Southland Conference

Coach0001

1 hour ago, trueblue82 said:

Hey if UCF can declare themselves national champions, anything is possible. 

LOL..difference being, UCF had a semi-legitimate claim to declare themselves national champions. The playoff format (& formerly BCS) stinks like 💩. And they were undefeated 13-0. 😉

Sfa played ONE unofficial conference game in a season where there is no official conference season being played. Hell, only 4 of 11 SLC members even played any games this year. Stupid lumberjacks, lol. 😂🤣😂

6 hours ago, TTman7 said:

LOL..difference being, UCF had a semi-legitimate claim to declare themselves national champions. The playoff format (& formerly BCS) stinks like 💩. And they were undefeated 13-0. 😉

Sfa played ONE unofficial conference game in a season where there is no official conference season being played. Hell, only 4 of 11 SLC members even played any games this year. Stupid lumberjacks, lol. 😂🤣😂

Tomato/ Tom-Otto 

7 hours ago, TTman7 said:

At least they have the testicular fortitude to claim it now instead of waiting 80 years lol.

21 minutes ago, TTman7 said:

I agree to a point. Where's sfa gonna go though? 

That's the problem. Only one *potential* offer on the table (WAC). Sun Belt isn't a step up in any way whatsoever. C-USA is intriguing, but I don't think FBS is the move ever.

Basketball is what makes SFA alluring to anyone, but we haven't had sustained success long enough to get a "big" offer from anyone. 

As for the championship shirts, all the money is being donated to the Raise the Axe Campaign for SFA Athletics. It is a fun shirt. I won't buy one, but it is something fun during a blah pandemic season. I wish we could have gotten UCA and HBU on the schedule as well, then I would have felt a little more comfortable with the shirt. 

As for sitting out for the spring or playing now, SFA did what was best for their program. Loaded with underclassmen in need of experience, it was better to play a full 10-game schedule during a season where they are already facing a postseason ban instead of a miniture 6-game conference only slate. It will pay off in the 2021 season, when I truly feel this team will compete for a real SLC championship...

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, topher805 said:

That's the problem. Only one *potential* offer on the table (WAC). Sun Belt isn't a step up in any way whatsoever. C-USA is intriguing, but I don't think FBS is the move ever.

Basketball is what makes SFA alluring to anyone, but we haven't had sustained success long enough to get a "big" offer from anyone. 

As for the championship shirts, all the money is being donated to the Raise the Axe Campaign for SFA Athletics. It is a fun shirt. I won't buy one, but it is something fun during a blah pandemic season. I wish we could have gotten UCA and HBU on the schedule as well, then I would have felt a little more comfortable with the shirt. 

As for sitting out for the spring or playing now, SFA did what was best for their program. Loaded with underclassmen in need of experience, it was better to play a full 10-game schedule during a season where they are already facing a postseason ban instead of a miniture 6-game conference only slate. It will pay off in the 2021 season, when I truly feel this team will compete for a real SLC championship...

🙄😉...shirt better have an "*" beside the phrase champions 😂

Did this season count as a year toward their ban? Since there wasn't a postseason/playoff for anybody then it shouldn't count imo. 

1 hour ago, TTman7 said:

🙄😉...shirt better have an "*" beside the phrase champions 😂

Did this season count as a year toward their ban? Since there wasn't a postseason/playoff for anybody then it shouldn't count imo. 

There is a postseason in the spring we are not playing in. As Fall Regular Season Champs we get the auto bid for the NIT, but will have to sit it out because the ban...😂

• LOL! 2

Guidelines for SFA basketball were released yesterday. Unless you are a student, family of a player, or part of the visiting team, you will basically need a season ticket to get into a game...Schedule will come out early next week. Kansas and Baylor dropped us, but we added one of these Multi-Team Events at the Mohegan Sun. Ours will feature SFA, Towson, St. Bonaventure, and Rhode Island. 

LeTourneau coach said yesterday they will be making a trip to Nac as well this season....

Late to the party on thread but the WAC makes no sense and we need to stay FCS!

I would rather be on ESPN like we have multiple times in the Finals and Semi Finals as the only game that day. Rather than as FBS bottom feeder maybe playing in low level bowl. 

WAC does nothing for us in Baseball hurts us really! The conference is a strong baseball one that has had at large bids before. 

SHSU started they 11.5 million dollar renovation of Ron Mafridge fieldhouse last week that should be spectacular! Building was opened in 1986 my first year in Huntvegas!

2 hours ago, Coach0001 said:

I would rather be on ESPN like we have multiple times in the Finals and Semi Finals as the only game that day. Rather than as FBS bottom feeder maybe playing in low level bowl. 

WAC does nothing for us in Baseball hurts us really! The conference is a strong baseball one that has had at large bids before. 

