The Smoakhouse Forums

I have an issue with him and "others like him".  Where were they yesterday, last week, last year, the past decade?  To me, they are simply virtue signaling.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

I have an issue with him and "others like him".  Where were they yesterday, last week, last year, the past decade?  To me, they are simply virtue signaling.

Better late than never. Atleast they are speaking up, more than alot of people.

• Thumbs Down 1
8 minutes ago, HJR7 said:

Better late than never. Atleast they are speaking up, more than alot of people.

Perhaps he is genuine. Sure, these people have a platform due to their celebrity but IMO some of these are simply protecting their brand.  Heck, there was one actor and wife that apologized for getting married at a plantation some ten years ago.  To me, some of these things are a stretch.  What is being lost is the real message by the players in the preceding segment.  Who is talking about that?  Hardly anyone.  They are talking about Herby's reaction and are mainly goofing on him.  His crying has stolen their moment.  There is one thing being a part of the change and another thing talking about being part of the change; "Hey! Look at me! I am part of the change!"

51 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Perhaps he is genuine. Sure, these people have a platform due to their celebrity but IMO some of these are simply protecting their brand.  Heck, there was one actor and wife that apologized for getting married at a plantation some ten years ago.  To me, some of these things are a stretch.  What is being lost is the real message by the players in the preceding segment.  Who is talking about that?  Hardly anyone.  They are talking about Herby's reaction and are mainly goofing on him.  His crying has stolen their moment.  There is one thing being a part of the change and another thing talking about being part of the change; "Hey! Look at me! I am part of the change!"

I believe he is genuine. And I'm not the biggest Herbstreit fan.

If this how college game day is going to be from here on out I've lost interest. Is it not possible to leave politics for another platform and let sports have their own thing? Why do we have to bring up this BS up in everything? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, WETSU said:

If this how college game day is going to be from here on out I've lost interest. Is it not possible to leave politics for another platform and let sports have their own thing? Why do we have to bring up this BS up in everything? 

Most people use sports as a way to get away from life. I do not wanna see this and an on the verge of being anti sports. 

26 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

Most people use sports as a way to get away from life. I do not wanna see this and an on the verge of being anti sports. 

Exactly. I thought maybe, just maybe, we could keep college football as the last shining hope in american entertainment. I was wrong. Its hollywood now for the most part... 

• Thanks 1

I tune into sports for the entertainment and watching the athletes utilize their God-given talents.  I am not tuning in to get the latest on social issues from ex-athletes that most likely do not have any other talents than talking about the game.  Nor from some of the other talking heads that may have never even put on pads, stepped foot on a diamond, or stood at the free throw line.  For me listening to the white guys talk about this is a bit patronizing.  The Gus Johnsons, Andre Wares, et al can speak on it because they have lived it but it should be a part of the story and not "THE" story during a sportscast.

Even tuning into Fox, CNN, or other "news" stations for social commentary is skewed as all have their own agendas.

Everyone feels like a victim or feels guilty about something.  Do what you can do and do it with love and not for the spotlight.  It is the Christian thing to do.  Don't showboat about how much you are tithing.  For those that do not know what I am talking about, look it up, it is in the Bible.  Fact check for yourself.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Unashamed said:

Did you know they're both owned by legacy media?   

Great post btw.

The satellite that Fox uses in New York is owned and operated by NBC on top of 30 Rock... 

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ........My Dad would always say.......it's a political thing.  That was in the 60's and 70's.  I would ask......what do you mean, Dad?  It's worse today than ever before.  I'm not crying.......except for the tear down of our country and the Constitution of the United States of America.......and thus the free world.

'

On 9/7/2020 at 10:52 AM, WETSU said:

100% Agreed Wet

On 9/7/2020 at 10:52 AM, WETSU said:

I didn’t watch.  I only knew of Herbstreit crying from the flood of new memes rolling through my Twitter feed

3 hours ago, regaleagle said:

It's worse today 

'

No.  Its nothing today compared to the social upheaval between 1968-1972. 

The difference between then and now is the oversaturation of media that pushes news stories for views, shares and likes.  

In an 18 month period from 1971 to 1972 there were 2500 bombings on American soil.   An average of 5 a day.  Most people don't even know that about our history.   

• Thanks 1