The OFFICIAL 2020 Houston Astros Thread

Wild74

1 hour ago, topher805 said:

Verlander announces he will undergo Tommy John Surgery. Career as an Astro likely done...

That's what bugs me about many injuries.  We're seeing it happen too often.  They don't get the surgery, and try to recover without it, then when they're done rehabbing they start practicing again, and boom this.  Just get the surgery so that the true recovery process is completed.  The Astros are done for this year.  

5 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

That's what bugs me about many injuries.  We're seeing it happen too often.  They don't get the surgery, and try to recover without it, then when they're done rehabbing they start practicing again, and boom this.  Just get the surgery so that the true recovery process is completed.  The Astros are done for this year.  

That was my first thought. He should have gotten the surgery in July when he initially went on the IL...Done for the year? I think their championship window is now closed for the foreseeable future

13 minutes ago, topher805 said:

That was my first thought. He should have gotten the surgery in July when he initially went on the IL...Done for the year? I think their championship window is now closed for the foreseeable future

I think now would be a good time to unload and reload.  We should try and get a new batch of young players in here via trade of anyone that will bring young top tier prospects, and that includes everyone.  The Cardinals have went with that plan, and they've been in the playoffs 13 of the last 21 seasons with 10 NLCS appearances, and a 2-2 record in the World Series.

3 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

I think now would be a good time to unload and reload.  We should try and get a new batch of young players in here via trade of anyone that will bring young top tier prospects, and that includes everyone.  The Cardinals have went with that plan, and they've been in the playoffs 13 of the last 21 seasons with 10 NLCS appearances, and a 2-2 record in the World Series.

I think that is the plan. They will build around Bregman, Altuve, and possibly Correa. Good enough to win, and bridge the gap for the next crew. Bregman/Correa could anchor this team for another decade.

Good plan.....but Correa ain't staying.   You got a better shot with Springer.

When this year is finally put to bed the thing that will linger for me is how bad Altuve has actually stunk it up the entire year. From his .205 average to the multiple errors to the atrocious base running. He has played ball from the first pitch of the season like an A ball level player.

16 minutes ago, THSfanatic said:

Astros extended Yuli today through 2021 with an option for a 2nd year.    6.5M is what I read.   Seems a fair and team friendly offer.   They really have no hot prospects coming up at 1st behind him.   Good news

Good deal, but he isn't getting younger. I am starting to think we resign Springer too. Reddick is gone for sure. Now we wait to see what happens with Correa...

Just my opinion......I think we have about a 25% chance (not good) of signing Springer to stay and probably around a 10% on Correa.    If I had to choose I'd take Springer in a heartbeat eventhough Correa is truly the better talent.   Correa is not reliable and/or durable.

13 hours ago, THSfanatic said:

Just my opinion......I think we have about a 25% chance (not good) of signing Springer to stay and probably around a 10% on Correa.    If I had to choose I'd take Springer in a heartbeat eventhough Correa is truly the better talent.   Correa is not reliable and/or durable.

Depends on Crane if whether or not he wants to pay the luxury tax. I think we have a fairly good shot at Springer the more I think about it...Correa is the harder one to gauge..

Somehow. Someway. The Astros are in the ALCS foe the fourth straight season. The bats woke up and the pitching (minus Pressley) was great

Fun fact, the Astros saw all of the A's pitcher this series except for one...Mike Fiers

Fiers is also the only A's pitcher to not face the Astros during the regular season. 

17 hours ago, topher805 said:

Somehow. Someway. The Astros are in the ALCS foe the fourth straight season. The bats woke up and the pitching (minus Pressley) was great

Fun fact, the Astros saw all of the A's pitcher this series except for one...Mike Fiers

Fiers is also the only A's pitcher to not face the Astros during the regular season. 

I would love to have seen the Astros face this team rat. 

Round of applause for Framber. Man was outstanding last night. A bad pitch in the 4th and a good piece of hitting in the 5th the difference. 

Astros put the ball in play and piled up hits, but never converted. The double play in the 4th was bad. The bases loaded ground out from Yuli in the 7th was horrific. That was a game Houston should have won...

We know we can play with them so let's bounce back tonight. LMJ vs Uncle Chuck...

6 hours ago, THSfanatic said:

What the Astros have accomplished given their pitching situation is nothing less than amazing. Regardless of outcome this is way beyond my expectations.

Waaaay beyond expectations. What looked to be a dud staff for 2021, now looks excellent. McCullers, Greinke, Urquidy, Valdez, and Javier? I'll take that crew...

Season over and what a ride it was. Proud of what this team accomplished and excited for their future.

First we have to get through this off-season. Some big decisions have to be made...Hopefully this wasn't ours time to see Springer in an Astros uniform, but if it is I am forever thankful for his time. That also means the Astros will be all in on retaining Correa which is a MUST regardless. Dude grew up before our eyes this year. 

1 hour ago, Wild74 said:

I would like to see what he actually knew and if Crane just throwed him under the bus with Hinch 

He didn't tip a lot of info like expected. Some new tidbits, but a lot of denial from him. More I read and think, the more I'm torn. I feel for the guy and I am grateful for what he did for the Astros organization (Built a heck of a roster and farm system). On the other hand I feel like he is a bit of a weasel and had to have known...

If push came to shove, I'd love to have him back with the Astros. I'd take him with the Texans or Rockets in a heartbeat as well. Just a weird situation...

18 minutes ago, topher805 said:

He didn't tip a lot of info like expected. Some new tidbits, but a lot of denial from him. More I read and think, the more I'm torn. I feel for the guy and I am grateful for what he did for the Astros organization (Built a heck of a roster and farm system). On the other hand I feel like he is a bit of a weasel and had to have known...

If push came to shove, I'd love to have him back with the Astros. I'd take him with the Texans or Rockets in a heartbeat as well. Just a weird situation...

I canceled my twitter account so I will take what you said I always liked him and thought he did a great job for the Astros rebuilding a lost team. 

2 hours ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

I know their still will be haters but Houston gained some respect by being consistently competitive. Even without the whole sign stealing they are good enough as a WS type of team.

I think that is the toughest pill to swallow. The Astros were good enough without the sign stealing. When the news broke, it kind of negated the Astros run in 2019 even through it was done without cheating. It took this season to get people to realize how good this team is. Plus I think their grit against TB won back a few haters. 

Best part? I don't think the window is closed yet. The young pitchers stepped up big and will keep that window open a little longer. Just depends on how we handle Brantley (Gone IMO), Springer (Gone IMO), and Correa (Staying).

Started a podcast today called The Edge: Houston Astros that does some digging into the whole ordeal. So far it is good. Has people from around the organization and obviously people outside. A lot of different perspectives instead of the lazy take we get from mainstream media...

• Like 1