SHSU started they 11.5 million dollar renovation of Ron Mafridge fieldhouse last week that should be spectacular! Building was opened in 1986 my first year in Huntvegas!

Saw the updates yall are getting. Congrats. Best in the current SLC hands down. 

From my understanding, the WAC will start as a FCS conference. Doesn't make it better, but that is the plan. Definitely more and more smoke to this fire...

On 10/26/2020 at 11:05 PM, TTman7 said:

It wasn't their fault the rest of the conference bailed and didn't participate  ....

1 hour ago, KirtFalcon said:

It wasn't their fault the rest of the conference bailed and didn't participate  ....

🤔...I'll let ol' sfa have this I guess. Poor things. Haven't sniffed a legitimate conference championship in a while. 

SFA Lumberjerks..the 2020 Southland Conference Football Chumps!! 😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coach0001 said:

I definitely agree. Sam is no where near ready to be FBS in football. You're right...bottom feeders and MAYBE if things fall just right, a very low tier no-name bowl...yippee!! Nah, I'll pass. 

FCS is more enjoyable and fun anyway, imo. ACTUAL playoffs and a legitimate shot to be National Champions at the end of a season. 

I'm excited about the new football digs. Looks top notch by the renderings I've seen. Next step (hopefully), get Bowers Stadium a major upgrade. 

1986? Dang...you're old. 😂

Eat 'em up, Kats!! 

13 hours ago, TTman7 said:

I definitely agree. Sam is no where near ready to be FBS in football. You're right...bottom feeders and MAYBE if things fall just right, a very low tier no-name bowl...yippee!! Nah, I'll pass. 

FCS is more enjoyable and fun anyway, imo. ACTUAL playoffs and a legitimate shot to be National Champions at the end of a season. 

I'm excited about the new football digs. Looks top notch by the renderings I've seen. Next step (hopefully), get Bowers Stadium a major upgrade. 

1986? Dang...you're old. 😂

Eat 'em up, Kats!! 

You got the old right!

Yes time to get Bowers upgraded get that track gone build a track only facility. Then renovate it with lower tier entrance 

BTW The new Tennis Center is going to be built across the way from the stadium several million dollar project of which 1 million was subsidized by a very generous gift from an alumni that is a friend of mine.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Coach0001 said:

You got the old right!

Yes time to get Bowers upgraded get that track gone build a track only facility. Then renovate it with lower tier entrance 

BTW The new Tennis Center is going to be built across the way from the stadium several million dollar project of which 1 million was subsidized by a very generous gift from an alumni that is a friend of mine.

Hey, I'm right behind you and practically next to you on the old part, lol. 

Cool deal on the tennis facility. Where? 

I'm hopefully going to be able to attend at least one football game in the Spring. I haven't been to Sam in a couple of years now I guess. They had some construction going on last time I was there, and it'll be interesting to see the current upgrades to the campus. 

I'll be taking my baby girl with me. She's been there many times before. But she's hoping to become a Bearkat in a couple of years if she's able and the circumstances work out just right. She's wanted to be a Bearkat practically her whole life. She's a Jr in high school now. 

Eat 'em up Kats!!

SFA extended Kyle Keller's contract through the 2025-2026 season. Apparently his buyout clause expired, so good timing to get that fixed...

A lot of chatter on when SFA will update the field houses at Homer Bryce. BADLY needed...A lot of fans want the track gone as well, but I don't see that happening

My thought is for SFA to buy out the City of Nacogdoches at the little league parks, and build up the facilities they have in place. They added new batting cages and a pitching lab. Since they have invested that, might as well just bulldoze the little league fields and build up what they have despite it being off campus...

On 11/3/2020 at 8:35 AM, TTman7 said:

Hey, I'm right behind you and practically next to you on the old part, lol. 

Cool deal on the tennis facility. Where? 

I'm hopefully going to be able to attend at least one football game in the Spring. I haven't been to Sam in a couple of years now I guess. They had some construction going on last time I was there, and it'll be interesting to see the current upgrades to the campus. 

I'll be taking my baby girl with me. She's been there many times before. But she's hoping to become a Bearkat in a couple of years if she's able and the circumstances work out just right. She's wanted to be a Bearkat practically her whole life. She's a Jr in high school now. 

Eat 'em up Kats!!

Across from Bowers and Don Sanders stadiums 

That construction was the arts building its impressive 

Hope that works out for you and her

• Thanks 1

Getting harder for me to root against other SLC teams...Got a former student playing baseball at UNO (Will be a sophomore this year) and another former playing football at UIW (Freshman this year)...Current senior is committed to McNeese for baseball...Current junior committed to Sam for baseball...So many teams I want to hate, but now have a rooting interest for...😂

• 2 weeks later...