Southland Conference

Coach0001

7 hours ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Well don't keep us in suspense.......share the smoke.......:rofl:

Central Arkansas likely heading to the ASUN conference. Whatever sport the ASUN doesn't sponsor, they will compete in the Big South...

This is just the first domino. I think they are running Chicago State out of the WAC, and possibly pushing Seattle out too. SFA, ACU, Lamar, and Sam (Begrudgingly apparently) are still looking WAC bound. Southern Utah also heading to the WAC. Northern Colorado and maaaayyyybbbbee Montana also going to the WAC. 

ASUN is now looking like they will be a 20 member conference and break down into two divisions. WAC sounds like they are building the same thing. A lot of moving parts, but sounds like the Texas Four are definitely on their way out of the SLC...

• Like 1

On 11/16/2020 at 6:31 PM, topher805 said:

Central Arkansas likely heading to the ASUN conference. Whatever sport the ASUN doesn't sponsor, they will compete in the Big South...

This is just the first domino. I think they are running Chicago State out of the WAC, and possibly pushing Seattle out too. SFA, ACU, Lamar, and Sam (Begrudgingly apparently) are still looking WAC bound. Southern Utah also heading to the WAC. Northern Colorado and maaaayyyybbbbee Montana also going to the WAC. 

ASUN is now looking like they will be a 20 member conference and break down into two divisions. WAC sounds like they are building the same thing. A lot of moving parts, but sounds like the Texas Four are definitely on their way out of the SLC...

Been seeing the smoke signals on this on Twitter 

I agree SHSU is not enthralled at all with this move and there are multiple reasons it is not a good move for us 

7 minutes ago, Coach0001 said:

Been seeing the smoke signals on this on Twitter 

I agree SHSU is not enthralled at all with this move and there are multiple reasons it is not a good move for us 

I'm not enthralled with the move either. Apparently the WAC is making a lot of concessions and there is a lot going on behind the scenes to make sure the Texas four are happy...

If the rumor about Commerce coming too is true, then there is nothing they can do to make me happy. Not leaving the SLC for a glorified DII conference...

6 hours ago, topher805 said:

I'm not enthralled with the move either. Apparently the WAC is making a lot of concessions and there is a lot going on behind the scenes to make sure the Texas four are happy...

If the rumor about Commerce coming too is true, then there is nothing they can do to make me happy. Not leaving the SLC for a glorified DII conference...

West Texas AM  makes sense coming up to FCS enrollment is 10,000 and they have top notch facilities

Football makes no sense

Tarleton  the Texas 4 you mention and Dixie State as of now

New Mexico State is staying FBS

So you would have to add West Texas Angelo and Commerce to make the conf viable and give it 9 football playing schools

11 minutes ago, Coach0001 said:

West Texas AM  makes sense coming up to FCS enrollment is 10,000 and they have top notch facilities

Football makes no sense

Tarleton  the Texas 4 you mention and Dixie State as of now

New Mexico State is staying FBS

So you would have to add West Texas Angelo and Commerce to make the conf viable and give it 9 football playing schools

Southern Utah is supposedly already in. Rumors about Northern Colorado and Montana...Big Sky has a lot of problems right now apparently

5 hours ago, topher805 said:

Southern Utah is supposedly already in. Rumors about Northern Colorado and Montana...Big Sky has a lot of problems right now apparently

That’s great for the travel budgets of schools lol 

Of course I would rather go to one of those places to watch a game possibly than Lake Charles and Thibdeaux 

Basketball season already stinks...In just the past week:

St. Bonaventure pulls out of Bubbleville due to positive case. SFA replaces Bonnies with San Francisco.

Baylor pulls out of Empire Classic two days ago, and Rhode Island is pulled from SFA schedule to replace the Bears. SFA replaces the Rams with Army.

Less than 24 hours before tipping off the season, SFA has a member of their traveling party test positive, and the Jacks are sent home from Bubbleville.

No basketball this weekend. The best competition of our non-conference slate is gone. We are now scheduled to begin the season Dec 2 against Hardin Simmons. The remainder of this epic schedule include: Alcorn State, LeTourneau, UL-Monroe, Arkansas State, LSU-Shreveport, Southeastern Louisiana, and Paul Quinn...

On 11/25/2020 at 12:59 PM, topher805 said:

Basketball season already stinks...In just the past week:

St. Bonaventure pulls out of Bubbleville due to positive case. SFA replaces Bonnies with San Francisco.

Baylor pulls out of Empire Classic two days ago, and Rhode Island is pulled from SFA schedule to replace the Bears. SFA replaces the Rams with Army.

Less than 24 hours before tipping off the season, SFA has a member of their traveling party test positive, and the Jacks are sent home from Bubbleville.

No basketball this weekend. The best competition of our non-conference slate is gone. We are now scheduled to begin the season Dec 2 against Hardin Simmons. The remainder of this epic schedule include: Alcorn State, LeTourneau, UL-Monroe, Arkansas State, LSU-Shreveport, Southeastern Louisiana, and Paul Quinn...

Yikes...  Not even worth listening to on the radio... and why are they playing 2 D3 teams (is Paul Quinn D3 also?)

