Jump to content
The Smoakhouse Forums

Southland Conference


Recommended Posts

On 8/18/2020 at 8:39 PM, topher805 said:

Yeah. We are definitely leaving the Southland sooner rather than later...Smart call for Ivey on not playing this spring. No benefit for the team or their safety if the SLC pushes to play again in fall of 21...

 

Just curious. Where do you think SFA would go. What other FCS conference would make sense. Travel would be a nightmare. I think this is a pipe dream. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think Carthel was kidding around when he said it postgame...Then the athletic department ran with it...I don't even know what to say about that...Should have just left it at the shirtless dancing...

Pipe dream depending on who goes. If we can get Sam, ACU, and UCA or McNeely, I think there are good options. Southern with that crew. Drop ACU and pick up Tarleton and make a run at Ohio Valley. I'd

Btw, congratulations to sfa on their 2020 SLC Football Championship. 😂🤣😂 Pretty sad. 😂

There are no leaders in the Southland. bunch of cowards in the league office. Sam is shameful also. I am a grad. I quit donating after they have let Keeler continue to kill the program that was built by Coach Fritz. slowly but surely he has changed to formula that Fritz put in place that put Sam in the upper class of 1-AA. Bobby Williams has always just been a yes man at AD.  Keeler had great success under the Fritz formula of adding D1 transfers and mixing them 70-30 (70 HS kids) with the HS kids.  Sam never saw the kinds of success. Formula there, just dont screw it up.  Instead he started wanting to limit the number of transfers and trying to build a North East academic model like Delaware.  News flash, Sam aint Delaware.  his liberal elitism has rubbed a ton of people at Sam wrong, former player and HS coaches around the state.  He was one of the cheerleaders to not play.  There is a reason they ran him off is alma mater after wining a national title with 6 years left on his contract.  Ironically he sure took transfer Joe Flacco from Pitt when he was at Delaware.. Hypocrite.

Back tot he laughable Southland.  You have HS football, Big 12, SEC, CUSA, Sun Belt, AAC and the NFL all playing football in Texas.  Houston baptist, SFA and ACU all from the Southland will play some games.        So ALL 1A and 1-AA schools and a few d-2 schools are playing in Texas, EXCEPT Lamar ( yea, the had a covid outbreak, but had plenty of time to get thru the quarantine and get some games there players were asymptomatic and it was Aug 11th when it was reported they had the outbreak, being picked last in the conference can make a coach think, maybe its not safe to play and relate that to his AD and school President, unsafe for his JOB) Incarnate Word ( still dont know if they are real serious about playing bigger time football) and Sam Houston who has ZERO reason not to be playing, ZERO.

 

Southland and Sam Houston, cowards

 

 

sorry, rant over :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Eagle1986 said:

There are no leaders in the Southland. bunch of cowards in the league office. Sam is shameful also. I am a grad. I quit donating after they have let Keeler continue to kill the program that was built by Coach Fritz. slowly but surely he has changed to formula that Fritz put in place that put Sam in the upper class of 1-AA. Bobby Williams has always just been a yes man at AD.  Keeler had great success under the Fritz formula of adding D1 transfers and mixing them 70-30 (70 HS kids) with the HS kids.  Sam never saw the kinds of success. Formula there, just dont screw it up.  Instead he started wanting to limit the number of transfers and trying to build a North East academic model like Delaware.  News flash, Sam aint Delaware.  his liberal elitism has rubbed a ton of people at Sam wrong, former player and HS coaches around the state.  He was one of the cheerleaders to not play.  There is a reason they ran him off is alma mater after wining a national title with 6 years left on his contract.  Ironically he sure took transfer Joe Flacco from Pitt when he was at Delaware.. Hypocrite.

Back tot he laughable Southland.  You have HS football, Big 12, SEC, CUSA, Sun Belt, AAC and the NFL all playing football in Texas.  Houston baptist, SFA and ACU all from the Southland will play some games.        So ALL 1A and 1-AA schools and a few d-2 schools are playing in Texas, EXCEPT Lamar ( yea, the had a covid outbreak, but had plenty of time to get thru the quarantine and get some games there players were asymptomatic and it was Aug 11th when it was reported they had the outbreak, being picked last in the conference can make a coach think, maybe its not safe to play and relate that to his AD and school President, unsafe for his JOB) Incarnate Word ( still dont know if they are real serious about playing bigger time football) and Sam Houston who has ZERO reason not to be playing, ZERO.

