Southland Conference

Coach0001

Expected to announce cancellation of fall sports today 

Conference Football in the spring ( I doubt it)

But teams can still play out of conference games this fall ( what the what?) Play your money game 

I think the league is missing a huge opportunity to grab big TV revenue! With all the others cancelling replacing the Wed night national games that the MAC usually played could have been a financial boon to the conference 

The Southland is a joke...I hope SFA, Sam, and at least McNeese get up and get out soon. Rumor has it McNeese is looking at an FBS move in the next 2-3 years...

You can play your non-conference money games in the fall, but conference play is moving to the spring. I bet they still try for fall in the 2021 season which I think is a HUGE mistake.

In basketball they dropped back to a 16-game conference schedule. Unbalanced scheduling. McNeese avoids SFA, Sam, ACU, and A&M Corpus. Arguably three of the best four teams over the last five years. SFA is playing McNeese and SELA in NON-CONFERENCE BUY GAMES. Ridiculous. This is a sinking ship and SFA and Sam need to leave now before they go down with the rest of them...

• Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, topher805 said:

The Southland is a joke...I hope SFA, Sam, and at least McNeese get up and get out soon. Rumor has it McNeese is looking at an FBS move in the next 2-3 years...

You can play your non-conference money games in the fall, but conference play is moving to the spring. I bet they still try for fall in the 2021 season which I think is a HUGE mistake.

In basketball they dropped back to a 16-game conference schedule. Unbalanced scheduling. McNeese avoids SFA, Sam, ACU, and A&M Corpus. Arguably three of the best four teams over the last five years. SFA is playing McNeese and SELA in NON-CONFERENCE BUY GAMES. Ridiculous. This is a sinking ship and SFA and Sam need to leave now before they go down with the rest of them...

I was not aware of that on hoops that is very bizarre of course its 2020!

McNasty does not have the money imo to go FBS 

I am good with SHSU SFA ACU and Central Ark pulling  out getting Tarleton 

Maybe entice Angelo-West Texas-AM Commerce to move up and make a new conference 

I don't see it happening though 

2 minutes ago, Coach0001 said:

I was not aware of that on hoops that is very bizarre of course its 2020!

McNasty does not have the money imo to go FBS 

I am good with SHSU SFA ACU and Central Ark pulling  out getting Tarleton 

Maybe entice Angelo-West Texas-AM Commerce to move up and make a new conference 

I don't see it happening though 

McNasty has put a lot into some of their programs to make themselves more marketable. They are one of the few SLC schools with good attendance year in year out. If they went Sun Belt with it, they might be able to pull it off, but I dunno. 

There is also talk that Louisiana Monroe might be coming back down to FCS. A conference with SFA, SHSU, ACU, Central Arkansas, Monroe, McNeese, and Tarleton would be a really nice start. Not sure about how you feel about Lamar, but I think they have enough money to make it work. 

Nicholls is competitive, but a budgetary nightmare. SELA is just as bad. Northwestern State isn't great either. I wish we could get Texas State and UTSA back. 

The big thing is new leadership atop the conference. Burnett is awful. 

McNasty has put a lot into some of their programs to make themselves more marketable. They are one of the few SLC schools with good attendance year in year out. If they went Sun Belt with it, they might be able to pull it off, but I dunno. 

There is also talk that Louisiana Monroe might be coming back down to FCS. A conference with SFA, SHSU, ACU, Central Arkansas, Monroe, McNeese, and Tarleton would be a really nice start. Not sure about how you feel about Lamar, but I think they have enough money to make it work. 

Nicholls is competitive, but a budgetary nightmare. SELA is just as bad. Northwestern State isn't great either. I wish we could get Texas State and UTSA back. 

The big thing is new leadership atop the conference. Burnett is awful. 

Check out FB post from Coach Carthel the Jacks are going to look for Out of Conference games and you could tell they were not happy with the conference 

You need to go read it

40 minutes ago, Coach0001 said:

Check out FB post from Coach Carthel the Jacks are going to look for Out of Conference games and you could tell they were not happy with the conference 

You need to go read it

Just read it. Looks like soon Southland games will be OOC for us...

22 minutes ago, topher805 said:

Just read it. Looks like soon Southland games will be OOC for us...

UCA is playing on National TV on the 29th in the FCS Kickoff opener and is putting together a schedule against some other FCS teams

SHSU is not going to play apparently as of right now but that is subject to change

20 minutes ago, Coach0001 said:

UCA is playing on National TV on the 29th in the FCS Kickoff opener and is putting together a schedule against some other FCS teams

SHSU is not going to play apparently as of right now but that is subject to change

I saw that. They have set up a home-and-home for this season against Missouri State I believe. I forgot who else I saw they had scheduled, but they started announcing these games earlier this week. They weren't waiting for the SLC. I think the SLC is done...

