Southland Conference

Coach0001

1 hour ago, Coach0001 said:

Two good wins for the conference!

I thought Sam had a better matchup tonight. They should handle Texas State...

I hate their series with Oklahoma State was cancelled. I think it was going to be a really good one. I also have a former student that was going to get his first career start Sunday for Sam...

1 hour ago, topher805 said:

I thought Sam had a better matchup tonight. They should handle Texas State...

I hate their series with Oklahoma State was cancelled. I think it was going to be a really good one. I also have a former student that was going to get his first career start Sunday for Sam...

Yes the Okie State being cancelled was to bad

The murders row schedule is coming in facing Tech TCU Texas and Rice over 5 day span 

Wins like those by ACU and SFA could really ramp up RPIs for the conference 

Well watched the game in Abilene tonight we had our chances ACU shot 53% from 3 point land and prob 70 percent last 10 minutes. They were banking in 3s Not much you can say on that.

I like our chances in Katy against them they will never shoot like that on a neutral floor 

Hope SFA takes care of business against them next week. 

7 hours ago, Coach0001 said:

Well watched the game in Abilene tonight we had our chances ACU shot 53% from 3 point land and prob 70 percent last 10 minutes. They were banking in 3s Not much you can say on that.

I like our chances in Katy against them they will never shoot like that on a neutral floor 

Hope SFA takes care of business against them next week. 

We should. Actually out-shot them when we went out there. Fouls were a big problem for us.

Incarnate Word thumped McNeese state 41-20. They had the top ranked Southland conference recruiting class in 2021. Things are looking up for the FCS program based in San Antonio. They have only been in the Southland for 5 years and already have a Conference championship in football. 

43 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

Incarnate Word thumped McNeese state 41-20. They had the top ranked Southland conference recruiting class in 2021. Things are looking up for the FCS program based in San Antonio. They have only been in the Southland for 5 years and already have a Conference championship in football. 

If they could put that same championship energy into their facilities and technology updates, there would be a lot more excitement about that program...

If they could put that same championship energy into their facilities and technology updates, there would be a lot more excitement about that program...

Agreed! They have plans to upgrade the facilities. It will happen. Definitely helps being THE Catholic University in the predominant Hispanic community in a large City like San Antonio. Future is bright. They will probably be playing Sam for another Conference championship the last game of the Spring season. 

On 2/27/2021 at 8:46 PM, eagle34 said:

Agreed! They have plans to upgrade the facilities. It will happen. Definitely helps being THE Catholic University in the predominant Hispanic community in a large City like San Antonio. Future is bright. They will probably be playing Sam for another Conference championship the last game of the Spring season. 

I don't think Mcneese is as good as we are used to them being

New coach bunch of players transfered out etc

IW lost the last 5 to end the 2019 season. 

They will have their hands full with SE and Nichols 

The future is bright I guess in the Southland for them depending if that Conference does survive 

Topher have you recovered from that hoops loss to Lamar Sat?

4 minutes ago, Coach0001 said:

I don't think Mcneese is as good as we are used to them being

New coach bunch of players transfered out etc

IW lost the last 5 to end the 2019 season. 

They will have their hands full with SE and Nichols 

The future is bright I guess in the Southland for them depending if that Conference does survive 

Topher have you recovered from that hoops loss to Lamar Sat?

No. No I have not. Funny story though, Lamar played "We Are The Champions" after the buzzer. The best part about ACU and SFA losing this weekend? Set up for Nicholls to probably win the regular season title...

Watched a couple of SLC football games this weekend. That offense for Sam is legit. That defense for Sam is not. SLU was moving the ball pretty well, and rightfully so because they are a really good team. McNeese is definitely down. I mean waaay down. That said, UIW looked really good. Nicholls is the team I don't buy into. They played a bad NAIA school to open the season, and they beat down a Lamar team that might go winless this spring. Lets see what they do against competition with a pulse...