 

Southland and Sam Houston, cowards

 

 

sorry, rant over :)

First...Man, you need to switch to decaffeinated coffee. Seriously. 😁

Second...your Bearkat card is REVOKED. 😉

Third...is your username "Tripod" on another site? 🤔

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TTman7 said:

First...Man, you need to switch to decaffeinated coffee. Seriously. 😁

Second...your Bearkat card is REVOKED. 😉

Third...is your username "Tripod" on another site? 🤔

That other site is fun...Baseball coach is the only guy yall seem to like over there, mainly because this is his first year and hasn't had a chance to tick people off...lol

Meanwhile, the SFA version is some sunshine pumpers...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2020 at 7:22 AM, eagle34 said:

Just curious. Where do you think SFA would go. What other FCS conference would make sense. Travel would be a nightmare. I think this is a pipe dream. 

Pipe dream depending on who goes. If we can get Sam, ACU, and UCA or McNeely, I think there are good options. Southern with that crew. Drop ACU and pick up Tarleton and make a run at Ohio Valley. I'd say Missouri Valley but that is a MASSIVE conference already. 

Maybe go in and form a new conference. Join the WAC and start an FCS conference there. New Mexico State, Dixie State and Tarleton already have programs. SFA, ACU, and Sam make it six. Toss in UCA to keep them out of the OVC. Call up West Texas A&M and Commerce. I know WT is eyeballing a move up. 

It isn't as much of a pipe dream as people might think. SFA going FBS? Absolutely. The Sun Belt or C-USA is no better imo (For basketball purposes). 

I'm also okay with staying in the Southland as long as there are substantial changes. Tom Burnett is OUT. Dude couldn't manage a Bucees and all you have to do there is just open the doors...Better leadership is needed. I know we can't kick anyone out, but there are programs that are not ready for DI and not sure they are really committed to being at this level...

Who knows though. I'm just glad football is back this week (UCA vs. Austin Peay) and the Jacks are pushing through with hopefully a full fall schedule.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, topher805 said:

That other site is fun...Baseball coach is the only guy yall seem to like over there, mainly because this is his first year and hasn't had a chance to tick people off...lol

Meanwhile, the SFA version is some sunshine pumpers...

 

Yep...ALOT of opinions over there, lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2020 at 9:10 PM, Eagle1986 said:

 

Back tot he laughable Southland.  You have HS football, Big 12, SEC, CUSA, Sun Belt, AAC and the NFL all playing football in Texas.  Houston baptist, SFA and ACU all from the Southland will play some games.        So ALL 1A and 1-AA schools and a few d-2 schools are playing in Texas, EXCEPT Lamar ( yea, the had a covid outbreak, but had plenty of time to get thru the quarantine and get some games there players were asymptomatic and it was Aug 11th when it was reported they had the outbreak, being picked last in the conference can make a coach think, maybe its not safe to play and relate that to his AD and school President, unsafe for his JOB) Incarnate Word ( still dont know if they are real serious about playing bigger time football) and Sam Houston who has ZERO reason not to be playing, ZERO.

 

what d2 schools are playing?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2020 at 9:10 PM, Eagle1986 said:

There are no leaders in the Southland. bunch of cowards in the league office. Sam is shameful also. I am a grad. I quit donating after they have let Keeler continue to kill the program that was built by Coach Fritz. slowly but surely he has changed to formula that Fritz put in place that put Sam in the upper class of 1-AA. Bobby Williams has always just been a yes man at AD.  Keeler had great success under the Fritz formula of adding D1 transfers and mixing them 70-30 (70 HS kids) with the HS kids.  Sam never saw the kinds of success. Formula there, just dont screw it up.  Instead he started wanting to limit the number of transfers and trying to build a North East academic model like Delaware.  News flash, Sam aint Delaware.  his liberal elitism has rubbed a ton of people at Sam wrong, former player and HS coaches around the state.  He was one of the cheerleaders to not play.  There is a reason they ran him off is alma mater after wining a national title with 6 years left on his contract.  Ironically he sure took transfer Joe Flacco from Pitt when he was at Delaware.. Hypocrite.