15 minutes ago, topher805 said:

SFA, HBU, HBU, and UCA all in to play this fall still. Lamar on the fence...Sam and others are out until the spring...

SFA looking at opening the season in El Paso against UTEP on Sept. 5

LU needs to handle its 30+ covid cases before thinking about playing a Fall schedule. 

3 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

LU needs to handle its 30+ covid cases before thinking about playing a Fall schedule. 

Agreed. When I heard 30+ I assumed Nicholls or Southeastern. Whoo boy was I wrong...They need to sit this one out...

27 minutes ago, topher805 said:

Nothing complete for SFA...

Sept 5 @ UTEP (Supposedly)

Sept 19 @ UTSA

Sept 26 @ SMU

Oct 10 vs TBA (Website says @ NY, NY)

Fair to assume UCA, ACU, and HBU will all be on the schedule.

will tarleton state get in on some games with these southland schools since theyre independent? 

35 minutes ago, topher805 said:

Nothing complete for SFA...

Sept 5 @ UTEP (Supposedly)

Sept 19 @ UTSA

Sept 26 @ SMU

Oct 10 vs TBA (Website says @ NY, NY)

Fair to assume UCA, ACU, and HBU will all be on the schedule.

Too bad Sam isn't playing. That suks. 🙁

Also suks that the BOTPW won't be played this year. Well...I guess it's good for sfa though. Sam has won 9 in a row. WOULD'VE BEEN 10 THIS YEAR!! 😉😏😁

1 hour ago, TTman7 said:

Too bad Sam isn't playing. That suks. 🙁

Also suks that the BOTPW won't be played this year. Well...I guess it's good for sfa though. Sam has won 9 in a row. WOULD'VE BEEN 10 THIS YEAR!! 😉😏😁

I guess we will never know since Sam has bowed out...😉

I'm surprised they aren't trying to play too. Kinda weird for them to play in the Spring and try to play again in the Fall.

2 hours ago, txk85 said:

will tarleton state get in on some games with these southland schools since theyre independent? 

Is Tarleton playing? I haven't heard anything on them. 

I know SFA is exploring a lot of options, and maybe they are on the list. I would like a rematch, thats for sure...

26 minutes ago, topher805 said:

I guess we will never know since Sam has bowed out...😉

I'm surprised they aren't trying to play too. Kinda weird for them to play in the Spring and try to play again in the Fall.

😂....🤔 we'll give y'all a forfeit "win" if that'd make sfa's pooty-poo feel better. 😉😏😁

Seriously though, by what I've read and understand Sam doesn't want to play because the cancellation of the playoffs and also the conference play. No chance at a Conference Championship AND/OR National Championship = Sammy doesn't want to play. 

I don't totally agree with it. But as our great President Trump said....It is what it is. 

40 minutes ago, TTman7 said:

😂....🤔 we'll give y'all a forfeit "win" if that'd make sfa's pooty-poo feel better. 😉😏😁

Seriously though, by what I've read and understand Sam doesn't want to play because the cancellation of the playoffs and also the conference play. No chance at a Conference Championship AND/OR National Championship = Sammy doesn't want to play. 

I don't totally agree with it. But as our great President Trump said....It is what it is. 

I really wish we had the chance to play this year. I'm sure we will still play the other Southland schools that opt for the fall. Plus, with the game moved from NRG, it would have been back on campus where it belongs IMO. 

No playoffs is kinda why SFA opted for fall and no spring. Can't play postseason anyways, so might as well get a little money and experience before next year...

I really wish we had the chance to play this year. I'm sure we will still play the other Southland schools that opt for the fall. Plus, with the game moved from NRG, it would have been back on campus where it belongs IMO. 

No playoffs is kinda why SFA opted for fall and no spring. Can't play postseason anyways, so might as well get a little money and experience before next year...

I'm with ya on BOTPW on campus. It definitely needs to get back to that. 

I can see both pros & cons for deciding to play or opt out in the Fall.  Injuries, money-games, experience, etc. 

But dadgummit, I'm gonna miss my Bearkat Football!!! 

15 hours ago, TTman7 said:

I'm with ya on BOTPW on campus. It definitely needs to get back to that. 

I can see both pros & cons for deciding to play or opt out in the Fall.  Injuries, money-games, experience, etc. 

But dadgummit, I'm gonna miss my Bearkat Football!!! 

Lot of underlying reasons I am hearing from Huntvegas

I don't see us playing the spring I think that is glossing it over 

• Thanks 1