Argyle(1-0) @ Pleasant Grove(1-0)

regaleagle

Week 2  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• Argyle Eagles
    • Pleasant Grove Hawks

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/05/2020 at 12:30 AM

3 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Given that the trench warfare will be a game within the game, I'ma thinkin' this game will hinge on how much Tito Byce plays and how well CJ Rogers is able to perform from the shotgun.  Argyle has the weapons if CJ can get his gun loaded and on target on time.  The Argyle defense will play "bend but don't break" and are better inside the 20.  This is what I have been able to conclude so far this season.......since most of the team has returned from last season anyway.  The defense has a mix of underclassman, but with some experience.  They are not big upfront, but have some speed.  I would call the D-line smaller than big, but highly capable.  The linebackers all have one season under their belts now, but still need to see more action this season to improve.......it's still too early for them to all of a sudden be good.  The secondary is a surprise.......maybe better than I thought at this early stage.

Senior Davis Elsey is the only LB currently playing with any significant experience. Senior starting LB Reid Adkins is out for PG and Celina while another primary senior LB Cullen Davee is done for the season due to a concussion. Grant Mirabal is a sophomore LB with good size but not much experience at the varsity level other than a few series in the playoffs last year. He will be very good though as he matures. Stopping PG’s run game will be difficult for Argyle as would be expected. 
Another big loss was that of senior starting guard Caden Reeves (ACL tear). He was a huge cog in the wheel for interior running success. He could also pull surprisingly quick for a kid his size (6’4”+ and over 300#). Now both guards are new and learning due to graduation and Reeves injury. Argyle typically likes to keep their running game between the tackles so it should be interesting to watch the new guys although I did see Baker hit a designed outside running play against Decatur which was nice to see for a change. I imagine running opposite direction of PG’s Jackson will be on the menu for sure. 

13 minutes ago, tartar said:

Senior Davis Elsey is the only LB currently playing with any significant experience. Senior starting LB Reid Adkins is out for PG and Celina while another primary senior LB Cullen Davee is done for the season due to a concussion. Grant Mirabal is a sophomore LB with good size but not much experience at the varsity level other than a few series in the playoffs last year. He will be very good though as he matures. Stopping PG’s run game will be difficult for Argyle as would be expected. 
Another big loss was that of senior starting guard Caden Reeves (ACL tear). He was a huge cog in the wheel for interior running success. He could also pull surprisingly quick for a kid his size (6’4”+ and over 300#). Now both guards are new and learning due to graduation and Reeves injury. Argyle typically likes to keep their running game between the tackles so it should be interesting to watch the new guys although I did see Baker hit a designed outside running play against Decatur which was nice to see for a change. I imagine running opposite direction of PG’s Jackson will be on the menu for sure. 

And what do you get on the other side?

https://247sports.com/Player/Torey-Phillips-46049844/

3 hours ago, PantherNation2015 said:

And what do you get on the other side?

https://247sports.com/Player/Torey-Phillips-46049844/

I wasn't aware of the season-ending injury to Reeves, but Nick Rubien at 6-4/270 is a junior now and should be able to handle that spot fairly well.  Sorry to hear about the Reeves kid......I know his parents and know that he put in tons of work to be stellar at his position this year.  I think he even has several offers to play at the next level.  Hopefully, he will be able to recover from this injury and still play at the next level next season.   He's a big guy, for sure.   And Davee gone for the season.......that's certainly a big loss.  He's been on varsity playing a tough role for 2 yrs. to finally get to his senior season........I really feel for him and his parents also.  Those are just 2 enormous hits on the team of 2 really good players Argyle has already lost for the entire season.....Wow!  

11 hours ago, Hawk20 said:

Argyle will have the strong advantage simply because of depth.  PG only has half as many guys on their roster as Argyle does.  I think both sets of starters match up well but PG has way more guys going both ways than ever before.  That will be a huge factor if the end of the game is close. 

I call "sandbagging" on this one. Only 11 can play on each side. Plus, it is supposed to be relatively cool by Friday night.

Any advantage Argyle has from depth is offset by PG's home field advantage. 

MaxPreps' power rating of PG (highest in all of 4A and 12th highest in the state) is five points above Carthage's and 11 points above Argyle's (if it's any consolation, the Eagles do have the highest rating in Division I, two points above Lampasas).

PG is the clear favorite. An upset would be rather shocking, I would say. In fact, in any game they play other than the Carthage one, that would be true.

31 minutes ago, 36gut said:

I call "sandbagging" on this one. Only 11 can play on each side. Plus, it is supposed to be relatively cool by Friday night.

MaxPreps' power rating of PG (highest in all of 4A and 12th highest in the state) is five points above Carthage's and 11 points above Argyle's (if it's any consolation, the Eagles do have the highest rating in Division I, two points above Lampasas).

PG is the clear favorite. An upset would be rather shocking, I would say. In fact, in any game they play other than the Carthage one, that would be true.

IF Argyle were to win, it will be because of the offense for sure.  They would have to perform at a very high level for so early in the season.  It will all depend on how much Byce plays and how well CJ plays under pressure.  He has the tools, but is he ready for this kind of game yet?  He will need some help from that O-line.  I just don't see the Argyle D rising up to the task to protect a lead in this game if it's very close.

12 minutes ago, 36gut said:

Just curious, how many kids from Argyle play both ways?