Back tot he laughable Southland.  You have HS football, Big 12, SEC, CUSA, Sun Belt, AAC and the NFL all playing football in Texas.  Houston baptist, SFA and ACU all from the Southland will play some games.        So ALL 1A and 1-AA schools and a few d-2 schools are playing in Texas, EXCEPT Lamar ( yea, the had a covid outbreak, but had plenty of time to get thru the quarantine and get some games there players were asymptomatic and it was Aug 11th when it was reported they had the outbreak, being picked last in the conference can make a coach think, maybe its not safe to play and relate that to his AD and school President, unsafe for his JOB) Incarnate Word ( still dont know if they are real serious about playing bigger time football) and Sam Houston who has ZERO reason not to be playing, ZERO.

 

Southland and Sam Houston, cowards

 

 

sorry, rant over :)

As a proud Kat Alumni I agree on a lot of what you are saying 

I will still love my University and push the buttons as I can and ask questions of decision makers.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep Keeler and Hooten as long as yall want...lol

Actually I think Hooten is a very good coach. He has been probably the most consistent coach in the SLC since he took over for Marlin.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, topher805 said:

Keep Keeler and Hooten as long as yall want...lol

Actually I think Hooten is a very good coach. He has been probably the most consistent coach in the SLC since he took over for Marlin.

Consistent and not getting to the Tournament 

I am sure you love him in Huntsville 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple more added to the schedule 

Sept 5 @ UTEP

Sept 19 @ UTSA

Sept 26 @ SMU

Oct 3 vs. West Texas A&M

Oct 10 vs. Angelo State

Oct 24 vs. Abilene Christian (@Globe Life Park)

Nov 7 @ Eastern Kentucky

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

SFA now with a full 10-game schedule. Kudos to Ryan Ivey and Coach Carthel for throwing this together on the fly. For such a young team to get a full season of reps, and not lose any eligibility is HUGE. This team is going to be VERY good next year...I also don't expect another loss until the finale against Memphis

Sept 5 @ UTEP (L 14-24)

Sept 19 @ UTSA (L 10-24)

Sept 26 @ SMU (L 7-50)

Oct 3 vs. West Texas A&M

Oct 10 vs. Angelo State

Oct 24 vs. Abilene Christian (@Globe Life Park)

Oct 31 vs. Western Colorado

Nov 7 @ Eastern Kentucky

Nov 14 vs. Pittsburg State

Nov 21 @ Memphis

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, topher805 said:

 

Would that be better for them and would that be certain or just for Covid. The WAC could be taken more seriously I suppose definitely basketball. I honestly have no idea who is in the WAC but I assume better than the Southland.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Would that be better for them and would that be certain or just for Covid. The WAC could be taken more seriously I suppose definitely basketball. I honestly have no idea who is in the WAC but I assume better than the Southland.

Current WAC members include: California Baptist, Chicago State, Dixie State, Grand Canyon University, New Mexico State, Seattle University, Tarleton State, UT-Rio Grande Valley, and Utah Valley

This move is a lot about forming a WAC football conference (FCS probably). I'm not 100% on board. I'm not 100% against it either. A lot to digest with this one (Travel, Competition, Financial)

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2020 at 9:04 AM, topher805 said:

Current WAC members include: California Baptist, Chicago State, Dixie State, Grand Canyon University, New Mexico State, Seattle University, Tarleton State, UT-Rio Grande Valley, and Utah Valley

This move is a lot about forming a WAC football conference (FCS probably). I'm not 100% on board. I'm not 100% against it either. A lot to digest with this one (Travel, Competition, Financial)

LOL. I have never heard of these schools. How is this an improvement? Do these schools even play football? Pipe dream Topher. I know you are a basketball guy, but this makes absolutely no sense for football. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

LOL. I have never heard of these schools. How is this an improvement? Do these schools even play football? Pipe dream Topher. I know you are a basketball guy, but this makes absolutely no sense for football. 

I am with you. New Mexico St sounds familiar , the Texas based schools,and heard an add before on Grand Canyon on a Christian music channel. That about it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2020 at 8:18 PM, topher805 said:

 

https://www.itemonline.com/sports/source-shsu-hasn-t-received-invitation-to-join-wac/article_95515eb2-1551-11eb-82c1-1b06a6e8d2f2.html

This is FAR from being official, but report says Sam didn't get an invite. But, it's still early and things could come out differently later. 

