The Smoakhouse Forums

Fall sports could potentially be canceled

2 hours ago, Stoney said:

PAC 12, Big 10 cancel fall seasons.

I can see some of those teams playing possibly in other Conferences to fill schedules.  It will be a nightmare though.  Then again I haven't checked on hotel/motel capacity, but I think that is very low at the present time.  I know Hawaii won't be playing, because they have a 14 day quarantine for anyone  that enters there state.  I believe it's still the same for New York.  I don't know if they could find a Conference to play in within a month plus arrange all travel arrangements and food.  I expect that if the NCAA doesn't play that there will not be any High School football in Texas.  

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

I think this has more to with keeping the “amateurism” in the sport than fear of the virus. 

A players association could come out of this. The super conferences. This thing could have far reaching repercussions than just illness and cover their butts from lawsuits.

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

Big 12 should play, and not take any teams to play in conference unless they’re willing to sign up for 10 years.

No one doing that. That would be ridiculous and all can’t just leave the conference other than this year. Acc buyout is extreme and Sec doesn’t have a exit fee , nor would they leave.

10 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

Seeing tweets saying BIG 10 is still going to practice all throughout the fall.  

Big 12 still planning on playing?

Just now, Stoney said:

Big 12 still planning on playing?

Why would the BIG 10 announce a revised schedule a week ago and now cancel?  Seems like they had to of known they were going to do this all along.

4 hours ago, Valhalla said:

I think this has more to with keeping the “amateurism” in the sport than fear of the virus. 

There was a tweet about that the other day. The players are voicing their opinion and using their leverage. Leagues are willing to shut down to keep the players "amateurs" and hold on to their power.

Side note: Chances of a Nebraska/Big 12 reunion for a season?

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

No one doing that. That would be ridiculous and all can’t just leave the conference other than this year. Acc buyout is extreme and Sec doesn’t have a exit fee , nor would they leave.

Then they should play in their conference.  It’s time folks started standing up instead of being told everything to do

9 hours ago, topher805 said:

Side note: Chances of a Nebraska/Big 12 reunion for a season?

They would be happier in Conference USA. Last I checked Texas is still in Big 12, which is problematic to their pride.  

My comments above were tongue in cheek. The real issue is what do they monetarily bring to the Big 12? ND brought a NBC contract to share with ACC schools. If the Big 12 shutdown, Texas has the LHN to offer. Given restrictions on stadium capacity, the gate Nebraska would bring is nominal. The only school that probably wouldn’t dilute the revenue pool is BYU.

On 8/11/2020 at 7:38 PM, Raiderfan7000 said:

Ok, why would you take ANY teams that would keep you from winning your conference then?  Your only benefiting them.

On 8/11/2020 at 7:35 PM, DB2point0 said:

Big 12 should play, and not take any teams to play in conference unless they’re willing to sign up for 10 years.

I'm hearing Nebraska could rejoin.  Not just this article, but on the radio too.  https://kckingdom.com/2020/08/11/nebraska-football-return-big-12-possible-fall/  .  Them returning would be a natural fit.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DaveTV1 said:

I'm hearing Nebraska could rejoin.  Not just this article, but on the radio too.  https://kckingdom.com/2020/08/11/nebraska-football-return-big-12-possible-fall/  .  Them returning would be a natural fit.  

Seems kinda silly doing this for one year. I agree but I would prefer a more permanent options and one that is not a lateral move. That is basically every power 5 conference.