Argyle(1-0) @ Pleasant Grove(1-0)

regaleagle

Week 2  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• Argyle Eagles
    • Pleasant Grove Hawks

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/05/2020 at 12:30 AM

Big game coming up this Friday for both teams in Pleasant Grove's Stadium. Argyle defeated Decatur 56-9 and Pleasant Grove coasted to a 55-14 win over the Nashville Scrappers last week.  These two teams have met only once in football back in 2009 in a playoff game.......Pleasant Grove won that game 35-19.  Since that time, both programs have blossomed and matured from the bottom up.  Both teams are highly ranked in their respective 4A divisions........Argyle is ranked #3 in D-1 and Pleasant Grove is ranked #2 in D-2 in the preseason polls.  Both teams do well in the playoffs each season nowadays, but operate from completely different offensive schemes in the process.  Pleasant Grove prefers to pound the ball in the ground game and mix in the pass whereas Argyle executes it passing game by mixing in the run.  Should be a very interesting and fun game to watch.  Good athletes on both teams with D-1 offers on the table.

Wow!  After veiwing some of last year's game recaps and then the one last week......I just don't know how Argyle's D is gonna be able to defend against so many quality and speedy RB's.  Even the QB is a RB for the Hawks.  It's so early in the season that I seriously doubt the Argyle D will be ready for this kind of offensive scheme.  We did play La Vega early the past two seasons and managed, but the Hawks system is a little different than what LV runs.  Looks like it might turn into a race to see which team can score the most on the other's defense.

1 minute ago, regaleagle said:

Wow!  After veiwing some of last year's game recaps and then the one last week......I just don't know how Argyle's D is gonna be able to defend against so many quality and speedy RB's.  Even the QB is a RB for the Hawks.  It's so early in the season that I seriously doubt the Argyle D will be ready for this kind of offensive scheme.  We did play La Vega early the past two seasons and managed, but the Hawks system is a little different than what LV runs.  Looks like it might turn into a race to see which team can score the most on the other's defense.

This...PG is going to move the ball but I think there will be a surprise in how well Argyle will move the ball....I don't think there will be a lot of possessions between the two teams...going to be a great game...

The one bright spot for Argyle is that they can score in a matter of only a very few plays in a series.......but that also computes to their D going back onto the field again for even more minutes.......and it's very HOT this time of the year.  They will get winded for sure.......any team will against PG's offensive juggernaut. Quick to the line every single play and then the snap.....it won't take long for one of PG's backs to break a long one in this heat.

2 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Big game coming up this Friday for both teams in Pleasant Grove's Stadium. Argyle defeated Decatur 56-9 and Pleasant Grove coasted to a 55-14 win over the Nashville Scrappers last week.  These two teams have met only once in football back in 2009 in a playoff game.......Pleasant Grove won that game 35-19.  Since that time, both programs have blossomed and matured from the bottom up.  Both teams are highly ranked in their respective 4A divisions........Argyle is ranked #3 in D-1 and Pleasant Grove is ranked #2 in D-2 in the preseason polls.  Both teams do well in the playoffs each season nowadays, but operate from completely different offensive schemes in the process.  Pleasant Grove prefers to pound the ball in the ground game and mix in the pass whereas Argyle executes it passing game by mixing in the run.  Should be a very interesting and fun game to watch.  Good athletes on both teams with D-1 offers on the table.

Poll is up

Last week wasn't much of a test for either team's starters, but gave minutes to lots of players that are not the starters.  That was great for the coaching staffs, but not so good for the starters to gel together as a unit so early in the season without having several scrimmages on the docket this year.  Argyle did not have any scrimmages in full pads with another opponent this season.......they usually have two.

Nashville tried to throw a bunch against PG. The different looks never phased PG, bc the DL blew the Nashville off the ball every snap, and QB was immediately on the shuffle. Will not be the case next week. PG will get to the QB but not as often and will likely have to bring some pressure at times. We will get to see just how good the PG secondary is next week. Argyle has the numbers and it will be hot, the two way players from PG will have their hands full late in the game. PG needs to do PG things and eat clock. If they can get some 10-12 play drives and force a few 3 and outs to get that Argyle defense right back on the field, PG can win it late. High hopes, but Argyle is loaded too. 

