Challenge? I Post A Story About Biden, Then You Post One About Trump

BarryLaverty

Don't put some snickering, nasty and wrong post in response...instead find a story that equates to this. Trump making a difference in the life of someone in a personal way is what I would like to see. 

https://www.upworthy.com/boy-reveals-how-joe-biden-helped-him-overcome-his-stutter-in-inspiring-90-second-speech

HEROES

Boy reveals how Joe Biden helped him overcome his stutter in inspiring 90 second speech

Boy reveals how Joe Biden helped him overcome his stutter in inspiring 90 second speech

Throughout the 2020 election season, you've probably heard just about every insult and insinuation thrown Joe Biden's way when it comes to the former vice president's speaking style. Everything from implications that he's "lost a step" to open and unfounded claims that he is suffering from dementia. The truth is, Joe Biden has always struggled with public speaking and for very good reason: He was born was a severe stutter that he spent years working on.

Putting politics aside, it's an amazing trajectory that someone who struggled to form basic words and sentences as a child is now giving a 20-minute acceptance speech as the presidential nominee for a major political party. And all while, countless armchair quarterbacks analyze every imperfect syllable or offbeat cadence as evidence of "decline."

But then there are others who have experienced firsthand what Biden went through as a child and likely still navigates on a daily basis. This was perfectly illustrated during Thursday night's Democratic National Convention when 13-year-old Brayden Harrington explained in an incredibly moving video how a personal meeting with Biden helped him to overcome his own struggles with his stutter.

Honestly, if you haven't seen this, it was easily the most powerful moment during the convention and it had nothing to do with the coronavirus, taxes, immigration or anything remotely political. It was the measurement of a man and his profound impact on a young stranger.

"We stutter," Harrington says simply near the top of the 1 minute and 40-second video, creating an instant and powerful bit of connective tissue between himself and Biden. "It's really amazing to hear that someone became vice president," Harrington says.

The video itself is instructional for anyone unfamiliar with just how tricky a stutter can be, obviously for the person speaking, but also for their audience. As Harrington works through his short speech, he is incredibly articulate and measured, then suddenly hanging on a seemingly simple "s" for moments that can feel like an eternity.It's not simply the act of physically articulating but simultaneously grappling with the anxiety and stress of knowing you are being watched, analyzed and judged. And yet, Harrington powers through it with a clear sense of bravery most of us could only imagine demonstrating.

Harrington goes on to explain how Biden gave him a personal tip for how he learned to work through his stutter. "He told me about a book of poems by Yeats that he would read out loud to practice," Harrington said, recounting how they met during a CNN town hall back in February while Biden was still competing in the Democratic primary.

During their one-on-one meeting, Biden went into further detail about his strategies for coping with his stutter, even showing him the speech he gave at the CNN town hall, which included special markings throughout the speech where Biden anticipated needing to pause or stop in order to mitigate likely challenging passages. "It has nothing to do with your intelligence quotient. It has nothing to do with your intellectual makeup," Biden told him.

"I'm just trying to be a kid," Brayden says near the end of the video. "And in a short amount of time, Joe Biden made me feel more confident about something that's bothered me my whole life. Joe Biden cared. Imagine what he could do for all of us."

Needless to say, it's impossible to not instantly compare the anecdote to President Trump, who infamously mocked a disabled man while campaigning for president in 2016. Does anyone honestly expect to see a video like this during the Republican convention next week?

Is there anyone in this world with a story of how Trump personally helped them that doesn't involved a business deal or a beauty pageant? It's a stark contrast that tells us everything about today's political debate, even if the video itself was on the surface about everything but politics.

But more than that, it's a simple story about bravery and how one person used their position of immense power and privilege to connect with a child in a way that has clearly changed this young man's life in a very meaningful, and positive, way. When we talk about "public service" there might not be a better example than this during the entire 2020 election.

43 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

Don't put some snickering, nasty and wrong post in response...instead find a story that equates to this. Trump making a difference in the life of someone in a personal way is what I would like to see. 

https://www.upworthy.com/boy-reveals-how-joe-biden-helped-him-overcome-his-stutter-in-inspiring-90-second-speech

HEROES

Throughout the 2020 election season, you've probably heard just about every insult and insinuation thrown Joe Biden's way when it comes to the former vice president's speaking style. Everything from implications that he's "lost a step" to open and unfounded claims that he is suffering from dementia. The truth is, Joe Biden has always struggled with public speaking and for very good reason: He was born was a severe stutter that he spent years working on.

Putting politics aside, it's an amazing trajectory that someone who struggled to form basic words and sentences as a child is now giving a 20-minute acceptance speech as the presidential nominee for a major political party. And all while, countless armchair quarterbacks analyze every imperfect syllable or offbeat cadence as evidence of "decline."

