Week One: Longview vs Temple

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (0-0) vs Temple Wildcats (0-0)  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Temple in a close one
    • Temple in a blow out
    • COVID in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/26/2020 at 12:30 AM

9 hours ago, ANTI said:

We have the targets for a vertical game. Just a matter of getting them the ball.

None of that will matter though until this OL arrives.

Which QB did you think was better?

Grant went 11-16 for 110, a TD and an INT

Allen went 5-9 for 47

Honestly, i felt like Allen was the better QB. I don't understand why he didn't get more playing time in the second half. Makes no sense to me.

17 minutes ago, Gametyme said:

I thought  Allen for sure should had got more burn. I didnt want to say anything but during the scrimmage against Texas High I knew he wasn't going to be there yet. Hell the Allen led the opening drive for a TD. But I dont watch the kids everyday. What did you think about my kid out there ? 

Tbh...

I've seen both Allen and Grant plenty of times over the course of fall ball. And its been a back and forth effort nearly every practice. 

I've seen Grant look good when Allen looked bad, and vice versa. 

Shockingly enough, I still left AT&T last night with no definitive answer as to who should be QB1.

Landyn actually had an efficient night, going 11-16 but also had a pick and had trouble managing the O at times. Also threw a TD dart to Jalen Hale, and had another TD dropped by Kaden Meredith. Landyn is the better arm talent of the two, intermediate to long passes. Negatives?

- needs to calm down and just play his game. He seems a little tense out there

- needs to make his decisions quicker on rollout passes. Timing is everything in these type of plays...if someone is open...you get it to them as quickly as possible. If there's nothing there, either takeoff running or throw it away

- needs to work on his management. Several occasions, Grant didnt keep an eye on the clock and we had to burn a timeout because of that

- has to make the correct read. He goes through his progressions which is encouraging but doesnt always make the right decisions

Allen is more calmer and the O tends to flow a little more smooth because of that. He's been doing this stuff since Foster MS, maybe prior. Grant in his 2nd year learning the system. So as far as knowing the system, Allen has the edge there. I'd give Allen's arm the edge on short patterns...better with his feet than Grant. Negatives?

- needs to work on his arm strength and accuracy on intermediate/deep balls

- needs to progress through his reads and not focus on one pass catcher

- has a small tendency to bobble the ball on snaps and runner exchanges. 

- needs to react quicker on out routes. His balls are a little late when passes are toward the sideline

Sophomores playing like sophomores in the middle of a pandemic is expected. I like both and they'll get better. But I know Landyn's potential in the long run is very high.

I know many questioned King's decision to give him majority of the snaps, but the plan was always to give one QB more snaps over the other throughout predistrict or until someone started seperating from the other. You can expect to see mostly Allen next Friday in Marshall.

MHP has a bright future. We didnt get to see him throw much last night but if nothing else, he'll be a problem for defenses in the future with his feet.

On 9/26/2020 at 10:57 AM, LoboFan07 said:

Honestly, i felt like Allen was the better QB. I don't understand why he didn't get more playing time in the second half. Makes no sense to me.

In a small sample size watching Allen vs Grant. When attempting to throw, Allen's mechanics takes a few seconds longer during his release as he does this "wind up" motion before throwing/releasing the ball.

Grant's mechanics are pretty exceptional. When going through his stepbacks and planting, he is solid. He's not doing a lot of unnecessary bouncing and pivoting. His arm is parallel with his chin and like a bow-hunter in the forest, his release is almost dart like with velocity, zip and accuracy FOR THE MOST part.

I believe as someone mentioned earlier where the (+/-) is coming in at with these two is Allen's familiarity with schemes or what have you coming up through L.I.S.D. through the years preceding Grant's arrival.

Albeit, Grant has had an entire year as a Freshman to get acclimated to the system, you can NOT replicate the speed and depth you'll get at our lower levels from the Lufkins, Tylers, Marshalls and Evangels compared to White Oak, Spring Hills, Jeffersons, Gladewaters, Sabines and West Rusks of the world. 

• Like 1