The OFFICIAL 2020 Houston Astros Thread

Wild74

I have more hope now for the next 3-4 years than I did at the start of the year. Even though I think we may/probably will lose Springer this year I can't help but be excited about the talented young arms that have seemingly appeared out of nowhere.  If we can just hold one of either Springer or Correa in the next 2 years I like our position.  Verlander and Greinke's contract will be off the books after next year freeing up lots of money to add some talent to the Tucker/Bregman/Altuve base. But.......we've gotta get Alvarez back. Having double knee surgery this young is a bad sign.  He would be the difference maker offensively.

• 2 weeks later...

Astros made their qualifying offer to Springer yesterday...Houston did not extend a qualifying offer to Michael Brantley, Brad Peacock, or Josh Reddick...

Osuna, Devenski, De Jong, and Garneau all cleared waivers and have elected to enter Free Agency. 

This will be a very good, but a very different team in 2021...

I'm not the biggest Correa fan. I think he has been suspect in some of his injuries to say the least. But he was absolutely robbed of a Gold Glove this year. I've read the articles pro and con.   Supposedly it was done with a computer & not by a vote. But nobody can make an argument on why he didn't win and I haven't really seen anybody try.

• 2 months later...
On 1/20/2021 at 11:14 AM, topher805 said:

Brantley will be joining Springer in Toronto after signing a 3-yaer deal with the Blue Jays today

In a shocking & very rewarding turn of events Brantley has signed a 2 year extension with the Astros !!!!

What an exciting turn of events 👌

Saw that...Lineup still looks strong

LF - Brantley
2B - Altuve
3B - Bregman
DH - Alvarez
SS - Correa
RF - Tucker
1B - Gurriel
C - Maldonado

It was announced that Jason Castro has signed with the Astros and will be making his triumphant return to Houston. Now they need to find a CF. I know they are in the market for Jackie Bradley Jr. and Marcel Ozuna. Jake Marisnick has also been mentioned as a guy that could return to Houston. I say save the money and add Marisnick, and invest that money into the bullpen.

29 minutes ago, topher805 said:

Saw that...Lineup still looks strong

LF - Brantley
2B - Altuve
3B - Bregman
DH - Alvarez
SS - Correa
RF - Tucker
1B - Gurriel
C - Maldonado

It was announced that Jason Castro has signed with the Astros and will be making his triumphant return to Houston. Now they need to find a CF. I know they are in the market for Jackie Bradley Jr. and Marcel Ozuna. Jake Marisnick has also been mentioned as a guy that could return to Houston. I say save the money and add Marisnick, and invest that money into the bullpen.

I was surprised to see Brantley resign with the Stros very happy about that, Castro is little hit but a solid backstop, haven't heard that rumor about Marisnick but he was always a crowd favorite with great defense with spurts of offense. Alvarez playing a full year should make up for the lost production that Springer had. Pitching looks solid and the bullpen is coming along. Should be a good year if MLB decides to play baseball and not politics 

30 minutes ago, Wild74 said:

I was surprised to see Brantley resign with the Stros very happy about that, Castro is little hit but a solid backstop, haven't heard that rumor about Marisnick but he was always a crowd favorite with great defense with spurts of offense. Alvarez playing a full year should make up for the lost production that Springer had. Pitching looks solid and the bullpen is coming along. Should be a good year if MLB decides to play baseball and not politics 

Apparently the pitching staff was elated about the signing of Castro. Gives them two above average defensive catchers that can call the heck out of a game. Won't be like last year when there was a big drop off.

I would love Marisnick, especially with Alvarez back and the emergence of Tucker at the plate. Doesn't put as much pressure on Jake at the plate.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, topher805 said:

Apparently the pitching staff was elated about the signing of Castro. Gives them two above average defensive catchers that can call the heck out of a game. Won't be like last year when there was a big drop off.

I would love Marisnick, especially with Alvarez back and the emergence of Tucker at the plate. Doesn't put as much pressure on Jake at the plate.

I always liked Jake he is top notch hustle 

• 1 month later...