Argyle(1-0) @ Pleasant Grove(1-0)

regaleagle

Week 2  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• Argyle Eagles
    • Pleasant Grove Hawks

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/05/2020 at 12:30 AM

I really haven't figured out  Argyle's varsity roster yet.  Before the season started they had at least 150 players listed, then last week trimmed it down to 78.  Now this week its back up to 87........on varsity!  But some of the names don't have positions or classifications or height and weight beside them........so I don't know about these guys.  Lots of sophomores on varsity.......quite a few playing too.  Three senior starters out with injury that I'm aware of.......2 out for the season.  

I know all the names from last year's team........even the ones that came up during the season and in the playoffs.  But there's a whole bunch of names I didn't know until this season.........and some I still don't know at all.  I went to almost every game last season.......I might have missed a couple early season that were away(Anna &  LE in Commerce, I believe).  

I'm gonna be paying attention to all the Argyle players getting playing time on offense and defense tonight.  I've got a feeling the coaches are still working a few spots with some of the players.......to figure out what kind of talent they might have and who to play when and where. There is no doubt about all the young talent......some of those younger guys also have some good size and skill sets.  I don't think the team is together yet as a total group of units.......it's still a work in progress and usually is even when district play gets here.  You have injuries and younger players that begin to grasp the speed and athleticism required to play at the varsity level.......so the coaches give them opportunities to play whenever they feel the time is right and the player is ready.

Can’t wait for this matchup tonight. Lots of questions on PG side of ball. The freshman RB put up huge numbers last week. I want to see how he responds tonight against a quality defense with size and speed. Can the QB throw it and be efficient? 2/6 with a TD last week. Never made a bad decision, but he will have to throw it more tonight. Like every year, I question how good is the PG secondary? I don’t see a ton of speed back there, but could be wrong. Last week wasn’t a great look. Although Nashville tried to throw it often, the DL blew the OL off the ball each snap and QB was throwing under heavy pressure each play. Lastly, I want to know if our DL can recreate that kind of havoc against a quality OL tonight. Gonna be a fun one! 

1 hour ago, regaleagle said:

In fact......I'm might be gettin' a little low on material now.......sheesh!  Some other interjections would certainly be welcomed!!

I have been out of service, so I’ll jump back in. Of course I am picking the Hawks, but HawNation can’t be overconfident in this one. Reminds me of last year when Carthage came to town. We are All That, but so are Juggernauts like the Bulldogs and Eagles. 
Still, the Hawks are known for taking down big dogs, November 27,2009 PG won over Argyle 35-19. So, anything is possible. 
but, regardless, it will be a game for the books! 
i will be watching out of country, but there in Spirit. 

1 hour ago, regaleagle said:

In fact......I'm might be gettin' a little low on material now.......sheesh!  Some other interjections would certainly be welcomed!!

I'll say this we are of the same opinion on GAME DAY! The weather is nice coffee is great and preparing to go get some food for the grill. Having some friends over for the game tonight. I really would love to discuss match ups with you but all I know about Argyle is they are historically good. I think the game will come down to who makes the least mistakes on the field. If PG plays mistake free they should be hard to beat. For me, this game is a measuring stick game very similar to Carthage games. Please lord no injuries for either team. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hawknation03 said:

Oh and yes I know Arkansas Football is not Texas Football.

3 minutes ago, Hawknation03 said:

Nashville is known for football they have the titles to support it. They were ranked #2 in the state of Arkansas. 

Do you know what size they would be for Texas? Just curious. Out of state teams are always a mystery. I have no doubt that both teams stand a chance to win this one. 

3 minutes ago, mrclean69 said:

LSNot sure about Nashville, but  Decatur is usually a deep playoff team. Scary that Argyle handled them so easy. Tough choice, but Argyle in a close one. 

