The OFFICIAL 2020 Houston Astros Thread

Wild74

My early review of the Houston Astros is not a very good one. Everyone know the Astros pitching staff has been racked by injuries but before that we had a good starting staff even with the loss of Cole. JV, Zack, & Lance.Ā Ā JoseĀ Urquidy was tapped as the 4th or 5th starter and has a injury that no one wants to disclose and Josh James was the 5th started and so far has really stunk when he starts and even in relief. James can't throw strikes and has a 100 mph fastball that does not have any movement on it. Bielak has been a pleasant surprise with the other wise disappointment from Pressley thus far. I will say Valdez looked really good in his last outing but had no relief help and certainly no hitting backing up his last start. Moving on Altuve is hitting below 200 which is noĀ help to the team, Bregman off to a slow start along with the often hurt Springer. Brantley started fast as did Correa and Yuli seems to be coming on. Reddick is so so. Alvarez is still hurt and would be a great addition at the DH right now because spit and wipe Tucker is a no show at the plate along with the speedy but I can't hit and get on base Straw. Maldonado is about what is expected for a Houston catcher good defense but limited bat and take down Gameau is not close to an improvement. Diaz the super hurt utility player is no Marvin Gonzalez. In summary a slow start does not bode well for a 60 game season.Ā 

Starting pitching hasn't been bad. The bullpen struggles, while I didn't want to see, are to be expected to some extent. Teams are getting a book on these young guys now, and good hitters are teeing off on A-ball studs...

The bats stink right now, but that isn't something I am too concerned about. I have faith in Altuve, Springer, and Bregman should turn it around. Bregman is historically a slow starter, and I think the other two are pressing. Alvarez is about a week from coming back (Baker wants 20-30 more at-bats from Alvarez in Corpus). The hitting is actually the least of my worries, but in a truncated season, they need to pick it up here soon.

The rotation is the hard pill to swallow. JV getting hurt (Still no update btw) was a huge blow. I think McCullers is starting to settle in now, and will be just fine. James needs time in Corpus to fix whatever his problem is. I hear Urquidy isn't far from returning either.

To date, this has been a very frustrating season, but one that still has a lot of time and potential to be righted...

58 minutes ago, topher805 said:

Starting pitching hasn't been bad. The bullpen struggles, while I didn't want to see, are to be expected to some extent. Teams are getting a book on these young guys now, and good hitters are teeing off on A-ball studs...

The bats stink right now, but that isn't something I am too concerned about. I have faith in Altuve, Springer, and Bregman should turn it around. Bregman is historically a slow starter, and I think the other two are pressing. Alvarez is about a week from coming back (Baker wants 20-30 more at-bats from Alvarez in Corpus). The hitting is actually the least of my worries, but in a truncated season, they need to pick it up here soon.

The rotation is the hard pill to swallow. JV getting hurt (Still no update btw) was a huge blow. I think McCullers is starting to settle in now, and will be just fine. James needs time in Corpus to fix whatever his problem is. I hear Urquidy isn't far from returning either.

To date, this has been a very frustrating season, but one that still has a lot of time and potential to be righted...

I wouldn't be worried right now if it wasn't far the shorten season. Tucker is slated to replace Reddick and Straw to replace Springer if we lose him to FA. Right now neither one is impressing and they are getting that chance so I hope they can pick it up

4 hours ago, Wild74 said:

I wouldn't be worried right now if it wasn't far the shorten season. Tucker is slated to replace Reddick and Straw to replace Springer if we lose him to FA. Right now neither one is impressing and they are getting that chance so I hope they can pick it up

Tucker has flashes...Straw has shown me nothing. Even his defense has been bad

4 hours ago, topher805 said:

Tucker has flashes...Straw has shown me nothing. Even his defense has been bad

His defense has been atrocious.

I'm most intrigued about WTH is going on with Alvarez.........Ā  Ā  Ā  With the bullpen we have now there is absolutely no reason to believe the Astros will do any damage even IF they can somehow make it into the playoffs.Ā  I don't see how this team can realistically do anything this year.Ā  And with all the anger directed at them I did not really have high expectations anyway.Ā Ā 

50 minutes ago, THSfanatic said:

His defense has been atrocious.

I'm most intrigued about WTH is going on with Alvarez.........Ā  Ā  Ā  With the bullpen we have now there is absolutely no reason to believe the Astros will do any damage even IF they can somehow make it into the playoffs.Ā  I don't see how this team can realistically do anything this year.Ā  And with all the anger directed at them I did not really have high expectations anyway.Ā Ā 

They have some interesting pieces in the bullpen with Blake Taylor, Parades, and Abreu. They added a veteran in Brooks Raley from the Reds, and we still have guys like Peacock, Pruitt and the aforementioned Urquidy coming back from injury. All we need to do is get healthy and make the playoffs. That just means get second in the division. Get second and we are in.Ā 

Alvarez is a weird case. He hasn't been connected with Covid. A lot of talk about his knee, but nothing solid. Honestly, I don't care too much what was wrong as long as he is healthy and can contribute ASAP.Ā 

6-2 lead going into the 7th Pressly 2nd blown save, Sneed to the loss and Taylor gives up a 3 run dinger to Pence who was in a 1-32 slump. Starting pitching was good again but looks like they will have to go a full 9 to win a close game.Ā 

Yordan AlvarezĀ was scratched from the Astros' lineup on Sunday with right knee discomfort. He's played just two games since rejoining the team last week.

Just a little advice Yordan get your dang knees fixed and in order should have done that in the off season. At your age you should not have knee problems so get them fixed. This season is a wash anyhow and will need him down the road.Ā 

I will say this to the Astros and their organization, it doesn't take courage not to play when there is no fans in the stand, do it when people have paid 100 bucks for a ticket and no telling what to park, do it then and see what you unleash. Doing it this way you have no skin in the game that makes you cowards.Ā Ā 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

Screw the Astros and all the other sports....if you are still supporting any of these teams and their social justice BS you probably support Biden........

Guess who doesnā€™t care about any pro sports anymoreĀ 

ME!

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Thanks 1