw maybe 15 people that were shopping in that location, and they were spread out.  I know that some elected officials want to go back to quarantine for all businesses, and I hope that they don't cede control on a local level for everything.  

I can understand with schools, because they are dealing with a large group of people in close confinement.  I know class counts have been an issue in the past, but not for the Wuhan, but for learning purposes.  I think anyone can learn if the class is 3000 or 10 as long as they allow for individual students to ask the teacher questions individually, but I realize that can be a burden for the teacher.  I know some people will say there isn't such a thing as a stupid question.  I disagree, if the person was too stupid not to pay attention during class, and the subject matter was covered.  Isn't that why you're supposed to take notes in class ?  If the subject wasn't fully covered then I'm good with questions from students.  Great teachers don't leave one stone unturned.  They teach precisely concisely.

12 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

I think anyone can learn if the class is 3000 or 10 as long as they allow for individual students to ask the teacher questions individually, but I realize that can be a burden for the teacher.  I know some people will say there isn't such a thing as a stupid question.  I disagree, if the person was too stupid not to pay attention during class, and the subject matter was covered.  Isn't that why you're supposed to take notes in class ?  If the subject wasn't fully covered then I'm good with questions from students.  Great teachers don't leave one stone unturned.  They teach precisely concisely.

In my humble opinion, great teachers aren't so much worried about drilling subject matter as they are equipping the students with the tools necessary to become lifelong learners; to have autonomy over their own education; to turn themselves into productive citizens in the community. Sometimes that includes repeating material to students who missed it, for one reason or another, including just not paying attention. Teachers who simply "teach" material are more irrelevant and obsolete now than they've ever been. There's not a question a student can ask in class that they can't find the answer to on YouTube, and they can replay the video, or scroll through an article, as many times as they need to in order to come to an understanding. Our best teachers have adapted wonderfully during the time of COVID, and it hasn't just been the "young ones." The onus on teachers has shifted dramatically in the past decade and a half. And if we can ever completely get rid of standardized tests, we could usher in a golden era of teaching/education, in my opinion. I've seen several great teachers, especially at the younger grade levels, get squashed by the standardized machine.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

In my humble opinion, great teachers aren't so much worried about drilling subject matter as they are equipping the students with the tools necessary to become lifelong learners; to have autonomy over their own education; to turn themselves into productive citizens in the community. Sometimes that includes repeating material to students who missed it, for one reason or another, including just not paying attention. Teachers who simply "teach" material are more irrelevant and obsolete now than they've ever been. There's not a question a student can ask in class that they can't find the answer to on YouTube, and they can replay the video, or scroll through an article, as many times as they need to in order to come to an understanding. Our best teachers have adapted wonderfully during the time of COVID, and it hasn't just been the "young ones." The onus on teachers has shifted dramatically in the past decade and a half. And if we can ever completely get rid of standardized tests, we could usher in a golden era of teaching/education, in my opinion. I've seen several great teachers, especially at the younger grade levels, get squashed by the standardized machine.

I agree that's another way is to create a teaching environment that students will want to educate themselves.  In my time period that was learning more about the subject at the library through books, periodicals, and newspapers both past and current.  We didn't have Google back then, and microfiche machines was the only way to find old articles that were written on the subject matter that you were researching.  As I stated, repeating the material can become a burden for teachers, and I can understand their frustration with that aspect.  I think teaching involves explaining the material, and then demonstrating how to accomplish the end result.  One of the problems that I had with Common Core math was it complicated the math process instead of simplifying it.  I realize that by doing so it helps to understand Algebra, Trig, and Calculus better, but it's worthless for understanding basic math.  I always thought that repetitive teaching was similar to spinning your tires in mud trying and only staying in one place.  I realize it's been over 30 years since I was in school, and things have changed, but I don't think that learning really ever changes it's simply being taught as you said to teach ourselves, and I see more reliance on computers and calculators to solve or find information we need vs. learning through a hands on approach by the students after observing the teachers approach to the various problems especially with math, science, and even the language arts.  

• Like 2

Notice  fired by the city of Waco on Friday 

if I am in Mart Marlin Mcgregor Etc

I am asking why is a county position ran by the city of Waco and not the County Judge and Commissioners Court?

So the City of Waco is effectively telling your ISD in another town how you can run your school district!

its why I said the Governor and Commissioner ceding control with no orders was curious and would lead to a hodgepodge of things. 

https://wacotrib.com/news/local/waco-mclennan-county-public-health-director-fired-in-middle-of-pandemic/article_29ca2eb5-e33e-5b11-908c-6f49659d9bd2.html#:~:text=Waco-McLennan County Public Health Director Brenda Gray was,a full digital subscriber to read this article.