20/21 Bowl Games

I have not heard of any Bowl games being cancelled yet. Assuming conferences all go to conference games only, wonder it the minimum number of wins will change. Currently teams appear to be playing approximately 10 games. Getting 6 wins will be difficult and conferences that are not balanced might not have enough teams that qualify for Bowl consideration.

21 hours ago, bordertown said:

I have not heard of any Bowl games being cancelled yet. Assuming conferences all go to conference games only, wonder it the minimum number of wins will change. Currently teams appear to be playing approximately 10 games. Getting 6 wins will be difficult and conferences that are not balanced might not have enough teams that qualify for Bowl consideration.

Considering that, and assuming we actually have a bowl season, I would think that there would be changes in the eligibility requirements. The lower tier bowls are always filled with 6-6 teams, and most of those teams get to 6 wins with their OOC games. If, for example, South Carolina replaces The Citadel and East Carolina with Alabama and LSU, that puts a big dent in their hopes for a trip to the Liberty Bowl. 

8 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Considering that, and assuming we actually have a bowl season, I would think that there would be changes in the eligibility requirements. The lower tier bowls are always filled with 6-6 teams, and most of those teams get to 6 wins with their OOC games. If, for example, South Carolina replaces The Citadel and East Carolina with Alabama and LSU, that puts a big dent in their hopes for a trip to the Liberty Bowl. 

Also, you might see some of the lower tier bowls cancel their games, depending on attendance restrictions. One of their reasons for existing is the “economic impact” they have on the host city. If games are to be played in empty stadiums and the Independence Bowl can’t draw the dozens and dozens of fans it brings to Shreveport, what’s the point? 

On 7/30/2020 at 7:55 AM, bordertown said:

Who cares, maybe some of the crappy bowls wil dry up and go away.  Maybe this is the year we can prove an 8 team playoff is the best utilizing the New Year’s Day bowls as the playoffs.  Who cares about Tulane playing in the R&L carriers created so Tulane would have a bowl to go to bowl.  Or the Honolulu Bowl so Hawaii will have a bowl to play in.  There’s way to many FBS teams now and way too many bowl games

3 hours ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

Probably cost more $$ than they actually make. I would find it interesting knowing the bottom line each bowl gets. Just marketing your sponsor is not enough. I believe they’re way too many bowl games and I wouldn’t let 6-6 teams in. Rewarding mediocrity is basically what you’re doing. More Sec vs Big 12 matchups will move the needle for me. 

The bowls make money or they wouldn't keep doing them.   You are highly underestimating the value of sponsors and TV contracts.  Not having fans at them hurts their profits in the stadium, but the bowl itself is great money.

3 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

The bowls make money or they wouldn't keep doing them.   You are highly underestimating the value of sponsors and TV contracts.  Not having fans at them hurts their profits in the stadium, but the bowl itself is great money.

If the lower tier bowls make great money, why does the sponsorship change so often? 

33 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

He said that the bowls make money. He didn’t say it was great exposure for the sponsor. 

Hey now, I almost wanted to buy a new weed eater after watching the ‘99 Independence Bowl.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

27 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

I think the two go hand in hand. 

You are confusing this whole situation.  Let’s look at the Independence Bowl.  It is run by a committee.  They find as many sponsors as they can.  They already have their set payout for the teams which is typically covered mostly by their TV revenue (ESPN contract).  Sponsors basically pay for the stadium rental (which I don’t think the Indy committee actually has to pay) workers, utilities etc.  the rest is profit.  If your TV contract makes your payouts to the teams, it’s not hard to sustain the bowl game itself.

7 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

You are confusing this whole situation.  Let’s look at the Independence Bowl.  It is run by a committee.  They find as many sponsors as they can.  They already have their set payout for the teams which is typically covered mostly by their TV revenue (ESPN contract).  Sponsors basically pay for the stadium rental (which I don’t think the Indy committee actually has to pay) workers, utilities etc.  the rest is profit.  If your TV contract makes your payouts to the teams, it’s not hard to sustain the bowl game itself.

The Independence Bowl cut their own throat when they let their Big 12/ SEC tie ins get away from them. A six win team from the ACC won’t travel nearly as well as a six win SEC team. 

11 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

I did a little digging into it, and basically found out the teams from the smaller bowls really count on other teams in their conference getting larger payouts. There is automatic payouts that go to teams that meet certain criteria, and a percentage of that money goes to all teams within the conference. It's a much better deal for the schools because I can remember not too long ago when some schools actually lost money participating in a bowl game. You are on the money with sponsors for bowl games. I can't recall which lower tier bowl game it was, but a resort paid $350,000 to sponsor the game for one season. The payoff according to the resort's advertising company paid off in millions.

49 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

I did a little digging into it, and basically found out the teams from the smaller bowls really count on other teams in their conference getting larger payouts. There is automatic payouts that go to teams that meet certain criteria, and a percentage of that money goes to all teams within the conference. It's a much better deal for the schools because I can remember not too long ago when some schools actually lost money participating in a bowl game. You are on the money with sponsors for bowl games. I can't recall which lower tier bowl game it was, but a resort paid $350,000 to sponsor the game for one season. The payoff according to the resort's advertising company paid off in millions.

Independents are mostly the only schools that could lose money the way TV contracts are now