Argyle(1-0) @ Pleasant Grove(1-0)

regaleagle

Week 2  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• Argyle Eagles
    • Pleasant Grove Hawks

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/05/2020 at 12:30 AM

10 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Argyle has La Vega in Week 4.........the Argyle D is NOT gonna be ready for even Celina next week.  The offense will have to carry this team for those 2 games.

Regal, I did not get to watch the game last night.

What was PG’s offense doing last night? If your defense is not ready for Celina yet they handled PG’s offense it sounds like PG losing its QB has really had a huge negative effect on the execution on offense for the Hawks. I was suspecting that’d be the case for PG early this season.

Argyle is always dominant early and my dumb butt picked PG to win. I based that on PG playing at home and hearing the new QB was super talented and their DL still being so good.

I was wrong!

8 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

What was PG’s offense doing last night? If your defense is not ready for Celina yet they handled PG’s offense it sounds like PG losing its QB has really had a huge negative effect on the execution on offense for the Hawks. I was suspecting that’d be the case for PG early this season.

Argyle is always dominant early and my dumb butt picked PG to win. I based that on PG playing at home and hearing the new QB was super talented and their DL still being so good.

I was wrong!

If Celina’s offense doesn’t improve mightily by next Friday, Argyle’s defense will look like the ‘85 Bears.

6 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I was wrong!

The Argyle OL dominated in the trenches, PG had too many going both ways and was gassed in Q2, the Argyle Passing attack diced up the PG secondary all night, PG offense had some success on the ground but the passing game still needs some work.  PG QB needs to mature and will with experience.  That pretty much sums it up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, d0tc0m said:

To Landon Jackson’s credit — and Phillips — they were going against what is probably the top offensive line in all of 4A. Rogers also has an ability to elude pressure better than Hogenboom, so that helps. If Argyle continues to progress and doesn’t level out, this might be their year, especially if Byce gets to come back and is healthy. Just too many offensive weapons for most 4A schools to deal with.

But PG is gonna be just fine. In D-II, it still appears only Carthage has the pieces to run with the Hawks. A few others may challenge, but there’s a wide gap that has to be closed for that to happen, from what I’ve seen.

You might want to hold off on the best O line in 4A until you see Carthage.

Average over 300 pounds again.

Just now, cowboyandchrist said:

Weight ain't everything for O-lines when the size difference and height is close.  Strength, technique, power, and quickness are all very important.  I'm not saying that Argyle's O-line is better than what Carthage has fielded this season.......but I'm not saying their not, either.  I'm sure that Carthage has  a very well-coached quality O-line again.......too bad Argyle and Carthage haven't been able to play.......except for 2 times in the playoffs years ago. I must admit that after only two games I'm even very impressed by this season's Argyle Eagles O-line.......and I've seen them all.  I will agree with d0tcom that this may be the best O-line that Argyle has ever fielded as a unit.  Even with Reeves gone for the season......there is depth and next man up looks like he belongs.

Regaleage,

Your boys Oline did one heck of a job against the Hawks front seven.

PG had no one in the secondary that could run with Argyles receivers.

I think your a little to hard on the Argyle D, they got several stops behind the line of scrimmage and gave the ball back to the offense.

PG could not pass on Argyle and they loaded up to stop the run.

I have not seen LV play but it seems Argyle has skilled  players in all positions.

It will be fun keeping up with your Eagles this year.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I was wrong!

You can watch the video of this game right here on this thread......it's on page 6 if you just click it......the entire game.  You will see all the holes in the Argyle defense and agree with me that LV will have a field day with those quick speedsters and slashers they have at RB......and their QB Rauls too.  So will Paris with Jackson and Washington if Argyle doesn't get those guys working as a unit better together very soon.   Argyle has the players to do it.......looks like it will take a little bit of tweaking and time though.......and lots of hard work.

5 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

I don’t doubt that they’re good. I don’t doubt that they’re great.

Kilgore is definitely a top 10 4A DI team with a darn good defense, they can tackle.

They have a QB that can run and throw but the Dawg D was super fast to the football.

I was totally shocked at how good the D was considering they only had three starters coming back.

First game with no scrimmages, very impressed.

The D line is big and fast off the snap of the ball and the linebackers were outstanding.

The secondary can run and hit. 

• Like 1

I guess overall it's still a little bit earlier in the season than normal, Huh?   Argyle did do many good things last night even though they also have so many areas that can be improved upon.  You could see all their potential too.......like Coach Rodgers was saying in the pregame interviews......he didn't use those words exactly, but I know the man and know what he was really saying.......he's IN LOVE with his team this season.

47 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Kilgore is definitely a top 10 4A DI team with a darn good defense, they can tackle.

They have a QB that can run and throw but the Dawg D was super fast to the football.

I was totally shocked at how good the D was considering they only had three starters coming back.

First game with no scrimmages, very impressed.

The D line is big and fast off the snap of the ball and the linebackers were outstanding.

The secondary can run and hit. 

Kilgore could very possibly prove to be a very quality team this season.....esp. if their defense is that far along already.  We will have to keep a close watch on those Bulldogs over there come playoff time.  LV and Argyle and Melissa and Paris......Stephenville, Brownwood, and Kennedale all in Region 2.  Kilgore in Region 3 in D-1......definite possibility.....that region is wide-open.  I left off Midlothian Heritage in Region 2.......I think they have to be included in the mix as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PantherNation2015 said:

The Argyle OL dominated in the trenches, PG had too many going both ways and was gassed in Q2, the Argyle Passing attack diced up the PG secondary all night, PG offense had some success on the ground but the passing game still needs some work.  PG QB needs to mature and will with experience.  That pretty much sums it up.

