Argyle(1-0) @ Pleasant Grove(1-0)

regaleagle

Week 2  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• Argyle Eagles
    • Pleasant Grove Hawks

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/05/2020 at 12:30 AM

Nice win for Argyle! Had this one playing on my phone while watching Celina on the TV. The Eagles are for real. I was impressed with how well their o-line played, as well as the defense.

Next week could get ugly, unless the Bobcats figure some things out on offense. As of right now, Eagles could name their score.

And PG is gonna be just fine. They’ll still be in the Region II finals, without a doubt. But you’ve got to think Gilmer was watching this one and is licking their chops a bit.

of course, lots of football to play before that week 10 matchup, and even more before that Region finals rematch.

I think what we saw tonight was two quality football teams that had their early season weaknesses exposed by the other team.......mainly the Covid deal didn't give either team their normal preparation time for the season.  Maybe all teams will be a little behind things right now.......I just hope we can keep playing every week.

• Like 1

Evidently those weird feelings I had about Tito Byce must be somewhat true.  We've only seen him play one play in two games so far.  I have no inside information on him......I'm just conjecturing the possibilities.  Maybe he's OK but the coaching staff doesn't see any reason to let him play yet.  Maybe he needs more  time according to the doctors???  I don't know how long those ACL injuries take.......I guess they are all different and it depends on lots of things.

52 minutes ago, HATEIT4U said:

Does pg have a defense? Argyle looks like they could score a 100 with there 2nd team offense.

Really shocked that Argyle scored at will on the PG defense that has the 3 bigs.    I thought the D would hold down the score but didn’t happen tonight.   

40 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

And PG is gonna be just fine. They’ll still be in the Region II finals, without a doubt. But you’ve got to think Gilmer was watching this one and is licking their chops a bit.

Gilmer barely beat Henderson so they better not get too ahead of themselves. But they could definitely upset PG in a few weeks if they clean up their mistakes from tonight 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BlackShirtD said:

Really shocked that Argyle scored at will on the PG defense that has the 3 bigs.    I thought the D would hold down the score but didn’t happen tonight.   

Argyle has overall better athletes top to bottom. Even if Burris was healthy and played, PG is not beating this Argyle team. The big 3 are great athletes but people tend to forget that PG lost several quality athletes to graduation. This PG team will be fine and should make another deep run in the playoffs.

14 minutes ago, dillonpanthers said:

Gilmer barely beat Henderson so they better not get too ahead of themselves. But they could definitely upset PG in a few weeks if they clean up their mistakes from tonight 

Really surprised about this game considering Henderson is supposed to be really down this year. PG won’t see anyone in district like Argyle.

Just now, swaha said:

Really surprised about this game considering Henderson is supposed to be really down this year. PG won’t see anyone in district like Argyle.

Agree. Pitt and SH got killed tonight.  Don't see anyone challenging PG unless it's Gilmer. Read Gilmer had the ball 3 times inside the 20 and didn't score 

21 minutes ago, swaha said:

Argyle has overall better athletes top to bottom. Even if Burris was healthy and played, PG is not beating this Argyle team. The big 3 are great athletes but people tend to forget that PG lost several quality athletes to graduation. This PG team will be fine and should make another deep run in the playoffs.

Agreed

1 hour ago, dillonpanthers said:

Agree. Pitt and SH got killed tonight.  Don't see anyone challenging PG unless it's Gilmer. Read Gilmer had the ball 3 times inside the 20 and didn't score 

Let’s not forget Gilmer is still without 4 starters but we are up for the task but until PG is knocked off they still is the team to beat 

From what I saw of Argyle's D for the 2nd week in a row........they need tons of work.  La Vega RB's will make mincemeat out of the Argyle D as things stand at this moment.  The only hope for Argyle against LV is that offense.  The Argyle coaches better go to work and figure out who to play and where to play them quickly.  They have a whole bench of pretty decent athletes to choose from........but which players should be the starters is the question they will have to solve.  There may be as many as 4 spots or maybe even 5 that are in question as to whether they have the best player out there.......IMHO.  My gut feeling is the entire unit needs to work together more.....esp. the linebackers and secondary guys.  The front looks to be capable and should improve........not a big deal yet.  But when you have Jasper Lott rotating in and out with so many other players to choose from........that says something right there.  From what I can tell........and I'm not in on the daily action like the coaches are........it looks to me like the linebackers need the most work.  The secondary will most probably have some players changing out most of the season........there are some talented younger guys that need some seasoning, but have the skill sets to be good in the future.  Then there are some seniors this season that will be depended upon to handle their areas because they have experience from last season........it's a quandry.

Quandry.........a state of perplexity or uncertainty over what to do in a difficult situation.

On 9/3/2020 at 4:10 PM, Hawknation03 said:

Gimme them Hawks by 2 TDS. That conveyor belt of running backs was impressive and I know that Argyle will make that their primary concern. That's when Woody will unveil the passing attack.   

Well that’s pretty much how the game went except The Groves passing attack was was not as good as I thought it would be.

it was there, just Not polished yet. I think the grove will get that cleaned up. On the other side of the ball, now that’s a different story. PG secondary was not on it last night. The tackling was really surprisingly bad. 87 was a matchup nightmare for the Hawks. The 10 yrd cushion Tha the Db’s we’re giving receivers made sense after seeing the difference in speed on the outside. 
Argyle is really good. They beat PG up front like I have not seen in a while and outside of His one reception for a TD, Landon Jackson was not a factor on D. 
like I said this was a great measuring stick for the Hawks. They will work really hard to improve and will still be a top contender for the 4A D2 title. 

To Landon Jackson’s credit — and Phillips — they were going against what is probably the top offensive line in all of 4A. Rogers also has an ability to elude pressure better than Hogenboom, so that helps. If Argyle continues to progress and doesn’t level out, this might be their year, especially if Byce gets to come back and is healthy. Just too many offensive weapons for most 4A schools to deal with.

But PG is gonna be just fine. In D-II, it still appears only Carthage has the pieces to run with the Hawks. A few others may challenge, but there’s a wide gap that has to be closed for that to happen, from what I’ve seen.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, swaha said:

Exactly, I do think with Burris playing it would have had an impact but not enough to change the outcome. Argyle is the better team right now. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

To Landon Jackson’s credit — and Phillips — they were going against what is probably the top offensive line in all of 4A. Rogers also has an ability to elude pressure better than Hogenboom, so that helps. If Argyle continues to progress and doesn’t level out, this might be their year, especially if Byce gets to come back and is healthy. Just too many offensive weapons for most 4A schools to deal with.

But PG is gonna be just fine. In D-II, it still appears in Carthage has the pieces to run with the Hawks. A few others may challenge, but there’s a wide gap that has to be closed for that to happen, from what I’ve seen.

Agree