3 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Yikes...  Not even worth listening to on the radio... and why are they playing 2 D3 teams (is Paul Quinn D3 also?)

When covid changed schedules and these MTE's started popping up, DI teams dropped us from their schedule. Kansas and Baylor cut bait and decided to use their tournaments to boost their schedules.

SFA is a victim of their own success. Good enough to knock off someone, bad enough conference/RPI where beating us doesn't help...

Bubbleville was going to be nice with Rhode Island, San Francisco, and Towson. Yeah...Silver lining? Undefeated season is doable...

16 hours ago, topher805 said:

Its good move for hoops better RPI

I have many reservations Football it seems lateral move to downward with more travel cost

As of right now only 7 FCS teams I am sure others are being recruited 5 out of conference games would be scheduling nightmare 8 teams and 4 OOC are tough enough

Baseball down move no doubt 

We will see how it all shakes out 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Coach0001 said:

Its good move for hoops better RPI

I have many reservations Football it seems lateral move to downward with more travel cost

As of right now only 7 FCS teams I am sure others are being recruited 5 out of conference games would be scheduling nightmare 8 teams and 4 OOC are tough enough

Baseball down move no doubt 

We will see how it all shakes out 

Pros:

Better basketball
Better financially (Media rights for the Southland are basically nothing. The pull from some of these teams should guarantee more money). 

Cons:

Travel
Baseball takes a big step back. The Southland, for all their faults, was really good and a multi-bid league some years on the diamond.
Football takes a step back. How far remains to be seen, but Sam, McNeese, Nicholls, and UCA have stayed strong atop the standings for a while now. Losing those three will hurt. ACU has shown a willingness to spend the money and improve. SFA has done the same lately. Lamar...well...They're Lamar and I feel like the public schools weren't going anywhere without them...

All in all, with everything Ryan Ivey has done at SFA since his arrival, I trust that there is a plan for this and it isn't going to be crazy. There is already talk that Chicago State is out, and Seattle possibly as well. That leaves one spot open, and apparently the Texas schools are adamant for an 8-team football conference. I don't think NMSU will be that team, so they will have to invite someone else (Northern Arizona or Weber State?).

I hate giving up some of the rivalries in this, but financially this is an improvement from the Southland.

1 hour ago, topher805 said:

Pros:

Better basketball
Better financially (Media rights for the Southland are basically nothing. The pull from some of these teams should guarantee more money). 

Cons:

Travel
Baseball takes a big step back. The Southland, for all their faults, was really good and a multi-bid league some years on the diamond.
Football takes a step back. How far remains to be seen, but Sam, McNeese, Nicholls, and UCA have stayed strong atop the standings for a while now. Losing those three will hurt. ACU has shown a willingness to spend the money and improve. SFA has done the same lately. Lamar...well...They're Lamar and I feel like the public schools weren't going anywhere without them...

All in all, with everything Ryan Ivey has done at SFA since his arrival, I trust that there is a plan for this and it isn't going to be crazy. There is already talk that Chicago State is out, and Seattle possibly as well. That leaves one spot open, and apparently the Texas schools are adamant for an 8-team football conference. I don't think NMSU will be that team, so they will have to invite someone else (Northern Arizona or Weber State?).

I hate giving up some of the rivalries in this, but financially this is an improvement from the Southland.

West Texas AM coming up and being the 8th would be nice

They are FCS ready 

27 minutes ago, Coach0001 said:

Topher,

You got your game tonight SFA at Baylor 

Too much optimism from our fan base on this one...If we can beat the spread (-23.5), I'll call it a win. We haven't looked spectacular the last two nights out (10-point win vs. McNeese at home and 18-point win vs. LSU-Alexandria at home). Then again, we are prone to playing to our competition.

Still, I like the game. Lets us know what we need to work on going forward. I will take this over Hardin Simmons any day of the week...

So the scuttlebutt is they must find another FCS eligible team for the WAC Tarleton and Dixie are still ineligible because of the move up from D2

As it would stand now there would be 7 football members but only 5 are eligible and you must have at least 6 to get the Auto Bid

NM State should drop it would help the Conference and themselves but they are bent on staying FBS Independent 

SFA, Sam, Lamar, ACU, and Southern Utah all have programs. Tarleton and Dixie are ineligible for postseason play because of transitioning. That leaves one spot open to secure the auto-bid. 

I agree the best case would be NMSU dropping, but that isn't going to happen.

Instead I see them going after another team, maybe a West Texas A&M? The NCAA has been in a giving mood, and could grant them a waiver to make it an even 8-team conference. I'd still like to see more there, but I'm not sure where there is room to grow there...

20 hours ago, topher805 said:

SFA, Sam, Lamar, ACU, and Southern Utah all have programs. Tarleton and Dixie are ineligible for postseason play because of transitioning. That leaves one spot open to secure the auto-bid. 

I agree the best case would be NMSU dropping, but that isn't going to happen.

Instead I see them going after another team, maybe a West Texas A&M? The NCAA has been in a giving mood, and could grant them a waiver to make it an even 8-team conference. I'd still like to see more there, but I'm not sure where there is room to grow there...

Weber State was offered if they left the Big Sky that would be good for football and also basketball 

https://extrapoints.substack.com/p/the-latest-on-the-return-of-the-wac