Argyle(1-0) @ Pleasant Grove(1-0)

regaleagle

Week 2  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• Argyle Eagles
    • Pleasant Grove Hawks

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/05/2020 at 12:30 AM

I think Argyle's big TE Jasper Lott(6-7/255)is taken away as an offensive weapon in this game.......he will have to stay on the line and block to help protect CJ Rogers.  That eliminates part of Argyle's arsenal on offense right there.  But it also improves Argyle's chances in the running game and gives Rogers a little more time and protection in the passing game.  I think Argyle's got enough other targets that can get open for Rogers......IF the O-line can give Rogers enough time to find them.  On target and on time.......that's what to be looking for in Argyle on offense when you are watching this game.  I seriously doubt Argyle's running game will do anything but keep the chains moving and make for a good mix to keep the defense honest. But maybe I'm wrong.......Argyle's got some talented RB's this season. And a big enough O-line.

I just got finished watching Friday Night Lights again for the umpteenth time.......I never get tired of watching this great movie about Texas High School Football.  What a fitting way to get ready for this week's awesome battle on the gridiron of glory in Texarkana, Huh guys?  One good team is gonna win and one is gonna lose, but the season is young and hopefully the game will be a testament to the movie and a great season of Texas High School Football under the Friday night lights we all so dearly love.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, powerlifter said:

if  they did there home work on  PG might turn out to be a good one best of luck to both teams  

Homework only goes so far when you are playing a top tier team.......execution on both sides of the ball becomes the order and disorder of the game.  Knowledge is a definite plus, but you can even know what the play is and if you don't execute properly.......then the knowledge didn't really triumph.  Execution and taking advantage of the opponent's mistakes  while minimizing your own.......in a bigtime game between two top-tier teams like this one, that's what will count most.  I'm certain both teams will not be surprised because of a lack of knowledge......LOL.  

But thanks for your vote of confidence anyway.  Argyle will need every ounce of confidence it can muster to win this game, for sure.

Nobody has stated this, and probably because it would seem very improbable.    But the very best thing that could happen for Argyle during the course of this game is to sustain long drives and score.......at least on several possessions.  OR......at least sustain possessions and turn it over back to PG deep in their own territory.......whether by punt or by turnover in downs.  Argyle has a good kicker........I think he can be successful from 35 yds out or maybe even a little bit longer.  He's just not been tested or used in this scenario......only shorter distances like 30 yds.  Argyle has the capabilities of scoring quickly on one play at anytime during a game.......so longer sustained possessions during the game would be to their advantage.

5 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Nobody has stated this, and probably because it would seem very improbable.    But the very best thing that could happen for Argyle during the course of this game is to sustain long drives and score.......at least on several possessions.  OR......at least sustain possessions and turn it over back to PG deep in their own territory.......whether by punt or by turnover in downs.  Argyle has a good kicker........I think he can be successful from 35 yds out or maybe even a little bit longer.  He's just not been tested or used in this scenario......only shorter distances like 30 yds.  Argyle has the capabilities of scoring quickly on one play at anytime during a game.......so longer sustained possessions during the game would be to their advantage.

Many think this will be a one possession game, including me.  Though we didn’t describe it in detail like you did above, field position and the kicking game will be important.  I’m going with a relatively low scoring game, something like 31-24 with PG getting the W.

4 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Many think this will be a one possession game, including me.  Though we didn’t describe it in detail like you did above, field position and the kicking game will be important.  I’m going with a relatively low scoring game, something like 31-24 with PG getting the W.

Okay........that sounds like something that should be in the neighborhood considering it's only Week 2, no scrimmages for either team, and two top-tier teams going at it.  Keeping Argyle below scoring 35 pts is tough to do normally.......but PG is not a "normal" situation and has a great defense.

15 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Okay........that sounds like something that should be in the neighborhood considering it's only Week 2, no scrimmages for either team, and two top-tier teams going at it.  Keeping Argyle below scoring 35 pts is tough to do normally.......but PG is not a "normal" situation and has a great defense.

Look back over the last couple of years when PG played top tier teams like Carthage & Paris early.  The scores tend to be lower as the defenses are ahead of the offenses from an execution standpoint.  It’s been a couple years but even the annual early season Argyle vs LV game was low scoring (31-29).  I see this game being similar.

7 hours ago, regaleagle said:

To limit those quick scoring capabilities, look for PG to slow the game down. I suspect the PG offense will snap the ball with around 2 to 3 seconds remaining on the play clock. PG had it down to perfection against Carthage in 2018.

My concerns for PG in this game are....PG has a new QB and this will be his first big test in a game of this magnitude. He has the physical tools...it now comes down to the mental aspect of the game. PG wide receivers are talented but not having the 7 on 7 this summer to build the connection with the QB is a concern. PG secondary is new and was not tested against Nashville. That was due to PG's defensive line pressure on the Nashville QB most of the game...this will be critical in Friday's game too.  The biggest concern is "Depth". PG cannot match the depth of Argyle and will have several players playing both ways...that is why the game will be slowed down. If you are an Argyle fan, you will probably get frustrated at the strategy because it changes the dynamics of the game. 

I will add, if anyone can get more out of kids...it is Josh Gibson. These kids will give every ounce of their energy and play hard to the final whistle.  Looking forward to a safe and great game!

