Scared For School: 4 In 5 Parents Considering Homeschooling Kids This Fall

Monte1076

Well if I lived in New York, I would be also. But since this seems to be a yankee problem, I don't see it happening around here. 

But since we teachers are headed back this week and next, I can give you some pretty local (Northeast Texas) numbers, from various districts. 

Secondary Students--Less than 25% of them are stay at home students this fall. 

Upper Elementary--(4-6 grades)--between 20-30% of those kids are doing home school--through the public education centers. 

Lower Elementary--(K-3 grades)--40-50% of those kids are doing "at home" education. And it seems that the younger the kids, the closer to 50% you get. I am guessing that a lot of mothers don't want their babies going to school--I would bet that about 1/2 of those are because they might miss their kids--the other 1/2 because scared of sickness. But as they get older, the parents want them out of the house. LOL. And that is from people I have talked to in around 6 different districts. 

I will find out about my district when we start back next week. 

We are currently sitting at about 10% that are choosing our virtual option, and I am not sure of the number of those who are flat out just enrolling in a homeschooling program. In a school where most are participating in something or taking speciality classes, they don't want to give up those or only be able to come before or after school for practices. 

I can tell you that plenty of teachers are eager to get back, but they are also dealing with anxiety for a lot of reasons, including the bumbling directions coming from TEA, UIL, and the governor's office, and then just overall fear of being a part of the pandemic. 

In one district around here, (wife works in) if you don't attend regular school, you are not allowed to due extra curricular activities. That is coming from the superintendent. His reasoning, if you are so scared of the virus you can't attend school, you can't attend practices. But it is a small school. But come to think of it, that should be the way it is done, common sense wise. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

and I am not sure of the number of those who are flat out just enrolling in a homeschooling program

Just to provide a bit of information. In Texas, you don't have to enroll in home schooling, technically. If one decides to home school, it's generally a good idea to send an official letter of withdrawal to the school district.

You are correct in that there are many home school curricula out there, and many do sign up for them. It's just not a requirement for those who choose to home school.

I'm corrected if you mean "home schooling through the district" (i.e. virtual learning). But I wanted to provide that bit of info for you.

https://thsc.org/how-to-homeschool/

9 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

In one district around here, (wife works in) if you don't attend regular school, you are not allowed to due extra curricular activities. That is coming from the superintendent. His reasoning, if you are so scared of the virus you can't attend school, you can't attend practices. But it is a small school. But come to think of it, that should be the way it is done, common sense wise. 

We started off that way, then adjusted once surveying begin. I think the thought is that protocols are going to be followed for different extracurriculars, but I have to think that if mine was staying at home, that it would be a done deal not to come up to the school. 

2 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

Just to provide a bit of information. In Texas, you don't have to enroll in home schooling, technically. If one decides to home school, it's generally a good idea to send an official letter of withdrawal to the school district.

You are correct in that there are many home school curricula out there, and many do sign up for them. It's just not a requirement for those who choose to home school.

I'm corrected if you mean "home schooling through the district" (i.e. virtual learning). But I wanted to provide that bit of info for you.

https://thsc.org/how-to-homeschool/

Thanks...I am very familiar with the 'ins and outs' of home schooling, with my recommendation to anyone who asks to choose to go to an accredited program like K12, if they ever have an inkling that they might come back, because public schools will make you jump through hoops otherwise to gain credit. I think that Texas does a lax job of monitoring where kids go, if they are enrolled, then leave, with just the withdrawal and a one-line intent, because I have seen it as a way to avoid truancy or even allegations of child abuse. 

And, I know that is not true in your case, Monte, so hopefully that doesn't come across as too harsh or with a broad brush. 

3 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

Thanks...I am very familiar with the 'ins and outs' of home schooling, with my recommendation to anyone who asks to choose to go to an accredited program like K12, if they ever have an inkling that they might come back, because public schools will make you jump through hoops otherwise to gain credit. I think that Texas does a lax job of monitoring where kids go, if they are enrolled, then leave, with just the withdrawal and a one-line intent, because I have seen it as a way to avoid truancy or even allegations of child abuse. 

And, I know that is not true in your case, Monte, so hopefully that doesn't come across as too harsh or with a broad brush. 

We actually looked into K12. We decided it didn't provide enough flexibility for what we were looking for. You probably know the "requirements" as to what is to be taught in a "bona fide" way, but I've seen some curricula that parents themselves teach that are, shall we say, lacking in certain areas. Though data does seem to indicate that Home Schoolers can and often do excel in college.

12 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

We actually looked into K12. We decided it didn't provide enough flexibility for what we were looking for. You probably know the "requirements" as to what is to be taught in a "bona fide" way, but I've seen some curricula that parents themselves teach that are, shall we say, lacking in certain areas. Though data does seem to indicate that Home Schoolers can and often do excel in college.

I understand completely, and I have no doubt that they can be successful in college. It's just that one area where Texas doesn't budge on awarding credit. Testing out is an option offered, also I should say, if credit is denied, with the assumption of prior instruction, so students only have to make a 70 to get credit on an exam. 

2 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

We are currently sitting at about 10% that are choosing our virtual option, and I am not sure of the number of those who are flat out just enrolling in a homeschooling program. In a school where most are participating in something or taking speciality classes, they don't want to give up those or only be able to come before or after school for practices. 

I can tell you that plenty of teachers are eager to get back, but they are also dealing with anxiety for a lot of reasons, including the bumbling directions coming from TEA, UIL, and the governor's office, and then just overall fear of being a part of the pandemic. 

If they’re scared to come to school they shouldn’t be wanting  to participate in extracurricular activities.  It’s kinda hypocritical don’t you think?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BarryLaverty said:

We started off that way, then adjusted once surveying begin. I think the thought is that protocols are going to be followed for different extracurriculars, but I have to think that if mine was staying at home, that it would be a done deal not to come up to the school. 

If you’re scared to let them sit in class with them, you shouldn’t let the practice or play games with them.  

I am using the online learning that my kid's school is offering.  The way I look at it is if you are legitimately concerned about your kids safety, then you homeschool them.  It is a no brainer.  My kids are too young for school sports.  

52 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

Stats don’t show kids are getting the virus and exposing others and other countries are doing just fine. Send your kid to school and stop being  scared. Kids can easily get the virus outside of school. 

Germany started back to school in May.

foreign media outlets are commenting on American media outlets not reporting truth.  That should tell you something

50 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

Stats don’t show kids are getting the virus and exposing others and other countries are doing just fine. Send your kid to school and stop being  scared. Kids can easily get the virus outside of school. 

They are getting the virus, and spreading it just as much as adults.  Two teenagers died in Florida's state count today alone.  Bell County  ( Belton ) in Texas has had multiple school age children die of Covid 19.  

Three schools have already reported problems with the virus on just day 1 of Summer workouts "2-A-Days ".'  Clifton, Taft, and Somerville.  

• Stinks 1

2 hours ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

I don’t really believe that . This isn’t a death sentence unless you’re sick in the first place or in bad health. Flu been much worse yet we never stopped anything. Many folks have gotten it and are just fine like 97% . 

The problem is, we don't know the actual long-term affects of this virus on people. There are reports of brain injury, heart damage, and blood clots that can occur in multiple different organs.

My wife has already told me "you're going to be 'locked down' for a while." Even when more things are opening, she wants me to take extra precaution and limit my exposure to others -- for a while. I don't know how long.