I'm against a move to the WAC. Things I've read said that the WAC football conference will soon be wanting to be FBS...even if they start out FCS. And Sam IS NOT ready for a move to FCS (nor are the other 3). Also, depending on how it'd be set up, travel & financial expenses would be worse than what they have now. 

Unless I can see a definite plan of action in place that would benefit Sam (and the others) I'm out on any move to the WAC. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TTman7 said:

https://www.itemonline.com/sports/source-shsu-hasn-t-received-invitation-to-join-wac/article_95515eb2-1551-11eb-82c1-1b06a6e8d2f2.html

This is FAR from being official, but report says Sam didn't get an invite. But, it's still early and things could come out differently later. 

I'm against a move to the WAC. Things I've read said that the WAC football conference will soon be wanting to be FBS...even if they start out FCS. And Sam IS NOT ready for a move to FCS (nor are the other 3). Also, depending on how it'd be set up, travel & financial expenses would be worse than what they have now. 

Unless I can see a definite plan of action in place that would benefit Sam (and the others) I'm out on any move to the WAC. 

Obviously nothing official, but it is something the SLC leadership needs to take notice of. I'm not a fan at all of the SLC and the leadership. They are weak and shortsighted.

That said, as alluring as leaving for the WAC is, I don't think it is the right move. As @eagle34 said, it is more of a pipe dream at the moment, but definitely gives hopeto getting out of this god forsaken conference. I am a basketball guy, and that is why I am more opposed to it than anything. Say we make the move. SFA, ACU, and Sam help the conference to some extent, but not enough to make it a multi-bid league. That means you basically see SFA and ACU duking it out with New Mexico State for the only bid. It makes our road to the tournament tougher, and no better seeding (NMSU best seeding in the  past few year has been 12-seed). Why would we want a move like that? Plus the added travel (Chicago to Seattle). No thanks.

I really don't think there should be any aspirations for FBS football in Nacogdoches. I would rather be a good FCS year in year out, than a bad FBS program. Plus as you said, none of the schools on the supposed invite are not ready for that kind of move at all. ACU is probably the best fit and I think they do make that jump one day (Sooner rather than later). 

I think SFA needs to set up some 5-year plan. Continue to do what they do and put pressure on the SLC to do better. If not? Well...bye...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, topher805 said:

Obviously nothing official, but it is something the SLC leadership needs to take notice of. I'm not a fan at all of the SLC and the leadership. They are weak and shortsighted.

That said, as alluring as leaving for the WAC is, I don't think it is the right move. As @eagle34 said, it is more of a pipe dream at the moment, but definitely gives hopeto getting out of this god forsaken conference. I am a basketball guy, and that is why I am more opposed to it than anything. Say we make the move. SFA, ACU, and Sam help the conference to some extent, but not enough to make it a multi-bid league. That means you basically see SFA and ACU duking it out with New Mexico State for the only bid. It makes our road to the tournament tougher, and no better seeding (NMSU best seeding in the  past few year has been 12-seed). Why would we want a move like that? Plus the added travel (Chicago to Seattle). No thanks.

I really don't think there should be any aspirations for FBS football in Nacogdoches. I would rather be a good FCS year in year out, than a bad FBS program. Plus as you said, none of the schools on the supposed invite are not ready for that kind of move at all. ACU is probably the best fit and I think they do make that jump one day (Sooner rather than later). 

I think SFA needs to set up some 5-year plan. Continue to do what they do and put pressure on the SLC to do better. If not? Well...bye...

Agreed. 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

Btw, congratulations to sfa on their 2020 SLC Football Championship. 😂🤣😂

Pretty sad. 😂

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, TTman7 said:

Btw, congratulations to sfa on their 2020 SLC Football Championship. 😂🤣😂

Pretty sad. 😂

I think Carthel was kidding around when he said it postgame...Then the athletic department ran with it...I don't even know what to say about that...Should have just left it at the shirtless dancing...😂

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, topher805 said:

I think Carthel was kidding around when he said it postgame...Then the athletic department ran with it...I don't even know what to say about that...Should have just left it at the shirtless dancing...😂

Yea, figured it was in jest. But can't unsee the shirtless dancing 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...