Bclove05

Sabine vs Spring Hill  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Sabine
    • Spring Hill

This poll is closed to new votes

On 8/9/2020 at 7:42 PM, PantherNation2015 said:

Oh well regardless of the definition 8-9 returners is a heck of a lot better than 3-4. Panther offense will be fine.  Gotta develop some young players on defense to win.

Depends on the QB. Need to find one. There will be some growing pains for whomever it is, so the run game will have to carry the team early. Only problem is, defenses will load the box and challenge the young QB into quick decisions.

18 minutes ago, SHillBuckeye said:

Depends on the QB. Need to find one. There will be some growing pains for whomever it is, so the run game will have to carry the team early. Only problem is, defenses will load the box and challenge the young QB into quick decisions.

Panther QB won’t be asked to do what White did in 2019.  He just needs to run the offense, get the ball in the hands of the playmakers and limit mistakes.  A successful running game early will make the transition much easier.  If opponents load the box I like our chances in man coverage with Jones.

3 minutes ago, Bclove05 said:

Probably be a rough first game for us. We really could have used that 2nd scrimmage this year. We will still win though. 👀

Both teams could have used the 2nd scrimmage.  I was pleased with our showing last night in MV.  New QB’s both threw the ball well.  Offense had a few busts but looked good overall.  Defense was the bright spot given the holes that need to be filled.  They are ahead of where I thought they would be at this point.  I’m gonna wait until you give us the recap on your scrimmage before making a score prediction.  I’m leaning towards a 35-31 type game.  Panthers win of course!

9 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Both teams could have used the 2nd scrimmage.  I was pleased with our showing last night in MV.  New QB’s both threw the ball well.  Offense had a few busts but looked good overall.  Defense was the bright spot given the holes that need to be filled.  They are ahead of where I thought they would be at this point.  I’m gonna wait until you give us the recap on your scrimmage before making a score prediction.  I’m leaning towards a 35-31 type game.  Panthers win of course!

I didn't get to go to our scrimmage so I can't give you one. I was told it looked about like what you would expect from a 1st scrimmage. Our defense did get to go up against 2 totally different offenses. Troup runs a spread and Waskom runs a flexbone offense. I'm not worried to much about our defense. Once the offense gets clicking we should be fine. 

26 minutes ago, Bclove05 said:

I didn't get to go to our scrimmage so I can't give you one. I was told it looked about like what you would expect from a 1st scrimmage. Our defense did get to go up against 2 totally different offenses. Troup runs a spread and Waskom runs a flexbone offense. I'm not worried to much about our defense. Once the offense gets clicking we should be fine. 

Not worried about the defense, eh?

22 minutes ago, Bclove05 said:

We got the kid that intercepts snaps for a couple more years. We gonna be fine. 😂 Of course we will have our hands full against the fast teams. 

We might have some speed in a couple key positions.  🤔. We ain’t gonna scare you when we come out of the locker room but we are gonna play sound football on both sides of the ball with 100% effort.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

We might have some speed in a couple key positions.  🤔. We ain’t gonna scare you when we come out of the locker room but we are gonna play sound football on both sides of the ball with 100% effort.

It's going to be a good game. Too bad none of these kids remember the early 2000 Spring Hill teams.

• Like 1

ET Football: Panthers display offensive firepower against Tigers

By Jack Stallard [email protected]

Aug 21, 2020 Updated 6 hrs ago

The Spring Hill Panthers displayed a physical running game and a potentially lethal passing game on offense to go along with a few surprises on the defensive side of the ball Thursday during a scrimmage on the road against Mount Vernon.

It took a little while, but rookie head coach Weston Griffis was actually able to enjoy the show put on by his team at Don Meredith Stadium.

“I’m not going to lie. I found myself watching the offensive line and trying to coach them early on,” said Griffis, who has an extensive background as an offensive line coach an was the team’s offensive coordinator last year before taking over as head coach for the 2020 campaign.

“I told one of my coaches I didn’t even know what to do with my hands. It was a different feeling, especially when we got to the live quarter. But, I enjoyed it. I remember at one point looking around and thinking ‘Wow. I have a great coaching staff, and they are coaching their tails off.’ They sure make my job easy.”

Spring Hill and Mount Vernon ran a total of 56 plays with the first and second teams, and then competed in a live quarter. All of Spring Hill’s scoring came in the controlled portion of the scrimmage, but the Panthers did have the ball on the Tiger 1-yard line when time expired in the live quarter that ended in a 0-0 tie.

“I was impressed with how physical our kids were,” Griffis said. “It’s how we’ve been practicing, and it carried over to the scrimmage. I was also impressed with our returning guys. The leaders did what they were supposed to do, but I was also impressed with a lot of our young guys stepping up.”

The offensive scored four times in the controlled portion of the scrimmage, and Eric Morrow has a hand in all of the touchdowns. Morrow hauled in touchdown passes of 70 yards from Brennan Ferguson and 80 yards from Jax Stovall to go along with a 70-yard TD run.

Griffis also mentioned fullback Brody Barnhill and tailbacks Devaunte Powers and Michael Marrs as standouts on offense working behind a veteran offensive line.

Stovall threw a 14-yard touchdown pass to Grayson Crews — a junior who caught Griffis’ eye on the defensive slde.

“Grayson Crews has grown a lot over the last year, and he played well,” Griffis said. “Dominique Alexander at cornerback also had a good showing. He’s a physical new guy at that position.”

The Panthers now turn their attention to Friday’s season opener at home against the Sabine Cardinals.

Spring Hill finished 6-6 a year ago, earning the program’s first playoff berth in 12 years and knocking off Caddo Mills (23-12) for the team’s first postseason victory in 15 seasons. The season ended with a 54-14 bi-district loss to Waco Connally.

Sabine carved out a 10-2 record a year ago, the first 10-win season in program history, and defeated Mount Vernon (20-14) for the Cardinals’ first playoff win in school history. Sabine fell to Pottsboro, 47-35, in the bi-district round.

• Like 1