The Smoakhouse Forums

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bay Root... Wasn’t he a famous Baseball player way back?...😂

This was like the explosion in the town of West ( North of Waco ) a few years ago.  I don't know which one was bigger, but same material that exploded.  

Posted Images

19 hours ago, BlahBlah said:

This was like the explosion in the town of West ( North of Waco ) a few years ago.  I don't know which one was bigger, but same material that exploded.  

When West happened, I live about 35 miles away, and it shook my house and rattled my windows. I thought earthquake or actually highway crash at first. Where I live, I also heard when the space shuttle Columbia exploded. Kinda weird being in the epicenter of strange and terrible explosions, while in the middle of nowhere! 

22 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

When West happened, I live about 35 miles away, and it shook my house and rattled my windows. I thought earthquake or actually highway crash at first. Where I live, I also heard when the space shuttle Columbia exploded. Kinda weird being in the epicenter of strange and terrible explosions, while in the middle of nowhere! 

Middle of nowhere? That’s gods country over there!

• Haha 1
19 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

I’ve seen old pictures of Beirut. It was an amazing city just a few decades ago. 

Not in 1983 it wasn't, I still remember that attack on our troops.  

I think this was an accident waiting to happen.  They should have already detonated those fireworks.  The worst place to keep them was at the port.  My grandfather died in the Texas City Disaster and the ammonium nitrate on the SS Grandcamp was lit by only a cigarette.  That was only 2300 tons.  

1 minute ago, DaveTV1 said:

I think this was an accident waiting to happen.  They should have already detonated those fireworks.  The worst place to keep them was at the port.  My grandfather died in the Texas City Disaster and the ammonium nitrate on the SS Grandcamp was lit by only a cigarette.  That was only 2300 tons.  

Dang, Dave; Sorry for your loss.🙏✝️❤️

1 hour ago, BarryLaverty said:

True that, but explosions shouldn't happen on a semi-regular basis, amiright? 

Branch dividians and west. I don’t know of any more

12 minutes ago, CarthDawg77 said:

Dang, Dave; Sorry for your loss.🙏✝️❤️

It was more of a loss for my Momma, she was 15 at the time.  When you never knew someone you feel no pain.  

49 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

I meant before the terrorist took over. Was called the Paris of the Middle East I think. 

• Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

It was more of a loss for my Momma, she was 15 at the time.  When you never knew someone you feel no pain.  

True. My Grandfather died in April, 1957,& I was born in May, 1959. I was named after him. Still wish I would have had the chance to know him.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, mellon said:

I watched that... I was struck at how calm everyone conducted themselves while talking on their phones! I guess it’s just another day in Beirut...

• Haha 1
23 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

I meant before the terrorist took over. Was called the Paris of the Middle East I think. 

Tony Bramwell who was the CEO of Apple Records stated the same.  I saw a video last night that it appears a missile hit it, but I think it was doctored with this video.  What I don't understand is why were so many people filming this one spot in Beirut ?  Did they know it was going to happen ? I can see maybe a handful of people, after the initial explosion, but some were before.  This made me think maybe something was planned.  

55 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

Tony Bramwell who was the CEO of Apple Records stated the same.  I saw a video last night that it appears a missile hit it, but I think it was doctored with this video.  What I don't understand is why were so many people filming this one spot in Beirut ?  Did they know it was going to happen ? I can see maybe a handful of people, after the initial explosion, but some were before.  This made me think maybe something was planned.  

Well, they did have that initial explosion to peak their curiosity prior to the “big enchilada”; That could account for the various angles.

8 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Any mention of Number of fatalities ?

Last count I heard was over 100, but from the looks of the destruction, there Have to be Many more unaccounted for who will eventually become casualties.

There was a major smoke flume prior to that crazy explosion. Maybe that’s why so many people had videos of the blast. It is a hotbed for terrorism so it can’t be ruled out just yet. 

9 minutes ago, Unashamed said:

1596809529530m.jpg

That's crazy. 

The local Realtors are chomping at the bit for the chance to re-develop this area....😉

If it was like West, then it was incompetence and a lack of oversight of the safe storage of those kind of materials. If so, I would bet more will be done to fix that than was done in West. Texas has very little concern about inspections and safety traditionally to do with hazardous materials, trusting companies to do the right thing. 

• Confused 1
21 hours ago, CarthDawg77 said:

Well, they did have that initial explosion to peak their curiosity prior to the “big enchilada”; That could account for the various angles.

Some of them didn't.  They were just filming the direction of the warehouse or at the warehouse itself.  I don't speak Arabic, but it sounded like some were celebrating.  

5 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

If it was like West, then it was incompetence and a lack of oversight of the safe storage of those kind of materials. If so, I would bet more will be done to fix that than was done in West. Texas has very little concern about inspections and safety traditionally to do with hazardous materials, trusting companies to do the right thing. 

I assure you that 99% of all companies want their sites as safe as possible.  They don't want to have to pay for wrongful death and other lawsuits that will come their way, unless they are on the brink of bankruptcy in the first place.  This was Lebanon, and I don't know what safety protocols the company had or the Lebanon for that matter.  I will say whoever owned it is going to be paying out millions if not billions of pounds to the victims families and those injured.  There only hope is that it was attacked by a missile, but I don't think that happened.  

1 hour ago, DaveTV1 said:

I assure you that 99% of all companies want their sites as safe as possible.  They don't want to have to pay for wrongful death and other lawsuits that will come their way, unless they are on the brink of bankruptcy in the first place.  This was Lebanon, and I don't know what safety protocols the company had or the Lebanon for that matter.  I will say whoever owned it is going to be paying out millions if not billions of pounds to the victims families and those injured.  There only hope is that it was attacked by a missile, but I don't think that happened.  

www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/energy-environment/2020/08/06/379330/chemical-in-beirut-explosion-was-also-behind-two-texas-disasters/amp/