No. No I have not. Funny story though, Lamar played "We Are The Champions" after the buzzer. The best part about ACU and SFA losing this weekend? Set up for Nicholls to probably win the regular season title...

Watched a couple of SLC football games this weekend. That offense for Sam is legit. That defense for Sam is not. SLU was moving the ball pretty well, and rightfully so because they are a really good team. McNeese is definitely down. I mean waaay down. That said, UIW looked really good. Nicholls is the team I don't buy into. They played a bad NAIA school to open the season, and they beat down a Lamar team that might go winless this spring. Lets see what they do against competition with a pulse...

You mean back into the regular season title

That defense was the number 1 defense in the conference in 2019 and returns 9 of 11. In 2019 we could not play the type of offense we are used to seeing at SHSU

We were missing our best player in the secondary but will be back for Nicholls 

The biggest play that kept the game going to the wire happened with the score 27-17 in the 3rd

SHSU gets a 3 out and SE La is punting from the 12 the umpire calls holding at the 30 and says its pre-kick

Absolutely no way it pre-kick! should have been SHSU ball around the 45 and chance to make it a 3 score lead

Past that the Qb from SE is 6-7 260 can move and is accurate great player and will light everyone up

SE had 74 yards rushing we had over 200

I think the defense will get it worked out and return to form. If they do that this team will be looking at a deep run with the revamped offense

45 minutes ago, Coach0001 said:

You mean back into the regular season title

That defense was the number 1 defense in the conference in 2019 and returns 9 of 11. In 2019 we could not play the type of offense we are used to seeing at SHSU

We were missing our best player in the secondary but will be back for Nicholls 

The biggest play that kept the game going to the wire happened with the score 27-17 in the 3rd

SHSU gets a 3 out and SE La is punting from the 12 the umpire calls holding at the 30 and says its pre-kick

Absolutely no way it pre-kick! should have been SHSU ball around the 45 and chance to make it a 3 score lead

Past that the Qb from SE is 6-7 260 can move and is accurate great player and will light everyone up

SE had 74 yards rushing we had over 200

I think the defense will get it worked out and return to form. If they do that this team will be looking at a deep run with the revamped offense

Ah. Good ol' Southland officials. Something I won't miss in the WAC. 

I think ya'll will be fine defensively. A lot of rust for a lot of people. I think three weeks from now, a lot of teams will look drastically different. NDSU is one of those teams. They were banking on Trey Lance leading the way, and then he bailed midway through the fall season. A lot of chemistry issues they are having to work through. 

In basketball news...Frank Martin has said, "Thanks but no thanks" to New Mexico for their vacancy. Now the Lobos have their sights set on Damon Stoudamire (Pacific) and Kyle Keller. Not sure how this offseason plays out with Keller and SFA, but his name will show up on a few short lists. 

It looks like a race for second now. Here are the current points standings with points available and remaining games...

1. Nicholls 39/42 (@McNeese)
2. SHSU 36/42 (vs. AMCC, vs. SFA)
3. ACU 34/40 (@SFA, vs. UIW)
4. SFA 34/40 (vs. ACU, @SHSU)

SFA (vs. UIW) and ACU (@SLU) both had games cancelled due to Covid...

On 3/1/2021 at 11:41 AM, topher805 said:

Ah. Good ol' Southland officials. Something I won't miss in the WAC. 

I think ya'll will be fine defensively. A lot of rust for a lot of people. I think three weeks from now, a lot of teams will look drastically different. NDSU is one of those teams. They were banking on Trey Lance leading the way, and then he bailed midway through the fall season. A lot of chemistry issues they are having to work through. 

Check this out!

I told you how comical this was Saturday 

There was no way it was a first down for SE

Reviewed the play still incorrect rules application!

If you read the thread the head of Southland officials was trying to call the review official To tell him you are making a huge error and could not get the phone line to work. Unbelievable!