But then there are others who have experienced firsthand what Biden went through as a child and likely still navigates on a daily basis. This was perfectly illustrated during Thursday night's Democratic National Convention when 13-year-old Brayden Harrington explained in an incredibly moving video how a personal meeting with Biden helped him to overcome his own struggles with his stutter.

Honestly, if you haven't seen this, it was easily the most powerful moment during the convention and it had nothing to do with the coronavirus, taxes, immigration or anything remotely political. It was the measurement of a man and his profound impact on a young stranger.

"We stutter," Harrington says simply near the top of the 1 minute and 40-second video, creating an instant and powerful bit of connective tissue between himself and Biden. "It's really amazing to hear that someone became vice president," Harrington says.

The video itself is instructional for anyone unfamiliar with just how tricky a stutter can be, obviously for the person speaking, but also for their audience. As Harrington works through his short speech, he is incredibly articulate and measured, then suddenly hanging on a seemingly simple "s" for moments that can feel like an eternity.It's not simply the act of physically articulating but simultaneously grappling with the anxiety and stress of knowing you are being watched, analyzed and judged. And yet, Harrington powers through it with a clear sense of bravery most of us could only imagine demonstrating.

Harrington goes on to explain how Biden gave him a personal tip for how he learned to work through his stutter. "He told me about a book of poems by Yeats that he would read out loud to practice," Harrington said, recounting how they met during a CNN town hall back in February while Biden was still competing in the Democratic primary.

During their one-on-one meeting, Biden went into further detail about his strategies for coping with his stutter, even showing him the speech he gave at the CNN town hall, which included special markings throughout the speech where Biden anticipated needing to pause or stop in order to mitigate likely challenging passages. "It has nothing to do with your intelligence quotient. It has nothing to do with your intellectual makeup," Biden told him.

"I'm just trying to be a kid," Brayden says near the end of the video. "And in a short amount of time, Joe Biden made me feel more confident about something that's bothered me my whole life. Joe Biden cared. Imagine what he could do for all of us."

Needless to say, it's impossible to not instantly compare the anecdote to President Trump, who infamously mocked a disabled man while campaigning for president in 2016. Does anyone honestly expect to see a video like this during the Republican convention next week?

Is there anyone in this world with a story of how Trump personally helped them that doesn't involved a business deal or a beauty pageant? It's a stark contrast that tells us everything about today's political debate, even if the video itself was on the surface about everything but politics.

But more than that, it's a simple story about bravery and how one person used their position of immense power and privilege to connect with a child in a way that has clearly changed this young man's life in a very meaningful, and positive, way. When we talk about "public service" there might not be a better example than this during the entire 2020 election.

Ok..... Trump changed me from thinking he was nothing but a shameless self-promoter; He still does that, but there is also the side of him that has totally convinced me that he cares more about this country than the Entire Democrat Clown Show.
You guys criticize everything he has done even before he was sworn into the Office of President of These United States of America!

Can you, Barry even to  begin to understand how freaking Impossible it would be for You do Your Job, if you had to endure the Incessant barrage of 💩 others hurl at you Every. Waking. Minute. Of Every. Freaking . Day? & No matter What he does, people not unlike yourself Bit@h about it!
It is nothing short of a miracle that he has done more for this country than any other President in My Lifetime, all the while having the Democrat Party spending Million$ upon Million$ Of Taxpayers hard earned dollars in a Partisan Witch Hunt which ended in his Acquittal. You people  Hate America & everything she Stands for. 

It literally makes me sick to see the things people are doing today. You, & They should be ashamed of yourselves ....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CarthDawg77 said:

Ok..... Trump changed me from thinking he was nothing but a shameless self-promoter; He still does that, but there is also the side of him that has totally convinced me that he cares more about this country than the Entire Democrat Clown Show.
You guys criticize everything he has done even before he was sworn into the Office of President of These United States of America!

Can you, Barry even to  begin to understand how freaking Impossible it would be for You do Your Job, if you had to endure the Incessant barrage of 💩 others hurl at you Every. Waking. Minute. Of Every. Freaking . Day? & No matter What he does, people not unlike yourself Bit@h about it!
It is nothing short of a miracle that he has done more for this country than any other President in My Lifetime, all the while having the Democrat Party spending Million$ upon Million$ Of Taxpayers hard earned dollars in a Partisan Witch Hunt which ended in his Acquittal. You people  Hate America & everything she Stands for. 

It literally makes me sick to see the things people are doing today. You, & They should be ashamed of yourselves ....

That wasn't responsive. That was another 'Trump has it so tough' rant. You can't tell something good? 

• Thumbs Down 1

Trump Prevented Foreclosure of Annabel Hill’s Family Farm in 1986

Truth. Annabel Hill’s husband, Lenard, apparently killed himself in 1986, twenty minutes before his family farm in Georgia was to be sold in a bank auction. He had hoped to use life insurance money to pay debts, which exceeded $300,000, but it only covered $175,000.

