Parents, Police Union Express Outrage Over School Assignment of Political Cartoon Comparing Police to KKK, Slave Owner

Monte1076

Political cartoons along with free speech and differing ideas, don't belong in public schools. Next thing you know, they will want to start debating issues, problem solving, and thinking for themselves. Good for you, Wylie ISD, for taking a stand against that nonsense! Only memes alleging child molestation and approved videos from Prager U should be allowed, in my studied opinion. 

• Thumbs Down 1
  • Stinks 2

6 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

Political cartoons along with free speech and differing ideas, don't belong in public schools. Next thing you know, they will want to start debating issues, problem solving, and thinking for themselves. Good for you, Wylie ISD, for taking a stand against that nonsense! Only memes alleging child molestation and approved videos from Prager U should be allowed, in my studied opinion. 

I generally have respect for you. This is not a good response for you. 

7 minutes ago, Youngcoach123 said:

I generally have respect for you. This is not a good response for you. 

😪

Been a long week...my filter is gone, I am afraid. Did you go to the guy's website and view some of his other cartoons? I did, but I didn't see the one in question. I would apply this to that, without seeing it...it probably wasn't appropriate for that age group, without some guidance in a controlled setting, not just to put it on the Internet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BarryLaverty said:

😪

Been a long week...my filter is gone, I am afraid. Did you go to the guy's website and view some of his other cartoons? I did, but I didn't see the one in question. I would apply this to that, without seeing it...it probably wasn't appropriate for that age group, without some guidance in a controlled setting, not just to put it on the Internet. 

That’s a post I would expect from you.

6 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

Colleges use pragerU videos in their govt online classes

9 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

Just so I'm clear, mandatory feeding junior high students cartoons that portray cops as the KKK and slave owners would encourage "debating issues, problem solving, and thinking for themselves"? So preventing those would discourage "debating issues, problem solving, and thinking for themselves"

Surely you can't be serious? 

(I am serious and don't call me Shirley)

5 hours ago, Youngcoach123 said:

Hopefully no one uses the civil War video from prager  U.  

The ones I saw in my fed govt class pertained to  how the federal govt operated.  The ones I saw were very informative and didn’t always have a political slant.  Sometimes I felt if anything they had a liberal slant in some of them.

4 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

The ones I saw in my fed govt class pertained to  how the federal govt operated.  The ones I saw were very informative and didn’t always have a political slant.  Sometimes I felt if anything they had a liberal slant in some of them.

👍 yes they are not all bad. Just pointing out that they do have issues as well.

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

7 hours ago, trashyhound said:

Just so I'm clear, mandatory feeding junior high students cartoons that portray cops as the KKK and slave owners would encourage "debating issues, problem solving, and thinking for themselves"? So preventing those would discourage "debating issues, problem solving, and thinking for themselves"

Surely you can't be serious? 

(I am serious and don't call me Shirley)

A reason why we have adults who cannot think for themselves. I guess I was a different student because every one of my social studies teachers hated me. Especially my 4th grade Texas history teacher. I just could not understand how Santa Anna was a bad guy and she hated me for it lol.

8 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

A reason why we have adults who cannot think for themselves. I guess I was a different student because every one of my social studies teachers hated me. Especially my 4th grade Texas history teacher. I just could not understand how Santa Anna was a bad guy and she hated me for it lol.

Let me guess. You were FOR King George III also? 

10 minutes ago, TTman7 said:

Let me guess. You were FOR King George III also? 

Oh that war where a bunch of rich people and smugglers got upset and talk to everybody else into fighting England? That was the biggest propaganda campaign in history. 

Also, blacks can't look at history in the same view as others. Problem the fourth grade was that Santa Ana supposed to be a bad guy and I cannot understand why the bad guy wanted slavery abolished in Texas. Don't even get me started on the revolution.

1 hour ago, ctown81 said:

What if  they would have had these cartoons as discussion questions asking them to analyze the cartoon and then stating why they agree or disagree with it? 

1) Not age appropriate I didn’t think. 
2) you can spark debate and analyze things without smearing the police. What is there to agree with comparing the cops to the KKK?

6 minutes ago, Youngcoach123 said:

2) you can spark debate and analyze things without smearing the police. What is there to agree with comparing the cops to the KKK?

Got you but not sure about age appropriate. We don't give kids enough credit. (8th graders right?) As for number 2 some kids would verbally question the rationale of the police being compared to the KKK and would not agree with it. Personally I think it's an accurate comparison but I don't think this thread is the place.

1 minute ago, ctown81 said:

Personally I think it's an accurate comparison but I don't think this thread is the place.

So you think that police officers are a hate group--please tell me you don't teach our children. 

We all know that police officers are HATED--but that does NOT make them a HATE group like the KKK. SMFH IF!!!!!

2 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

So you think that police officers are a hate group--please tell me you don't teach our children. 

We all know that police officers are HATED--but that does NOT make them a HATE group like the KKK. SMFH IF!!!!!

No I'm saying members of hate groups are also officers.

1 minute ago, ctown81 said:

No I'm saying members of hate groups are also officers.

Does that include Antifa, the Black Panthers, Al-Queda, ISIS? I just want to make sure that there could be officers that support or are members of those hate groups also. 

So if the question had stated police officers to antifa anarchist--you'd be okay with that also. I mean we want the students to critically think and learn for themselves. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

Got you but not sure about age appropriate. We don't give kids enough credit. (8th graders right?) As for number 2 some kids would verbally question the rationale of the police being compared to the KKK and would not agree with it. Personally I think it's an accurate comparison but I don't think this thread is the place.

Well respectfully disagree. More than welcome to have this discussion another time. 

2 hours ago, ctown81 said:

Oh that war where a bunch of rich people and smugglers got upset and talk to everybody else into fighting England? That was the biggest propaganda campaign in history. 

Also, blacks can't look at history in the same view as others. Problem the fourth grade was that Santa Ana supposed to be a bad guy and I cannot understand why the bad guy wanted slavery abolished in Texas. Don't even get me started on the revolution.

Santa Anna wasn’t fighting to free slaves.  He was fighting to keep Texas as part of Mexico and he was a mean dictatorial ####.  

1 hour ago, Youngcoach123 said:

Should be teaching 4th graders to respect the law.  Then when they’re older they might actually respect the law

• Thanks 1