Just to let you know.......Decatur's starting Sr. QB Landon Howell(6-3/190) was injured in practice before the Celina scrimmage from what I understand.  He backed up last season's QB Roman Fuller(6-4/185), a Tulsa commit.  Howell got some minutes in the backup role last season and looked very good.......a dual threat QB that also is the starter on Decatur's very good basketball team.  I think Howell will be back from the injury, but Decatur played a pretty good soph. Escobar that had good skills.  He was (5-11/170) and not ready for a match like Argyle so early in the season.  At least that explains their lack of production like normal in the passing game and putting up lots of points. But honestly.......their lines were no match for Argyle's anyway.......much less our personnel at most positions.

3 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

Regal, you are awesome. And one day I hope we can do a meet-and-greet at a Celina vs. Argyle matchup.

Yeah......I'm all for that d0tc0m.  I know you are living in Missouri now and don't get down this way very often, but at least you are a well-informed Texas High School football fan.  And a superlative poster as well.  Maybe next season will be a good time......it may be the last before Argyle jumps up to 5A-D2.  But that may not matter between our schools in football anyway.......gotta keep that rivalry going.  Celina is busting wide open too out their way.

The thing that stood out to me about Decatur and Argyle, though, was the inexplicable coverages Decatur was running on defense. I know they were concerned about Kirkpatrick and Walker burning them deep, but their defense was playing such loose coverage that it made for an easy, easy night for Rogers and that Argyle offense. Pleasant Grove will not play that same style. They've got the guys to play 1-on-1 and be very, very physical both up front and in the secondary.

But Argyle has the weapons to beat that coverage with consistency, if, as has been said many times, the line can buy Rogers time. Argyle runs the kind of offense that I believe can give PG plenty of fits. They can make big plays happen quick enough to neutralize (relatively) Jackson and Phillips. It helps that Rogers is fairly tall, because he's going to have to get the ball over some crazy height against that Hawks front. I could see Argyle having some success with Rogers on the QB draw, or Byce on a delayed handoff/draw. Byce for sure has the speed and size/strength to break a long one if he gets past that defensive line.

I keep going back-and-forth on this one. I picked PG earlier. But man, I just don't know. Just hope both teams stay healthy, because this should be a highly-entertaining matchup.

2 hours ago, Hawknation03 said:

I'll say this we are of the same opinion on GAME DAY! The weather is nice coffee is great and preparing to go get some food for the grill. Having some friends over for the game tonight. I really would love to discuss match ups with you but all I know about Argyle is they are historically good. I think the game will come down to who makes the least mistakes on the field. If PG plays mistake free they should be hard to beat. For me, this game is a measuring stick game very similar to Carthage games. Please lord no injuries for either team. 

I'm with you Hawknation........but it might be more accurate and productive to discuss those matchups and plays this weekend after we watch this game between these two teams.  With no scrimmages this season and only one game that was not close.......there's really nothing to talk about until we see the real deal.

3 hours ago, futfan said:

I have been out of service, so I’ll jump back in. Of course I am picking the Hawks, but HawNation can’t be overconfident in this one. Reminds me of last year when Carthage came to town. We are All That, but so are Juggernauts like the Bulldogs and Eagles. 
Still, the Hawks are known for taking down big dogs, November 27,2009 PG won over Argyle 35-19. So, anything is possible. 
but, regardless, it will be a game for the books! 
i will be watching out of country, but there in Spirit. 

I was at that PG- Argyle 3rd round playoff game in Royse City in 09. Those teams were evenly matched but PG seem to have much more speed and played very physical. I told my buddy at the game with me that PG was a sleeping giant and could not understand why they were not elite back then...now fast forward to today.

53 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Wayyyyyyy too much coffee.

It ain't the amount.......it's the caffeine.  My wife always said......."Don't give him anything w/ caffeine........he don't need it!"   I usually drink decaf coffee......but that Internat'l stuff has caffeine.

3 hours ago, mrclean69 said:

Do you know what size they would be for Texas? Just curious. Out of state teams are always a mystery. I have no doubt that both teams stand a chance to win this one. 

AR only counts grades 9 through 11. They should be in the 550 range for all 4 grades which would make them 4A D2 in Texas.

• Like 1