New Caney Vs. Marshall  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• New Caney by a little
    • Marshall by a little
    • New Caney in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

On 8/9/2020 at 5:58 PM, Mavchamp said:

I think Coach G proved himself last season in that respect.  

In spite of social media grumblings, he didn’t cave-in to pressure to allow a player back on the team after he had quit the program. 

Much respect for that. 

Then he had to muddle through an 0-3 start to find a QB.  Everyone had an opinion.  And he made the right choice.  

I think the same will happen this season.  The staff will find the best player for the position and  go with it.

TBH..... through the years.... and all the coaches we’ve had, I don’t recall politics being played for positions.  Too many kids involved for that. but could be wrong.... but I don’t think so.  This isn’t Hallsville. 

That's good to hear....when I worked in Marshall for all those years, I would hear it from time to time.  This last year I heard rumblings of it happening at the QB position with a certain kid that has a parent high up in the ISD or on the board (not sure).  Glad to hear that is not an issue.

5 hours ago, LightningEagle said:

I'm from New Caney and have been following the Eagles for many years. So, I will admit to having a little bias towards them. I was fully looking forward to the kickoff classic in NC. Hopefully we get to get it going next year. New Caney's defense will carry them to start the year and as others have mentioned finding a QB will be priority number one. We do have nearly a completely new coaching staff. Coach Pennington retired last year. Coach Reeves was brought in from Cuero to take over the program. With all of the issues and challenges surrounding the virus I am not sure how much time his staff has been able to put in their systems. I wouldn't be too quick on thinking you will be able to pass on NC. NC returns 8 on that side of the ball. Outside linebacker Harris has committed to UT. Sanders plays all over the field including safety has committed to UCF and another D back Grant has at least one D1 offer. I'm looking for a well played injury free game to start the season. If it is being played in Marshall I will be there. How large is the visitors side? 

Nice summary and welcome to the board.  I am also interested in this game.  I wish I could catch the game.  If Marshall can come out and open it up early its going to be a good one....if NC defense can put the clamps on then it might be lopsided but definitely don't see a blowout either way.

On 8/12/2020 at 4:14 PM, LightningEagle said:

If it is being played in Marshall I will be there. How large is the visitors side? 

This page is still a work in progress with renovations ongoing.  But it’ll give you an idea of your stay in Maverick Stadium. 

https://www.marshallmavericks.net/maverick-stadium

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Drills have been going well from what I hear. 

Guys showed up in shape and hungry to prove something.

Was told that we have huge numbers of guys showing up.  Last spring before COVID we were running 180....not sure where it stands now.  I'll see if I can find out.

Scrimmage Vs. Frisco Wakeland was moved from Athens to Sulphur Springs.  The race to find the starting QB is ON.

Still lots of construction going on with the practice facility, softball and baseball fields, the stadium, and the gym.

New ag barn should be going up before too long too.  

5 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Was told that we have huge numbers of guys showing up.  Last spring before COVID we were running 180....not sure where it stands now.  I'll see if I can find out.

Scrimmage Vs. Frisco Wakeland was moved from Athens to Sulphur Springs.  The race to find the starting QB is ON.

Still lots of construction going on with the practice facility, the stadium, and the gym.

What is your opinion on Pine Tree? Tyler high scrimmages them next month. 

3 minutes ago, CUJONATION83 said:

What is your opinion on Pine Tree? Tyler high scrimmages them next month. 

Their offense should be outstanding.  They have tons of experience coming back.... and a dynamic playmaker at QB.  

Last season, statistically at least, I think they had the #1 offense in the district.  BUT.... they had a non-district schedule loaded with some pretty weak competition.  But make no mistake about it.... they should be potent.

Defense has been their downfall the last 4-5 seasons.  They will score 40 points...but give up 45.  If they shore it up....the could be dangerous.

All that to say.... if they pick up where they left off...and a team is struggling offensively... PT could run away from them pretty quick.  But if your offense is clicking.... I think you can outscore them..... if recent trends remain true.

JMHO.

21 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Their offense should be outstanding.  They have tons of experience coming back.... and a dynamic playmaker at QB.  

Last season, statistically at least, I think they had the #1 offense in the district.  BUT.... they had a non-district schedule loaded with some pretty weak competition.  But make no mistake about it.... they should be potent.

Defense has been their downfall the last 4-5 seasons.  They will score 40 points...but give up 45.  If they shore it up....the could be dangerous.