At this early juncture........only #87 Jasper Lott that I'm aware of.  Usually Argyle has enough quality players from the program to field separate teams for offense, defense, and specialty teams.  That way they can play alot of different players at different age classes to help with continuity and give meaningful minutes to younger players......and to the seniors that are not starters.

If a younger player earns a starting role, then some other player will take the spot he would have had on a specialty team.  With 70+ players on varsity,  obviously not everyone can have a starting role on any of the different teams.......some will be waiting for their opportunity to play whenever the score allows it.

That’s what I thought. I do not think it’s “sandbagging,” it’s week 2 and PG has numerous players taking significant snaps on both sides of the ball. No scrimmages, literally second game of action for the big boys playing both sides of the ball. Depth will matter in this game. Not saying PG shouldn’t win, but having that kind of depth is a big plus.

I cannot remember if Argyle has EVER experienced season-ending injuries to 2 key starters on their team to start the season like this season.  Yes......they do have some quality depth to fill those spots........but not with the same quality as the players that are now gone for the season.  Both were very key starters.......our biggest lineman on offense with a few next level offers already, and a linebacker that has played varsity for 2 yrs already.....both are seniors and leaders on the team.

28 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

I cannot remember if Argyle has EVER experienced season-ending injuries to 2 key starters on their team to start the season like this season.  Yes......they do have some quality depth to fill those spots........but not with the same quality as the players that are now gone for the season.  Both were very key starters.......our biggest lineman on offense with a few next level offers already, and a linebacker that has played varsity for 2 yrs already.....both are seniors and leaders on the team.

And that don't even count another Sr. Linebacker Adkins out for this week and next week.  The sky is falling......the sky is falling.........LOL. But no one in Argyle is laughing.......only hoping for the best.

I guess IF there is a bright side to these injuries for Argyle(but not for the players or the team) it's that there will be two starting OL that are only juniors this season and will be back for next season........the same for the LB position.  Perhaps the loss is not a total loss except for those players that are now gone for the season.

On 8/29/2020 at 10:17 PM, Aledo said:

Excited about another top tier match up early in the season! As soon as I figure out how to watch it I will be locked in. 

Texarkana GameDay will be broadcasting this game online.  You can either Google them or find the on FB.

4 hours ago, wtxfootball said:

Gonna go with Argyle since it’s early in the year. They always seem to play their best ball weeks 1-4. 

That's not really true........normally early in the season we have all hands on deck,  but looks like this year that will not be the case.  When injuries mount to key players and starters during the season.......or by the time the playoffs get here, then it becomes more difficult to win games against top tier teams when you are missing a qb or running back.  Or else you just ran into some other situation and lost.  Argyle has lost only one game per season for each of the past 5 years........they don't necessarily get worse, LOL.  You guys make me laugh with your slanted reasoning.......it just doesn't hold water.  Things happen in football.......in college and the pros too......you should already know that.  There's lots of variables that can come into play to keep a good team from going all the way.......sheesh!!           133-13 in the last 10 seasons.......you do the math.......against the best in the classification,  and some above the classification.

What a marquee matchup. This one could go either way. Argyle has a fantastic team, there's no doubt about it. And we all know how good PG is this season, and what their expectations are.  Rogers looks good at QB, and the Eagles have no shortage of weapons, with Kirkpatrick, the new kid Cash Walker, Lott and Bice. An embarrassment of riches, to be honest. The problem, as others have said, will be getting Rogers time to throw. That PG front seven is something else, man. If they are getting to Rogers often, can Argyle find a way to neutralize the onslaught with the run game, or with some quick hits to Kirkpatrick and Walker? Walker, in particular, is a strong, well-built kid who might be hard to bring down in a 1-on-1 scenario in space. He played at Tomball last year under OC Nick Codutti, who I'm friends with from his years coaching up here in the Springfield, MO area in the 2011-16 era.

I think Argyle has the tools to loosen the grip of PG's front seven a little bit, which might open some small lanes for Bice to break through. If he does get into the second level, he has breakaway speed.

But all that said, I don't know if Argyle's defense will be able to standup to the stable of horses PG will be running out of the backfield. So many guys who can cycle in and beat you on one play. Or they can grind you to death. I think that will be the difference maker, to be honest. At this juncture in the season, I trust PG's defense a little bit more, and I don't know if Argyle is quite ready for the Hawks' offensive attack. I think it will be a close game, and could become a shootout. But in the end, PG sneaks one out.

Regardless, though, both these teams will remain in the championship conversation for the remainder of the season, and they should. Someone has to lose this game, but both the Eagles and the Hawks are in the upper echelon of 4A teams.

• Like 2

I hope things don't happen where this game gets away from Argyle like that regional game last season did against LV in McLane Stadium.   Hopefully they learned a little bit and will not play so conservative when they went down by 14 early.  They stuck too long to the run against a great run defense and did not go to their strength in the passing game until it was too late.  By that time the LV defense was playing back and bullrushing our QB.......playing the pass 70%.   Argyle was down 21 and lost contact against a very good defensive team that also had a very explosive offense.  Of course Byce was missing and they should have thrown it alot more earlier.......they connected with Kirkpatrick on a long 75 yarder for a score.  But then they went right back to the run game again and next thing ya know LV gets a stop and then drives and scores another TD.  Gotta play some sound football and play your best hand against the top tier teams, for sure........conservative ain't gonna do nothing for ya.  Gotta loosen up their D and use the talent you have.