Crew should be disciplined but won’t be 

• LOL! 1

On 3/2/2021 at 9:51 AM, topher805 said:

It looks like a race for second now. Here are the current points standings with points available and remaining games...

1. Nicholls 39/42 (@McNeese)
2. SHSU 36/42 (vs. AMCC, vs. SFA)
3. ACU 34/40 (@SFA, vs. UIW)
4. SFA 34/40 (vs. ACU, @SHSU)

SFA (vs. UIW) and ACU (@SLU) both had games cancelled due to Covid...

You following the stuff on twitter about this and the commish handing them the trophy last night?

Even though a SHSU victory Sat Night leaves us both 14-2 tied atop the Conf  But we swept them head to head?

9 minutes ago, Coach0001 said:

You following the stuff on twitter about this and the commish handing them the trophy last night?

Even though a SHSU victory Sat Night leaves us both 14-2 tied atop the Conf  But we swept them head to head?

The Southland is a joke. The commish is actively rooting against the Texas 4 and stacking the deck for the Louisiana schools. He wasn't in Nac when the women clinched the outright title. I don't expect him to be in Huntsville for IF ya'll get the win. Glad our last game is Saturday...

23 hours ago, topher805 said:

The Southland is a joke. The commish is actively rooting against the Texas 4 and stacking the deck for the Louisiana schools. He wasn't in Nac when the women clinched the outright title. I don't expect him to be in Huntsville for IF ya'll get the win. Glad our last game is Saturday...

It would be hard to blame him. Particularly with the way those teams are leaving the Conference. 

6 hours ago, eagle34 said:

It would be hard to blame him. Particularly with the way those teams are leaving the Conference. 

He kicked us out a year early. It isn't some abrupt departure...It was no secret we were exploring options after other Southland schools refused to make a commitment...

42 minutes ago, topher805 said:

He kicked us out a year early. It isn't some abrupt departure...It was no secret we were exploring options after other Southland schools refused to make a commitment...

He should have kicked the school's out that quit on the conference. After what 40+ years of being a member of the Southland. It's kind of like the old saying "Dont let the doorknob hit....". SFA is a basketball school now which I understand why they would leave. Sam is a Football and Baseball school and I dont see the logic in them leaving. I know the schools are getting more money from the WAC, but the travel budgets will be 10 fold. 

6 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

He should have kicked the school's out that quit on the conference. After what 40+ years of being a member of the Southland. It's kind of like the old saying "Dont let the doorknob hit....". SFA is a basketball school now which I understand why they would leave. Sam is a Football and Baseball school and I dont see the logic in them leaving. I know the schools are getting more money from the WAC, but the travel budgets will be 10 fold. 

Travel is actually better now. With the division setup, SFA and Sam will travel less than if they were in the SLC. 

I can see the skepticism for Sam when it comes to baseball and football. Football will be good and quickly there. I don't see a huge drop from what the Southland provides right now. Baseball will take a little more time. That said, Sam schedules well enough to where I don't think it will be a problem. 

Want to talk rivalries burned? I will agree 100% on that. I hate losing the Battle for Chief Caddo. McNeese has been a traditional power for a long time and always a good rival. Everyone else? Don't care. 

The reason there was never a Southland network on ESPN+? Most the schools wouldn't/couldn't upgrade their families to meet the minimum requirement needed. Shall we talk HBU and their D1 facilities? I go against against grain of most and actually see some value in UIW. There was no commitment to growth and be better. The status quo was fine for everyone. Nicholls was okay passing on postseason play because they couldn't afford it. NWST was fine with opposing teams using the gym to get ready for football games because they don't have visitor locker rooms. Again, HBU. 

I don't like leaving those teams, but there is more benefit leaving than staying and that isn't just a basketball benefit. All sports are going to see a jump from this. 

12 minutes ago, topher805 said:

Was torn on who to root for last night. At the end I just felt bad for Sam. You guys got absolutely hosed...

The 2 controversial plays versus each evened out. Hate that the refs had to make themselves part of the game.