Extra Year Of Eligibility For Fall Athletes

Stoney

NCAA just came out with this ruling. There’s seniors who are now able to come back for another senior year. Would you redshirt a freshman or keep him active knowing you could still have him a extra year? How do Y’all see this playing out? Do you think more marginal NFL prospects will take advantage of it in hopes of improving their prospects? What impact on recruiting could this have? Will the transfer portal blow up even more with veteran players?

35 minutes ago, Stoney said:

NCAA just came out with this ruling. There’s seniors who are now able to come back for another senior year. Would you redshirt a freshman or keep him active knowing you could still have him a extra year? How do Y’all see this playing out? Do you think more marginal NFL prospects will take advantage of it in hopes of improving their prospects? What impact on recruiting could this have? Will the transfer portal blow up even more with veteran players?

There will still be an NFL draft that will require players. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stoney said:

Transfer portal.........definitely more

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stoney said:

I haven't read much on this. Are they raising the scholarship limit as well? 

29 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I haven't read much on this. Are they raising the scholarship limit as well? 

I think there’s an exemption for seniors who decide to come back for the ‘21 season and not count against the limit.

I'm glad they are doing it for the seniors and juniors that needed this year to play to increase draft or free agent stock. For all others it really doesn't matter much. I think the rule is three years removed from high school or something like that. That just means the incoming freshmen of the Big10 can leave for the draft after playing only two years - just like a redshirt sophomore declaring for the draft. What I don't really like is I think we are going to see more players opt out of a season to prepare for the draft. For the big-time players of college football training instead of playing won't have much impact on their draft status as long as they hit their marks at the combine. But I just don't like it. Kind of like "there's no I in team" I guess.

23 hours ago, Stoney said:

Maybe. Chaos. Yes. More chaos. Definitely. 

• Like 1