The Smoakhouse Forums

UIL TO ANNOUNCE MONDAY ABOUT FALLS SPORTS

Spent 33 yrs in education and 17 as a HFC. This is the craziest thing I’ve ever heard. We can’t start school in the building but we can work out all summer and start practice in two weeks. The UIL and TEA need to try talking to each other so the message is the same. Nothing about this says “best interest of the kids”. Guess that is just a tag line in cases where everything is going good.

• Like 1
  • Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is America. EVERYTHING is political hyperbole.

We could easily buy more time if needed to.  Who says football MUST be finished before Christmas? College and NFL play through the first of the year.  We could too for this season. Start in

The virus is very real if you are already in bad health.  For everyone else the virus is much less dangerous than the seasonal flu.  The response is a HOAX!  The logical response would have been to do

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, BACKnBLACK said:

So they are playing 4 weeks later than scheduled. So what. We have a season. Great news !   

5 weeks, but it looks like it will be 6 weeks for those schools that are shut down until Sept 7.

57 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

I just don't understand the decision. I want to see football as much as anyone (I will seriously be unbearable to be around this Fall if we don't have it, lol), but what is the justification behind allowing 1A-4A to play, and not 5&6A? Are kids at 1-4A schools immune?

Just saw this...

• Thanks 1

Carrollton Ranchview is a 4A school in Dallas County...and in a district with Anna, Melissa, Argyle, Kaufman, Terrell and Paris...gonna be interesting to see how that plays out,

I think this is just a baseline to throw something out there. with Covid numbers still on the rise, and school opens, it will determine the future of fall sports. This is a long way from over. Not to mention parents pulling kids from extra carciricular activities. Tough decisions ahead. 

18 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Just saw this...

So it sounds like this decision was made due to the fact many of those larger districts have also delayed the first day of school, as well as when they'll return in person (for example, ALL of Dallas County will be virtual until Sept. 8th.  If that's the case, then yes, it makes more sense.

12 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I’m just happy they didn’t treat 2A/3A schools like 6A schools.

As long as I can get my Eagle Burger and social distance by the end zone chain link fence, I’m good.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, GOLEE said:

I think this is just a baseline to throw something out there. with Covid numbers still on the rise, and school opens, it will determine the future of fall sports. This is a long way from over. Not to mention parents pulling kids from extra carciricular activities. Tough decisions ahead. 

This 👆.  Will most likely not be the final guidance.  Think iPhone.  What are we on now v11 or v12?

Teams are starting to scramble right now to fix the schedules to play. Lots of smaller schools were trying to play up in non-district. Going to be interesting to see who does what. I'm glad to just be able to play. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ctown81 said:

I imagine people at powerhouses care. The preseason has been responsible for many of Carthage's state titles.

10 schools out of the many hundreds we have in this state does not move the needle for me... And Carthage would have probably been just fine without non-district

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

I’m just happy they didn’t treat 2A/3A schools like 6A schools.

Why would they? Small schools make TXHSFB. 

17 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

Why would they? Small schools make TXHSFB. 

They always have. 

I did see a stat on Twitter that said that 81% of THSF players are in 5A/6A though 

As of yesterday, there are still exactly ZERO deaths attributed to Covid-19 in Texas for people under the age of 20.  And as liberally as they counted some of these deaths, that means something.

I know kids who have had it and it ain't no joke, but the response is disproportional to the science. Death rate in Texas for all ages is 1.22%. Protect the sick, the old, and the vulnerable and let people have their lives back.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

10 schools out of the many hundreds we have in this state does not move the needle for me... And Carthage would have probably been just fine without non-district

Well I guess you don't know why preseason is important. I understand if you don't follow Carthage but that's a major part of the reason of their success. hopefully all high schools are using the preseason to prepare for additional own playoff run. No one wants to see sloppy football by time district starts.

47 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

As of yesterday, there are still exactly ZERO deaths attributed to Covid-19 in Texas for people under the age of 20.  And as liberally as they counted some of these deaths, that means something.

I know kids who have had it and it ain't no joke, but the response is disproportional to the science. Death rate in Texas for all ages is 1.22%. Protect the sick, the old, and the vulnerable and let people have their lives back.

I know of at least one so what did you get the information from? 

50 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

They always have. 

I did see a stat on Twitter that said that 81% of THSF players are in 5A/6A though 

More kids signed to play college ball in 2a then 6a this last year ratio wise as did 4a... Talent is at every level but depth is not... Give me small ball any day

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

I know of at least one so what did you get the information from? 

Texas department of state health services and Texas Health and human services covid-19 dashboard.

https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/ed483ecd702b4298ab01e8b9cafc8b83

3 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

Oh ok. I was about to say.  It's more than zero, just not by much.

It shows zero under 20 years old....

1 hour ago, ctown81 said:

Well I guess you don't know why preseason is important. I understand if you don't follow Carthage but that's a major part of the reason of their success. hopefully all high schools are using the preseason to prepare for additional own playoff run. No one wants to see sloppy football by time district starts.

I agree its important, but is it "5 games" important?  You have to slightly understand where I am coming from... at the 4A level most schools have 2 scrimmages and 4-5 non-district games... that is basically almost 6 full games and 8 weeks of practice before you play the 4-5 games that actually count.  And a year like this, where shortening the season was close to being a reality a few days ago, I'd rather play the games that matter over the ones that don't.  You are arguing over "importance" of games that have nothing to do with the playoffs during a Pandemic that has already shut down the world once...  There is no fight here.  I'd prefer to have my 10 game season too, but if I had to choose, I'd pick the games that count.

Sunnyvale Dallas Madison etc are in Dallas County wonder how that is going to work for the scattered 3A and 4a programs through the different metro areas?