Mavchamp

New Caney Vs. Marshall  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• New Caney by a little
    • Marshall by a little
    • New Caney in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

This will be the first ever meeting between the two programs.  NC is taking Tyler Legacy's spot on the schedule from last year because of their offensive name (jjjkkkkk).

New Caney is coming off of a (10-1) season, while Marshall was (7-4) in 2019.

Both teams are entering the season needing a QB under center.

------------

The Eagles lost Zion Childress, who passed for over 2000 yards last season with 21 TD's.  He was also their top rusher with 1541 yards and 17  more scores.  Needless to say.... he was the gas that made them go in 2019.   

Jayden Tutwiler is a possible replacement, but he had very limited snaps last season unless a JV QB was waiting in the wings.

Running back Cale Sanders will be back for the Eagles, where he had 1070 yards and 16 scores.  Anthony Robles will also be a threat as he had nearly 500 yards last year with a handful of scores too.

Their top WR, Philiip Mcdaniel is gone..... but a triplet threat remains from last season that combined for over 1000 yards and several scores.

Defensively they were very good last season, giving up 13 or less points in 7 of their 11 games.  Three of them were shutouts. 

----------

Marshall will be looking for a QB to replace Savion Williams.  Williams was thrust into the QB spot last season when the starter left the program after the first game.  Williams went on to shine, racking up 961 yards passing and 990 rushing  with 26 scores in just 7 starts.

Dominique Williams will be back to tote the rock.  He had a slow start last season while the QB situation was being settled.... but then he exploded for nearly 700 yards.

Demarcus Williams will also get some carries as he had nearly 400 yards last season as well.  

The Mavs have a corps of 4 WR's from last season returning..... combined for over 1200 yards and about a dozen scores.

Marshall returns 8 starters on each side of the ball.....so there is much reason for optimism.  Finding the QB is the #1 priority headed into the season.

I'll have more information in the coming days/weeks.... I'll add it when it comes.

This game was originally scheduled to be in NC.... but has been moved to Marshall.  Next season the game will be in NC as part of their kickoff classic, which will feature games on Thursday, Fri, and Saturday.

The success of the season IMHO (and I'm definitely no expert) hinges on a couple of things

1.  Who the QB is
2.  The system put in place for said QB

From what I've been told, it could be a 3-4 man race for the starting spot.

Are we going to find a pure passer like we had in Hart a few years ago.

A pure runner like we had in Savion.

An ATH like we had in Cam Haller when Hart went down

All that adds up to the type of offense we will be running.  

Coaching staff has their hands full.  But if they could figure it out last season under the duress of the season already starting.... they can do it with camp before.

Slow starts due to a killer non-district schedule have become almost expected.  But I think those 1-2 and 0-3  starts have shown a lot of grit the last few years.  Hard to be finding a QB against the likes of Longview and Carthage.  

Hoping for better results in 2020..... but with New Caney, Longview, and McKinney North..... no easy task ahead.

14 minutes ago, nacdragon07 said:

That’s a brutal non district schedule y’all will definitely be battle tested coming into district play. I’m giving the edge to Marshall since the game will be played in the friendly confines of Maverick stadium. Should be a good one ! 

Our non-district opponents were a combined 31-4 last season.   

2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

The success of the season IMHO (and I'm definitely no expert) hinges on a couple of things

1.  Who the QB is
2.  The system put in place for said QB

From what I've been told, it could be a 3-4 man race for the starting spot.

Are we going to find a pure passer like we had in Hart a few years ago.

A pure runner like we had in Savion.

An ATH like we had in Cam Haller when Hart went down

All that adds up to the type of offense we will be running.  

Coaching staff has their hands full.  But if they could figure it out last season under the duress of the season already starting.... they can do it with camp before.

Slow starts due to a killer non-district schedule have become almost expected.  But I think those 1-2 and 0-3  starts have shown a lot of grit the last few years.  Hard to be finding a QB against the likes of Longview and Carthage.  

Hoping for better results in 2020..... but with New Caney, Longview, and McKinney North..... no easy task ahead.

I am not trying to be a negative Nancy but I hope they let Griedl make the real choice and some big wigs kid doesn’t get the start if he doesn’t earn it...Marshall deserves the best they can field

4 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

I am not trying to be a negative Nancy but I hope they let Griedl make the real choice and some big wigs kid doesn’t get the start if he doesn’t earn it...Marshall deserves the best they can field

There’s no politics in high school football kingwolf you know that lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingwolf said:

I think Coach G proved himself last season in that respect.  

In spite of social media grumblings, he didn’t cave-in to pressure to allow a player back on the team after he had quit the program. 

