The OFFICIAL 2020 Houston Astros Thread

Wild74

HOUSTON (AP) The Houston Astros are trying to put their sign-stealing scandal behind them.

It seems as if the Los Angeles Dodgers have their own thoughts on the matter.

Benches cleared Tuesday night during the Dodgers' 5-2 victory over the Astros in the first game between the teams since it was revealed that Houston stole signs en route to a 2017 World Series championship that came at Los Angeles' expense.

The fracas occurred after Dodgers reliever Joe Kelly threw high-and-tight pitches to Astros stars Alex Bregman and Carlos Correa in the sixth inning.

''Balls get away sometimes but not that many in the big leagues,'' Houston manager Dusty Baker said. ''When you throw a 3-0 fastball over a guy's head you're flirting with ending his career.''

The Dodgers had a 5-2 lead after a five-run fifth when Kelly, who was with Boston in 2017 and also faced Houston that postseason, threw behind Bregman for ball four. Bregman grimaced after jumping to avoid being hit, then trotted to first base.

There were two outs in the inning when Kelly threw an errant breaking ball over Correa's head. Correa, who homered and finished with three hits, took off his batting helmet and stared Kelly down before continuing the at-bat.

Kelly struck out Correa, then stuck out his tongue and made a face in his direction. Correa started walking toward him and the players exchanged words, prompting the benches to clear in the first such incident of this pandemic-delayed season. There was plenty of yelling and crowding - outlawed as MLB tries to play a 60-game season amid the pandemic - but there was no pushing or punches thrown.

Best way to beat a punk like that is to knock the cover off the ball Correa didn't do it but he did have a good night at the plate

Joe Kelly with an 8-game suspension. Dave Robert's with a 1-game suspension. Dusty Baker fined.

Baker was the perfect hire for this situation. Can't repeat what he said during the game here, but I like him a lot more now. I like his rationale for no retaliating last night, but the fact we aren't going to back down when teams pull these stunts...

On 7/29/2020 at 1:03 PM, Wild74 said:

HOUSTON (AP) The Houston Astros are trying to put their sign-stealing scandal behind them.

It seems as if the Los Angeles Dodgers have their own thoughts on the matter.

Benches cleared Tuesday night during the Dodgers' 5-2 victory over the Astros in the first game between the teams since it was revealed that Houston stole signs en route to a 2017 World Series championship that came at Los Angeles' expense.

The fracas occurred after Dodgers reliever Joe Kelly threw high-and-tight pitches to Astros stars Alex Bregman and Carlos Correa in the sixth inning.

''Balls get away sometimes but not that many in the big leagues,'' Houston manager Dusty Baker said. ''When you throw a 3-0 fastball over a guy's head you're flirting with ending his career.''

The Dodgers had a 5-2 lead after a five-run fifth when Kelly, who was with Boston in 2017 and also faced Houston that postseason, threw behind Bregman for ball four. Bregman grimaced after jumping to avoid being hit, then trotted to first base.

There were two outs in the inning when Kelly threw an errant breaking ball over Correa's head. Correa, who homered and finished with three hits, took off his batting helmet and stared Kelly down before continuing the at-bat.

Kelly struck out Correa, then stuck out his tongue and made a face in his direction. Correa started walking toward him and the players exchanged words, prompting the benches to clear in the first such incident of this pandemic-delayed season. There was plenty of yelling and crowding - outlawed as MLB tries to play a 60-game season amid the pandemic - but there was no pushing or punches thrown.

Best way to beat a punk like that is to knock the cover off the ball Correa didn't do it but he did have a good night at the plate

If you are going to throw at someone you don’t throw at their head. He deserves his suspension.

2 hours ago, Wild74 said:

Yeah he was a butt, he wasn't even on the Dodgers team in 2017...lol

But ironically he WAS on the 2018 Red Sox team that was found guilty and punished for the same thing.  ......but of course he had no knowledge of that  🤔

• Thanks 1

On 8/2/2020 at 3:15 PM, Wild74 said:

Whitney not called up because he has a sore arm. Sore arm Astros 

I hate to say it but he may be one of the biggest busts in Astros history.   And I was one of his biggest fans.    2 years ago the sky was the limit for him and Tucker.   

2 hours ago, topher805 said:

Injuries aren't funny, but this situation is starting to get pretty humorous. 

If this requires TJ surgery for Osuna, we have seen him throw his last pitch for the Astros. Not sad about that...

I can't decide what to think about Osuna.   I've really tried to dig in the past about exactly what he was accused of.  It is a really strange story........   I'm not defending him at all.  There is just not a definitive story out there. It may have been much worse for all I know.   But any time there are not charges, no sign of a big payoff, and the other party disappears to another country you know it has to be strange.