• Like 1

Okay........so you are saying they will not be doing the quick to the line and quick to snap the ball routine this week, Huh?  They want to burn clock and elongate the snap clock instead?   In other words.........they are going to change the rhythm of their offense for this game against Argyle simply because Argyle may be able to score quickly once or twice during the game???  I'd like to see that for sure!   Argyle will have no problem if PG wants to elongate their snap clock and slow down their rhythm offensively.  I would think the best way to slow down this game is to control the ball and possessions, not slow down your offensive rhythm that have proven to be part of your offensive success of the scheme you run.  But Hey........if that's a workable deal for PG and they can make it happen without disrupting their normal rhythm........then go for it!

20 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Okay........so you are saying they will not be doing the quick to the line and quick to snap the ball routine this week, Huh?  They want to burn clock and elongate the snap clock instead?   In other words.........they are going to change the rhythm of their offense for this game against Argyle simply because Argyle may be able to score quickly once or twice during the game???  I'd like to see that for sure!   Argyle will have no problem if PG wants to elongate their snap clock and slow down their rhythm offensively.  I would think the best way to slow down this game is to control the ball and possessions, not slow down your offensive rhythm that have proven to be part of your offensive success of the scheme you run.  But Hey........if that's a workable deal for PG and they can make it happen without disrupting their normal rhythm........then go for it!

Go watch the 2018 PG vs Carthage game on YouTube if you want to see it in action.  They can do it and it does not impact their offense.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

the key to PG going fast has never been the time between plays....it's the time of breaking the huddle to the snap of the ball so that defenses can't make quick adjustments.  they have drained the clock in a lot of games!!!

• Like 1

Just now, regaleagle said:

Go back and look at how they played Carthage in 2018....PG was in control of the game and burned the play / game clock during that game. Even though PG lost, it was a very successful strategy...it limited the number of "touches" for Carthage.  PG's rhythm has never been like a spread team. They can change their tempo throughout the game when needed.   I could be wrong but I suspect we will see that same strategy Friday night.  The quick to the line will happen and the ball will snap within 2 to 3 seconds of the play clock.

• Like 1

Okay........so it sounds like this is a method PG incorporates off and on when they want to burn clock but it doesn't disrupt their offensive rhythm.  I guess over the course of an entire game it would work pretty good for them.  To be honest........I'm wondering if the Argyle defense wouldn't rather this happen than the quick to the line snap deal anyways.

According to Texas Bob's........the capacity of Hawk Stadium is a little over 3500.  I don't know how many tickets were alloted to the Argyle visiting side.......I would guess not much more than 500 were sold and then the band, drill team, and cheerleaders if they show.  So about half of 3500 is 1750 for this game.......less the Argyle tickets.  Looks like about a 1000 total will be available for the PG side, perhaps as many as 1250.  I guess this is the home opener for PG this season, Huh?

1 hour ago, regaleagle said:

According to Texas Bob's........the capacity of Hawk Stadium is a little over 3500.  I don't know how many tickets were alloted to the Argyle visiting side.......I would guess not much more than 500 were sold and then the band, drill team, and cheerleaders if they show.  So about half of 3500 is 1750 for this game.......less the Argyle tickets.  Looks like about a 1000 total will be available for the PG side, perhaps as many as 1250.  I guess this is the home opener for PG this season, Huh?

It is the home opener for PG. Argyle got around 400 tickets. There will be no visiting bands or drill team. There will probably be less then 1,800 for the game. PG has a grass berm that will be for overflow once the stands reach capacity.

If I was a PG fan........think I'd rather sit on the Argyle side than the grass berm, lol.  There should be plenty of empty seats on that side since no band is present.  Argyle has maybe close to 100 band members.......I'd guess at least 200 PG fans could sit on that side, if not even more.

One thing is for sure.......the Argyle players will experience what it is like to go into an opponents stadium and play without the support of their band, drill team, and over half of the fans that usually travel to games.  It's gonna be mighty lonely for the visitors at Hawk Stadium tomorrow night.........tough sledding on the field too.

If you want to watch this game on your TV and have a Smart TV.......all you need to do is download the Youtube app. to the TV, then search for Argyle Sports.   Also,  since Argyle has its own channel this season on Boxcast......you can search for the Boxcast Channel using your Apple, Roku, or Amazon Firestick TV.  Download the Boxcast Channel to your TV, then search for Argyle sports and the Live Stream should pop up for your viewing on your TV.  You can always go to Youtube on your computer and watch it that way also........just search for Argyle Sports or Argyle vs Pleasant Grove on Youtube on Friday night for the Live Streamed game on your computer.  

I'm up early this Friday morning.......it's Gameday and I'm making me a cup of International Coffees Hazelnut cafe.  It's some good stuff.......a little expensive compared to regular coffee but why not on a big gameday like this one!  Hadn't figured out yet what to have to eat this evening before the game.  I might put something on the grill and invite a buddy over to watch the game on TV with me.  Not sure if my son will be over to watch it with me tonight(he's not married).  And I'm a widower now for 10 yrs.......my wife passed early of colon cancer when my son was in his 2nd year of college.  But I'm a heckuva chef and always have been good at the culinary arts......even though I grew up on a ranch, LOL.  I just learned to cook at an early age.......on the grill first........and then in the kitchen.  Now I've advanced my skills into baking desserts.......that's a whole different animal altogether.  But my wife was an expert baker.......and a way advanced better cook in the kitchen than me........so we learned from each other and shared a common interest in cooking and fine dining.  And hole-in-the-wall great dining spots too.......we would search them out and use our contacts.  Cheers!!!  High School Gameday, Folks. Our game tonight might be the very biggest game statewide.......since no 5A or 6A games have begun yet.

• Like 1