1 hour ago, regaleagle said:

Wow!  After veiwing some of last year's game recaps and then the one last week......I just don't know how Argyle's D is gonna be able to defend against so many quality and speedy RB's.  Even the QB is a RB for the Hawks.  It's so early in the season that I seriously doubt the Argyle D will be ready for this kind of offensive scheme.  We did play La Vega early the past two seasons and managed, but the Hawks system is a little different than what LV runs.  Looks like it might turn into a race to see which team can score the most on the other's defense.

one 5  star back PG has no line speed at all nice QB not much of a strong arm watching them on your tube 

3 hours ago, BlackShirtD said:

I don’t see a big time playmaker on the O side of the Eagles.  PG D will be too much for them.   With that said the Argyle D will have a difficult time slowing down the PG O.  

PG 40

Argyle 21

You will if you watch this game on Friday.........#5 Cole Kirkpatrick,  #9 Tito Byce, and a new kid that was all-district at Tomball H.S last season #3 Cash Walker.  Then there are a stable of backs and receivers that are very effective in the Argyle system behind that O-line.  QB CJ Rogers is the new starter this season......he got some limited playing time last year at QB but played more as a receiver.  He can hurl it for sure........a very good basketball player.  He's 6-3/192  this season after putting on 12 lbs. in the off-season after basketball.  Still a work in progress, but has the tools you look for in the Argyle scheme.  Behind that quality O-line he will have the protection and time he needs to develop those skills as the season progresses.  Because he's a basketball player........he can be elusive and has some decent speed to escape if he needs to........unlike Hogeboom the past two seasons for Argyle.

11 hours ago, regaleagle said:

The one bright spot for Argyle is that they can score in a matter of only a very few plays in a series.......but that also computes to their D going back onto the field again for even more minutes.......and it's very HOT this time of the year.  They will get winded for sure.......any team will against PG's offensive juggernaut. Quick to the line every single play and then the snap.....it won't take long for one of PG's backs to break a long one in this heat.

The Texarkana weather Friday night may pleasantly surprise you, according to the latest Shreveport Office NWS forecast. 

Friday
A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 82.
Friday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 67.

13 minutes ago, 36gut said:

The Texarkana weather Friday night may pleasantly surprise you, according to the latest Shreveport Office NWS forecast. 

Friday
A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 82.
Friday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 67.

I wonder what that feels like???   It's been awhile, Huh?   Should make for an even more exciting game since the heat will not be such a detriment to the way the players are able to perform.   Unless it's pouring rain.......then there goes the passing attack for Argyle and half their offense with it.

Better for it to be too hot than too wet for Argyle.

11 hours ago, regaleagle said:

You will if you watch this game on Friday.........#5 Cole Kirkpatrick,  #9 Tito Byce, and a new kid that was all-district at Tomball H.S last season #3 Cash Walker.  Then there are a stable of backs and receivers that are very effective in the Argyle system behind that O-line.  QB CJ Rogers is the new starter this season......he got some limited playing time last year at QB but played more as a receiver.  He can hurl it for sure........a very good basketball player.  He's 6-3/192  this season after putting on 12 lbs. in the off-season after basketball.  Still a work in progress, but has the tools you look for in the Argyle scheme.  Behind that quality O-line he will have the protection and time he needs to develop those skills as the season progresses.  Because he's a basketball player........he can be elusive and has some decent speed to escape if he needs to........unlike Hogeboom the past two seasons for Argyle.

I know the Eagles have a good team, not questioning that.   My point is the last couple of PG losses have come at the hands of Carthage and Cuero (Dixon & Whittington).  Both at UT and basically had a field day against PG.   Don’t think Argyle has that type of player with the ball in his hands.   Will the Argyle O line be able to manage the Hawk front?  IN THE TRENCHES is where the game will be decided and that will be a tall task.

4 hours ago, BlackShirtD said:

I know the Eagles have a good team, not questioning that.   My point is the last couple of PG losses have come at the hands of Carthage and Cuero (Dixon & Whittington).  Both at UT and basically had a field day against PG.   Don’t think Argyle has that type of player with the ball in his hands.   Will the Argyle O line be able to manage the Hawk front?  IN THE TRENCHES is where the game will be decided and that will be a tall task.

Argyle o line is big and I think all but one return from last year. 
it should be a good battle in the front. 
I think both defenses will have their hands full. 
heck of a game early in the season. 

5 hours ago, BlackShirtD said:

Against a very top tier team like PG that has an excellent ground and pound game this early in the season........it could be very difficult for the Argyle defense.  Argyle was having trouble with teams like Abilene Wylie  in early season games years ago........they would typically have a power running game too.  Nowadays its been La Vega and now PG.  Paris has been tough wins for Argyle.......and even LE with their athletic teams and good RB's.  LE teams were good, but made too many mistakes.