Best linebacker in East Texas this year?

Pittstrike52

Trevion Sneed at Mineola moved from DE to LB his senior year. Very smart move by the coaching staff, teams for the last 3 years have run away from him or doubled teamed him when he was on the D-line. Now he can be free to see more and react. Already has a INT return 55yards for TD and 200 yards 2TD's rushing.

https://tylerpaper.com/sports/mineola-rallies-in-second-half-to-down-canton-30-14/article_8aecaa26-ea40-11ea-8e1a-7f7ff8455e1e.html

21 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

I don’t know his name, but #11 from EF seems to cover an awful lot of ground and looks like a punishing tackler. 

William Goodnight ! And he shows up all over the field and we already had 2 elite LB’s returning so now we have 3 at EF ! If William can stay healthy he has a shot at a very special season.  Had a ankle sprain in game one kept him out most of second half. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pittstrike52 said:

Are there any defensive players that strike fear in opposing  offenses around East Texas, that you have personally seen or constantly heard of this year?

Let’s be honest. This is ETX. With the exception of a few there are usually never any true linebackers. Just safety’s playing in the front 7. 

• Like 1

according to recruiting sites, Clayton Smith at Texas High is the highest ranked LB.  But he is listed as an Outside Linebacker/Weakside Def End 

one thing of note, the top 3 highest ranked players in East Texas are all from Texarkana. 

55 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

according to recruiting sites, Clayton Smith at Texas High is the highest ranked LB.  But he is listed as an Outside Linebacker/Weakside Def End 

one thing of note, the top 3 highest ranked players in East Texas are all from Texarkana. 

They do have talent in Texarkana. 

1 hour ago, JTFAN99 said:

Especially nowadays, I dont always put a ton of stock into player rankings because so much goes into them outside of pure talent....which I dont really agree with.

With that said, Clayton Smith is a STUD for sure and part of the reason why I think T-High is a statewide sleeper in 5AD2.

Just think there may be others out there who may actually be better, they just arent 6'4 220+.

1 hour ago, JTFAN99 said:

He's a great player. Commited to Oklahoma 

4 hours ago, LOL said:

@ANTI could probably fill you in on our standouts. 

Whew. Another special group of LBs in Loboland.

Hard for me to choose one. I think most people would know Kybo Jackson-Jamerson do to him being a P5 recruit....whose more of a down safety playing the Sam (OLB) role.

2022 ILB Devean Isaac is a stud, 2023 OLB JJ Rougley (6'3 213) is another to watch if we end up in the 3-4 but if I had to choose one LB to nominate for this...

SR LB Laqualon Hale. Most outlets have Kybo earning that 7-5A defensive MVP but I think Hale gets it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

Especially nowadays, I dont always put a ton of stock into player rankings because so much goes into them outside of pure talent....which I dont really agree with.

With that said, Clayton Smith is a STUD for sure and part of the reason why I think T-High is a statewide sleeper in 5AD2.

Just think there may be others out there who may actually be better, they just arent 6'4 220+.

we have been round and raound on this many times, and I understand your point. 

However, I think you are too dismissive of recruiting rankings. I do agree that they do miss on players, but the numbers don't lie.  Four and five star guys are more likely to get drafted in the NFL, and Three star guys also have a good chance.  There are several articles out there that show this.  These schools ain't spending all that money on recruiting evaluators if they ain't good at what they do. https://247sports.com/Article/NFL-Draft-recruiting-rankings-why-recruiting-matters-college-football-146512831/

A 5'11 Def End can dominate in HS because mostly everybody out there is below 6 feet..  But how many 5'11 Def Ends do you see in the NFL?  Size does matters. Its not about how good a guy is in HS, its how he projects in College and the NFL against larger and faster people...and usually the bigger you are, the better chance at most positions. 

23 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

A 5'11 Def End can dominate in HS because mostly everybody out there is below 6 feet..  But how many 5'11 Def Ends do you see in the NFL?  

They don't even get a chance to showcase their abilities past HS....so obviously the chances of seeing a 5'11 DE in the league is slim to none. Let's see what happens when actually given an opportunity.

The rest of your post sounds like those crazy folks who said Kyler Murray wouldn't even win a starting position in college, much less make it to the league because he wasn't 6'4 and didn't fit the profile of a "prototypical great american pocket passing QB". 

Dematrius Davis from NS is currently going through similar and what I call casual criticism....I mean the dude is easily the best QB in the state and probably the best TXHSFB QB I've seen since Murray and here we are criticizing him and doubting his long term abilities because he ain't tall....that's silly. I'm just happy guys like Murray and now Davis were given opportunities past HS. Once upon time, recruiters were a lot more close minded to that idea. So there's progress there. 

Also, once upon a time, folks asked the same exact question about QB that you just asked about DE. No more than a decade ago. "How many below 6'4, non pocket passing QBs you see in the NFL?" 

Now you look around the league, and the best QB's are 5'11-6'2...dual threat guys lol Mahomes right in that 6'2-6'3 range. 

As for me being too dismissive toward rankings....listen majority (NOT ALL) of that stuff is so camp/combine based these days, its not even funny. Players being rated highly due to size and fast 40 yard dashes at a Nike combine.

Sue me for seeing the talent in a 5'7 safety who was all state three straight years with zero offers, but miraculously would've had every offer under the sun had he been 6'1 lol 

This ain't basketball. Size will never equate to talent in football.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

They don't even get a chance to showcase their abilities past HS....so obviously the chances of seeing a 5'11 DE in the league is slim to none. Let's see what happens when actually given an opportunity.

The rest of your post sounds like those crazy folks who said Kyler Murray wouldn't even win a starting position in college, much less make it to the league because he wasn't 6'4 and didn't fit the profile of a "prototypical great american pocket passing QB". 

Dematrius Davis from NS is currently going through similar and what I call casual criticism....I mean the dude is easily the best QB in the state and probably the best TXHSFB QB I've seen since Murray and here we are criticizing him and doubting his long term abilities because he ain't tall....that's silly. I'm just happy guys like Murray and now Davis were given opportunities past HS. Once upon time, recruiters were a lot more close minded to that idea. So there's progress there. 

Also, once upon a time, folks asked the same exact question about QB that you just asked about DE. No more than a decade ago. "How many below 6'4, non pocket passing QBs you see in the NFL?" 

Now you look around the league, and the best QB's are 5'11-6'2...dual threat guys lol Mahomes right in that 6'2-6'3 range. 

As for me being too dismissive toward rankings....listen majority (NOT ALL) of that stuff is so camp/combine based these days, its not even funny. Players being rated highly due to size and fast 40 yard dashes at a Nike combine.

Sue me for seeing the talent in a 5'7 safety who was all state three straight years with zero offers, but miraculously would've had every offer under the sun had he been 6'1 lol 

This ain't basketball. Size will never equate to talent in football.

Those are some very plausible arguments!!