That’s reportedly when Atlanta businessman Frank Argenbright, Jr., who had helped another area farmer save his land, organized a news conference for Annabel Hill in Atlanta to plead for public help, and Donald Trump stepped in when he saw coverage of the press conference.

According to Trump: The Art of the Deal, Trump phoned a vice president of the bank the next morning and threatened to sue the bank for murder if they did not bring a halt to the auction. Then, after the public raised a portion of the debt, and Trump and Dallas landowner Tom McKamy split the remaining $78,000 tab, saving the farm, the Associated Press reports.

Trump Helped a Little Girl With Brittle Bone Disease in 2000.

Truth. After a little girl with brittle bone disease appeared on The Maury Povich Show in 2000, Trump appeared on a follow-up show to deliver a message to her:

I was watching Maury’s show the other day, and you hit me right here. I think you are so beautiful both inside and out. I have a little something, a little gift that I gave to Maury… and I hope that you and your mother have a good time with it. You are very special.

Povich then presented the little girl and her mother with a check from Trump and said, “We’re not talking about chump change here.”

Trump Hosted Jennifer Hudson in His Windy City Hotel After Her Family Was Murdered.

Truth. Accounts of Trump putting Jennifer Hudson up at Trump International Hotel & Tower in Chicago after her mother and brother were found murdered came fromAccess Hollywood:

Jennifer and some of her family members have been staying at the Trump International Hotel & Tower in Chicago – and Trump has been picking up the tab.

“They are safe,” Trump told People on Monday night. “She’s a great girl and we’re protecting them well.”

According to E! Online, Hudson has been staying at the hotel since arriving in Chicago on October 24 – the day her mother, Darnell Donerson, and brother, Jason Hudson, were found murdered, and her nephew, Julian King, was found missing.

Since checking into the hotel, the Oscar winner and former “American Idol” star has rarely left the hotel.

“She is still in shock,” a source told E!. “She hasn’t gone out much at all and has a lot of security around her.”

In 1991, 200 Marines who served in Operation Desert Storm spent time at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina before they were scheduled to return home to their families. However, the Marines were told that a mistake had been made and an aircraft would not be able to take them home on their scheduled departure date. When Trump got wind of this, he sent his plane to make two trips from North Carolina to Miami to safely return the Gulf War Marines to their loved ones.

In 1996, Trump filed a lawsuit against the city of Palm Beach, Florida accusing the town of discriminating against his Mar-a-Lago resort club because it allowed Jews and blacks. Abraham Foxman, who was the Anti-Defamation League Director at the time, said Trump “put the light on Palm Beach – not on the beauty and the glitter, but on its seamier side of discrimination.” Foxman also noted that Trump’s charge had a trickle-down effect because other clubs followed his lead and began admitting Jews and blacks.

In 2016, Melissa Consin Young attended a Trump rally and tearfully thanked Trump for changing her life. She said she proudly stood on stage with Trump as Miss Wisconsin USA in 2005. However, years later she found herself struggling with an incurable illness and during her darkest days she explained that she received a handwritten letter from Trump telling her she’s the “bravest woman, I know.” She said the opportunities that she got from Trump and his organizations ultimately provided her Mexican-American son with a full-ride to college.

14 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

HEROES

How is this a challenge?  This is daily activity on sdc.  

1 hour ago, BarryLaverty said:

NB made a good post, but nobody else can contribute one story where Trump was a good person? Just attacks, juvenile slurs of Biden? 

As I said before, we didn’t vote for him to be our preacher.  We voted him to be president.  As a liberal who prolly supports the separation of church and state, I feel like you could understand that.  But it appears you are a typical liberal and not very open minded.

its funny how liberals never see their own hypocrisy 

15 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

And, here I was going to offer you thanks and praise for elevating things for a minute, then you say a dumass thing like that. What a shame. 

You can’t, with a straight face, think this guy is not on a downward trajectory. Watch him talk in 2015 and now. Not even close to the same guy. 

3 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

NB made a good post, but nobody else can contribute one story where Trump was a good person? Just attacks, juvenile slurs of Biden? 

Hhhmmm...I must've missed something. Must've been while I was scrolling thru your LONG posts. 

You gave only ONE example for Uncle Creepy. A stuttering kid. In response, there have been multiple examples for President Trump. 

That all you got for Old Smeller? You don't seem to be holding up your end of the challenge, Sugar. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TTman7 said:

Hhhmmm...I must've missed something. Must've been while I was scrolling thru your LONG posts. 

You gave only ONE example for Uncle Creepy. A stuttering kid. In response, there have been multiple examples for President Trump. 

That all you got for Old Smeller? You don't seem to be holding up your end of the challenge, Sugar. 

www.politico.com/amp/news/magazine/2020/03/05/biden-2020-president-facts-what-you-should-know-campaign-121422