All that to say.... if they pick up where they left off...and a team is struggling offensively... PT could run away from them pretty quick.  But if your offense is clicking.... I think you can outscore them..... if recent trends remain true.

JMHO.

Thanks. I saw were they lost to Pittsburgh last 😳 year. TH will have new qb. We have good speed across the board, but still young in alot of areas. 

3 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Still lots of construction going on with the practice facility, softball and baseball fields, the stadium, and the gym.

New ag barn should be going up before too long too.  

That is really awesome to hear about the Maverick program...if they can get keep this momentum and turnout up, things could really get interesting for Marshall in D2.

34 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

That is really awesome to hear about the Maverick program...if they can get keep this momentum and turnout up, things could really get interesting for Marshall in D2.

Starting 1-0 would be a great help in confidence.

We will be huge underdogs in both of our 5A-D1 non-district games. 

Momentum would be nice headed into district.  We’ve struggled with that the last few years because of a brutal schedule. I always have mixed feelings about it. 

I don’t want a powder-puff non-district schedule. But I don’t see the point of getting steamrolled out of our league either.

Either way... I’m ready and excited about 2020.

• Like 1

Who's ready for the Ken Franklin Bowl?!?

All jokes aside, this should be a good one. New Caney has some studs on the defensive side this year. That has been their strength since they took off a few years back. Outside of Timmy Ware at QB, they have been a run first team with Jordan Cooper and Zion Childress at QB. A lot of read option, with a big play receiver to keep opposing secondaries honest. A lot of changes this year with a new staff and new QB under center.

The defense should keep this one close, but I'm not sure the Eagles pull this one out early in the year. NC will have some growing pains to start the year, but should be a force come playoff time. 

On 8/31/2020 at 7:44 PM, topher805 said:

Who's ready for the Ken Franklin Bowl?!?

All jokes aside, this should be a good one. New Caney has some studs on the defensive side this year. That has been their strength since they took off a few years back. Outside of Timmy Ware at QB, they have been a run first team with Jordan Cooper and Zion Childress at QB. A lot of read option, with a big play receiver to keep opposing secondaries honest. A lot of changes this year with a new staff and new QB under center.

The defense should keep this one close, but I'm not sure the Eagles pull this one out early in the year. NC will have some growing pains to start the year, but should be a force come playoff time. 

This Mav defense might be the best we’ve had since 2015.  They could be special..... if the offense doesn’t put them into too many bad situations with turnovers and poor field position.  

The offense is stacked With talent too.... but we have the single biggest question mark any team can have: QB. 

With no spring ball or 7 on 7 this summer... we have very little time to find a starter. 

We have several QB prospects. All strong athletes with outstanding work ethics.  But all have strengths and weaknesses in their game. 

I have faith in this staff To make the best choice... and to build the offense around the skill set of the one chosen. 

Just not sure if Marshall will be as wide open (at least to start the season) as we are all accustomed to.  Things will progress.  

But with a line-up like New Caney, Longview, and McKinney North..... there could be growing pains.  

Had an intra-squad scrimmage today.  Wasn’t able to make it.  But heard from several people about it. 

Defense looked strong.  As expected, it should be the strength of the team.  

Running game had some bright spots.

QB play.... as expected....was the glaring issue. 

Looks like a 3 man QB race.  One a senior and two are underclassmen.   Underclassmen had better showing than the senior. 

Overall.......the offense struggled most of the morning.  Sounds awfully familiar to last season. 

Scrimmage next week Vs Frisco Wakeland. Then the real deal Vs New Caney. 

Hopefully we will get the QB situation ironed out by then.  Tough doing all this without spring ball and no 7 on 7.  But I suppose everyone is in the same boat. 

Recap of last night’s scrimmage Vs Frisco Wakeland: 

Mavs suited out right at 200 kids.  Haven’t  seen numbers like that since the late 90s I bet.  GREAT NEWS imho.   

Game ended in a 14-14 tie in the live portion.  

Marshall held Wakeland to 60 yards of total offense.  

Brent Burris had over 100 yds passing with a TD &  0 picks for the Mavs.

RB Dominique Williams had over a 100yds rushing on 14 carries and a score.   

Kelehan looked outstanding at halfback. 

Sounds like we had a good night of snaps against a significantly larger school (over 2000).  

I’ll take it.