Thanks! Maybe this season Argyle will make it all the way. We’ll see.

2 hours ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Regaleage,

Your boys Oline did one heck of a job against the Hawks front seven.

PG had no one in the secondary that could run with Argyles receivers.

I think your a little to hard on the Argyle D, they got several stops behind the line of scrimmage and gave the ball back to the offense.

PG could not pass on Argyle and they loaded up to stop the run.

I have not seen LV play but it seems Argyle has skilled  players in all positions.

It will be fun keeping up with your Eagles this year.  

Agree 100%.

4 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Thanks! Maybe this season Argyle will make it all the way. We’ll see.

The Argyle OL is solid.  Jackson from PG looked out of shape to me and the Eagles neutralized him most of the night.  But he did play a lot of snaps both ways for an early Sept game.  If they stay healthy Argyle will be tough to beat this year.

One more comment.........gotta give Jasper Lott and CJ Rogers some accolades in last night's game.  Both players rose to the occasion moreso than was probably expected.  I don't think we have seen but a glimpse of the untapped potential both of these players are capable of.  I believe Jasper will prove himself to be a serious asset at the next level when he moves into that realm of football, training, and maturity.   The upside for CJ Rogers as a top QB this season in 4A remains to be seen.......but I'm sure the coaches can see all of his potential.  He's basically an untapped well of physical and athletic capabilities still learning this position.  He didn't even play football from the 8th grade until last season because he wanted to concentrate on basketball.  That's 3 critical years he lost to his peers in this sport.......but he has enough athleticism and natural talent that it's not too late for him to catch up with his peers at this position this year.  He played some last season as the backup.......and got the instruction and reps he needed in practice to kind of catch up.  But his minutes in gametime situations were limited........he played more minutes last season as a receiver.  So Kudos to both of these athletes.  It will be fun to watch their progress in this their senior season.

17 minutes ago, powerlifter said:

watch out for the tigers from Silsbee Houston Post had a  good write up about them saying five kids on the OL are over 300 pounds and five on there DL over 300  none of them play both ways dont overlook there kids 

It is nice having that kind of size. I will add that you better have good feet and technique. That is why Argyle’s OL neutralized the PG DL line.

• Thanks 1

The three bigs up front don't cover receivers.  The only linebacker that showed up was Martin.  The corners and safeties must improve or it will be the same old song each week.  The PG offensive scheme has to evolve and become more diversified because the better teams have better defenses.  PG just cannot continue running out one receiver and hope that the defense is caught by surprise.  Hope that the PG qb did not break his left wrist.  

On 9/5/2020 at 9:44 AM, cowboyandchrist said:

I picked argyle to win it all bc of thag oline. They may have the best oline unit in all of 4A. When I saw them play stephenville last year, I knew then they were a yr away from possibly winning it all 

On 9/5/2020 at 10:00 AM, cotton84 said:

According to the man, 325,325,325,260 and 200 averages 287. 

Carthage is a different animal than PG.  They dropped down to 4A D2 so their numbers are better than those of PG and closer to Argyle.  Carthage is able to not have to have players go both ways.  IMHO, Argyle would have their hands more than full with  Carthage.  Carthage made La Vega look average in the championship last season.  No contest...

There is no one doubting that PG will have some serious improvement to do this year in order to win another SC title in Division 2 with Carthage being in the mix now.  Fortunately everybody starts all over each season as some of the players graduate and others move up.......so the dynamics are always changing to some degree. I agree that the enrollment and participation rate in football for Carthage will be a huge advantage for them in Division 2........but that's what always happens when teams drop down in the realignments.  Carthage may be looking squarely into two more years of State Championship titles in football, folks.......on the heels of Aledo.  I think Aledo has 8 titles in the last 11 yrs........just remarkable considering what Carthage has done is remarkable enough!!!  And neither team is done yet!!  

8 hours ago, SiriusDogon7 said:

The three bigs up front don't cover receivers.  The only linebacker that showed up was Martin.  The corners and safeties must improve or it will be the same old song each week.  The PG offensive scheme has to evolve and become more diversified because the better teams have better defenses.  PG just cannot continue running out one receiver and hope that the defense is caught by surprise.  Hope that the PG qb did not break his left wrist.  

That's an interesting take when you consider that Nick was 3rd in tackles for that game and he is 2nd in tackles for the season.  Gage Stivers who is a LB was 1st for that game and is 1st for the season. (NO, I am not his dad or related in any way)  Don't misunderstand, Nick is absolutely a beast and probably the best player on the team....but he wasn't the only one who showed up. That's over stated.

DBs were in the right place pretty often but didn't make the plays.  Couple of times they just need to get their heads turned and look for the ball.  Receivers made exceptional plays tho and can't take that away form them.  They were legit for sure.

QB "splintered" his non-throwing wrist.  Not sure what splintered means versus being fractured or broken

16 hours ago, SiriusDogon7 said:

Carthage is a different animal than PG.  They dropped down to 4A D2 so their numbers are better than those of PG and closer to Argyle.  Carthage is able to not have to have players go both ways.  IMHO, Argyle would have their hands more than full with  Carthage.  Carthage made La Vega look average in the championship last season.  No contest...

Last October enrollment........Argyle 1051..........Carthage 824........P G 724......... yeah Carthage is way closer to Argyle