Much respect for that. 

Then he had to muddle through an 0-3 start to find a QB.  Everyone had an opinion.  And he made the right choice.  

I think the same will happen this season.  The staff will find the best player for the position and  go with it.

TBH..... through the years.... and all the coaches we’ve had, I don’t recall politics being played for positions.  Too many kids involved for that. but could be wrong.... but I don’t think so.  This isn’t Hallsville. 

1 hour ago, nacdragon07 said:

There’s no politics in high school football kingwolf you know that lol. 

TBH.... the only East Texas 5A programs I’ve heard a lot about meddling parents and politics is Nacogdoches and Hallsville. 

You'd think they would learn their lessons.  But apparently not. 

6 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

TBH.... the only East Texas 5A programs I’ve heard a lot about meddling parents and politics is Nacogdoches and Hallsville. 

You'd think they would learn their lessons.  But apparently not. 

So true it’s bad in Nac always has been. 

I think NC is going to show up with a stingy defense and an offense looking for an identity.  

Hard to replace an ATH like Childress.  He was the all-world player for them last year.  I’m expecting their offense to struggle. 

If Marshall can just piece together a respectable offense.... coupled with their defense, I think they can win.  

But I remember how much we struggled last season Vs Longview and Carthage when we were looking for a QB.  It was ugly and painful.  But we figured it out.  Hope we have smoother sailing this time.  

9 minutes ago, OakRidgeMav said:

I know folks in NC that think they'll come into the backwoods of ETX and roll......they don't realize there's a lot of things in the woods that can bite you.......Mavs by 10......

We have a loooong history of SETX schools underestimating us......

Lamar Consolidated and Nederland most recently.

Houston Lamar, Klein Oak, and Beaumont Ozen a little further back.

Conroe McCullough (The Woodlands) back in the day.

30 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

So looking at the strength of NC from last year, Marshall has to keep them from putting 9 in the box.  If you can’t throw them it’s going to be a long night

Which was exactly what happened last season Vs. Longview and Carthage.  Our non-existent passing game made us one dimensional.....  and The Lobos and Dawgs are just too good to be one dimensional.   They will shut you down.

If we repeat that in 2020..... another 0-3 start could be in order.

But if the passing game is there... along with our RB's..... I think we have a good chance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Which was exactly what happened last season Vs. Longview and Carthage.  Our non-existent passing game made us one dimensional.....  and The Lobos and Dawgs are just too good to be one dimensional.   They will shut you down.

If we repeat that in 2020..... another 0-3 start could be in order.

But if the passing game is there... along with our RB's..... I think we have a good chance.

And NC is in the same boat, looking to replace their QB.......considering what the Mavs have returning + the game moving to Maverick Stadium, IMO big advantage Mavs.....

2 hours ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

Some reason I am expecting a good year for Marshall. I don’t know the qb situation but 7-3 is possible. I will take the Mavs in this one.

The plan is always to win them all...… but given the difficulty of schedule..... that's a distinct possibility.  Longview and Texas High jump out at me.  NC and McKinney North are unknown to me completely TBH.  I know MN was competitive in their D1 district, so that tells me they aren't a slouch.  NC was 10-1..... so there's that.

Can't overlook PT on the schedule..... they should be very good offensively. 

• Like 1

Going with NC in a close one.

Marshall's seemingly had a trend in recent years to struggle in non-district early (obviously due to who they're playing most the time), and then pick it up come district play. Think the same thing will happen this season.

Turnovers will be a big factor in this one (as always ha)

I'm from New Caney and have been following the Eagles for many years. So, I will admit to having a little bias towards them. I was fully looking forward to the kickoff classic in NC. Hopefully we get to get it going next year. New Caney's defense will carry them to start the year and as others have mentioned finding a QB will be priority number one. We do have nearly a completely new coaching staff. Coach Pennington retired last year. Coach Reeves was brought in from Cuero to take over the program. With all of the issues and challenges surrounding the virus I am not sure how much time his staff has been able to put in their systems. I wouldn't be too quick on thinking you will be able to pass on NC. NC returns 8 on that side of the ball. Outside linebacker Harris has committed to UT. Sanders plays all over the field including safety has committed to UCF and another D back Grant has at least one D1 offer. I'm looking for a well played injury free game to start the season. If it is being played in Marshall I will be there. How large is the visitors side? 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Visitors side isn’t the biggest but not many people fill it, other than us and maybe a one off by someone else.

Can’t see it being that full, especially with 50% capacity.

The 50% capacity was why I was asking. I doubt we have very many fans there with the current environment and length of travel. However, I have only missed a handful of games in last twenty something years.

• Like 1