UIL TO ANNOUNCE MONDAY ABOUT FALLS SPORTS

BlahBlah

1 hour ago, Eagleborn said:

It’s gonna be like a 4th and short in the state finals with game on the line and you punt. 

Maybe we should ask Surratt to make a call to the UIL this afternoon.  Maybe he share his experience & philosophy about punting in the Title games.  😂

If the season can't begin until September, does that mean the games scheduled for the last week of August are canceled or will the schedule remain the same with everything postponed? 

I know the new Gladewater coach had his heart set on upsetting Gilmer in his first game just as Jeff Traylor upset Louvier's Bears in 2000 in his first game as Gilmer coach.

1 hour ago, 36gut said:

If the season can't begin until September, does that mean the games scheduled for the last week of August are canceled or will the schedule remain the same with everything postponed? 

I know the new Gladewater coach had his heart set on upsetting Gilmer in his first game just as Jeff Traylor upset Louvier's Bears in 2000 in his first game as Gilmer coach.

I dont know but I've been waiting 3 years to renew this series. It needs to happen one way or another. Gilmer sure has been putting together a good staff this year. Should actually be a good game with what GW is returning as well. Hopefully we will have a season to even play.

We could easily buy more time if needed to.  Who says football MUST be finished before Christmas?

College and NFL play through the first of the year.  We could too for this season.

Start in October and play till the end of Jan.

Shorten basketball's non-district schedule..... and jump into district quicker.

Week 1: October 9th
Week 11: Dec 18 (end of regular season)
BYE WEEK OF CHRISTMAS
Bi-District: Jan 2 (everyone must play on Saturday)
Area: Jan 7-9
Region Semis: Jan 14-16
Quarterfinals: Jan 21-23
Semifinals: Jan 28-30
State Championships: Feb 3-6

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

It could work most basketball teams aren’t a full force due to football anyways so that could work. Most people want our normal lives back. However, we never experienced this problem with no football. You can fake it in March but football season lol.

IMHO....there's no reason for ANY sports to be cancelled for the 2020-21 school year.... even if we shut them down completely the entire first semester and only played in the spring/summer.

It would just take some flexibility and creativity. 

Baseball and softball could play well into July if they HAD to.  Not like kids aren't playing in summer leagues after UIL is done anyway.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

It could work most basketball teams aren’t a full force due to football anyways so that could work. Most people want our normal lives back. However, we never experienced this problem with no football. You can fake it in March but football season lol.

Can’t speak for anyone else but my life has been normal. 

11 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

Can’t speak for anyone else but my life has been normal. 

You're lucky. 

I’ve had two vacations cancelled.  One to Puerto Vallarta.  Another was a cruise. 

Can’t go out for drinks with friends.  

Haven't been to a movie since February 

Can’t visit family in assisted living  

Had 2 friends postpone their weddings till further notice  

I miss sports. 

And don’t even get me started about how all this mess has turned work upside down.  ER has become a zoo.   The PPE.  The increase in acuity.

i am physically tired of COVID.  It wears me out everyday   But I’m tired of it following me everywhere.  TV, social media, family, friends 

No one will be happier to see it gone than me  

be gone 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

We could easily buy more time if needed to.  Who says football MUST be finished before Christmas?

College and NFL play through the first of the year.  We could too for this season.

BYE WEEK OF CHRISTMAS

Personally I don’t think that works for small schools. 99% of our basketball players play football. 85-90% of our baseball players play basketball. I think that’s too much overlap for small schools, IMO. I do think it would work for larger classifications where there’s a larger pool of kids.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dawgman said:

Personally I don’t think that works for small schools. 99% of our basketball players play football. 85-90% of our baseball players play basketball. I think that’s too much overlap for small schools, IMO. I do think it would work for larger classifications where there’s a larger pool of kids.

It would definitely be harder on the smaller schools.  

IMHO.... they could play well into the summer to spread everything out enough for all sports for all classifications.  

If athletes can transition from one sport to another in the fall and spring.... they can in the summer.  Finish baseball and softball in August if you have to. 

Make it work.  

12 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

BYE WEEK OF CHRISTMAS

I like this but start 1 wk sooner and get bi district done before Christmas so to have eliminated more schools.

6 minutes ago, BuckNut said:

I like this but start 1 wk sooner and get bi district done before Christmas so to have eliminated more schools.

I don’t think most coaches would want a bye after the playoffs started.  

Makes sense to put the bye at the end of the regular season.  Then play continuously through the playoffs. 

But either would work, really. Whatever the coaches would prefer.  

2 hours ago, randomuser said:

Why even have a BYE, save a week and keep playing.

You could.  

But a bye the week of Christmas eliminates a lot of of other problems with travel, distraction, etc.  

17 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

You're lucky. 

I’ve had two vacations cancelled.  One to Puerto Vallarta.  Another was a cruise. 

Can’t go out for drinks with friends.  

Haven't been to a movie since February 

Can’t visit family in assisted living  

Had 2 friends postpone their weddings till further notice  

I miss sports. 

And don’t even get me started about how all this mess has turned work upside down.  ER has become a zoo.   The PPE.  The increase in acuity.

i am physically tired of COVID.  It wears me out everyday   But I’m tired of it following me everywhere.  TV, social media, family, friends 

No one will be happier to see it gone than me  

be gone 

How bad has it actually been?  Is it really as bad as has been out there in the media?

My thought on all this is this:

Push football back a month, get full season in.

Push basketball back a month but eliminate a tournament 

Keep baseball the same, eliminate a tournament and probably finish close to the same time.

track,golf, etc can all be done as normal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dogs3505 said:

How bad has it actually been?  Is it really as bad as has been out there in the media?

Yes....It has been overblown by the media.  A disservice to the public   

Yes.....It’s not being taken seriously enough by others.  Total denial by some   

Both are equally guilty of making this worse than it needs to be. 

We should be doing better than we are.... but personal liberties seem to be more important than community health..... until it affects the health of someone you know.

I’m biased.....and I know it.  I work with COVID patients every day.  I’ve seen it ruin some people’s lives.   I’ve seen families crushed.  Can’t unsee and forget that stuff. 

I wish the media would shut up.  I wish people would take it seriously. 

But I wish I’d win the the lottery too.   Soooo....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2