Celina(0-2) vs Argyle(2-0) Week 3/Rivalry Game

regaleagle

Even though Celina dropped back down to Division II this realignment, they are still Argyle's Rivalry team in football.  The enrollment difference will probably even out again in a couple of years because Celina has so much more undeveloped acreage to expand on in their school district than Argyle does.......and Celina is in the beginning stages of that expansion right this very moment. just like Argyle and Melissa and Anna.  As far as football is concerned......I think Celina has the personnel to be very competitive in this game against what looks to be a very very loaded Argyle Eagles team this season.  They will need to get their offense clicking.......I think their defense is already playing at a high level.

Argyle began their season in a home opening win against a Decatur team that was missing its starting Sr. dual-threat QB Landon Howell(6-3/190).......the score was 56-9.  Then last week Argyle traveled to Pleasant Grove and defeated the Hawks in their home opener by a score of 52-41 in a game that the Eagles dominated last year's 4A-D2 State Champs regardless of the final score.  

Celina lost their season opener at home to Melissa 32-20 in a closely contested game, then traveled last week to Paris and lost that very close game 10-7 in overtime.  Both Melissa and Paris are highly ranked in 4A-D1 preseason polls and both are undefeated so far.  Argyle, Melissa, and Paris are all in the same District 7-4A D-1.   Celina was in this same district the past two seasons before dropping back down to Division 2 in this realignment.

This will be a home game for Celina.......I had to change the topic heading.  I was thinking we played in Celina last year, but I guess that was the year before.  The schedule on MaxPreps shows it as a home game for Celina and an away game for Argyle........so I guess that's right.  In Week 4 Argyle will be playing La Vega in Argyle......so the schedule is probably correct.   But you just never know about MaxPreps.....LOL.

4 hours ago, LionKing12172920 said:

Eagles wins as much as they want, after defeating PG I dnt see no team being a match for them in there division besides maybe La Vega, depending on what Vegas brings back this year again, Eagles may be the best team in this division.

Actually........there are some teams in Div.1 besides La Vega that should prove to be very good.  Melissa, Lampasas, Calallen, maybe CC Miller when they get going.  Maybe Paris,  Springtown, Dumas, or even Canyon.  Kennedale and Midlothian Heritage are possibilities......there may be some others.  It's just too early in the season to discount all of these teams.  

And what would you say if Celina upset their football rival Argyle this week, Huh?   Then would that change your opinion of Argyle's football team this year?  These kinds of things do happen in Texas high school football.......esp. early in the season.  It is very possible......Celina has a good defense.  And this is a rivalry game.  And it's been a few years since Celina has gotten a win against Argyle.  Argyle cannot afford to be overconfident in this game against Celina this week......esp. against Celina.

The perfect "trap game" this week for Celina.......at home against an overconfident Argyle with a defense that may not be as good as Celina's.  And maybe Celina is so familar with Argyle's offense that they can do some things on defense to cause some problems for the Argyle offense.  And maybe cause some turnovers too.  Things can happen in a game like this that the average fan doesn't think about.  Celina will be breathing fire for a win this week against Argyle after losing their first two games of the season for the first time in many years.  

And to go along with that "trap game" theory........Argyle has La Vega on the slate for the very next week........just sayin'.  Celina could catch Argyle with their jock straps down between PG and La Vega.  And the game is in Celina.  If somehow Celina gets the lead and causes some turnovers.......things could get mighty dicey mighty quick in an away game against our rival Celina.  They would love nothing more than to give Argyle a good old fashioned whooping and take us to the woodshed, for sure.

From what I understand, Celina has a fairly good-sized O-line this year to help protect their new qb, but things just haven't worked out in their favor so far against a good Melissa and Paris team offensively.  They have a new OC this  season as well.....so they are still working on everybody coming together on offense.  

Just food for thought.......Celina has a very speedy secondary with some very good athletes........maybe not as speedy as Paris has.......but was probably a very even matchup against Paris.  It takes a very good secondary to play with Argyle.......I think Celina has one.  And some decent linebackers too.  

I'll give Celina a pass against Melissa in the first game of the season.......Melissa has a very strong offense and Celina has a new OC this season trying to install his offense.  Melissa has very good athletes on both sides of the ball and will be difficult to defeat this season.......end of story.  It was the first game of the season against a very potent team......Melissa had the clear advantage.  

1 hour ago, swaha said:

After seeing Argyle in person and watching the Celina / Paris stream, Argyle will roll in this game. 

1 hour ago, swaha said:

After seeing Argyle in person and watching the Celina / Paris stream, Argyle will roll in this game. 

Oh really.........I haven't seen the Celina/Paris stream yet.  So you think by watching that game it is that obvious, Huh?  Even though teams can make jumps in the first several weeks of the season......esp. in this Covid restricted season???  And with all the situations I have mentioned above too?

30 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Oh really.........I haven't seen the Celina/Paris stream yet.  So you think by watching that game it is that obvious, Huh?  Even though teams can make jumps in the first several weeks of the season......esp. in this Covid restricted season???  And with all the situations I have mentioned above too?

I am not sure if you are being facetious, but your comments can be misconstrued.. Maybe it is just your writing style...if so I would change it up somewhat.

This is a message board to express opinions. My opinion is that Argyle has overall better athletes than Celina and will execute their offense better. The Celina OL is not near as good as Argyle's. Even though the Argyle defense can give up some plays, it will not give up enough for Celina to win the game. The Argyle offense is too potent with the Rogers kid at QB. I could be wrong because these are HS kids playing, but I do not think this game will be close.  

Regal, every year you say the same thing. Trap game, trap game. This game will not be close. I don’t care how good Celinas D is they will not stop this Argyle team. You just seen one of the best Defensive team in 4a get chopped up like chopped bbq. Same thing will happen with Celina. 

• Like 1

If Celina could find a way to get their offense in gear, perhaps this game would be close. But I just don't see that happening in a week. Celina does have the defense to stay in this game. But with an offense that has demonstrated a complete inability to move the football with consistency, there's just too much pressure on the defense to perform. Perhaps they can do that for a few series against the Eagles, but eventually, if the offense is just going 3-and-out every time, the floodgates will open up. Argyle just has too many weapons and too many points of attack, and an offensive line that affords Rogers time to do whatever he wants.

Celina's defensive front-seven doesn't have the eye-catching recruits that PG has, but the Bobcats' unit is very good. Hunter Neely at MLB sure is fun to watch, and Zach Vavruska (sp) is also really good, if not a bit undersized, at LB. Wyatt Stephens is an above average DE, and unfortunately, he was ejected early from the Paris game for targeting. I didn't see it happen and didn't rewind the stream to try and find it. But I trust that if the officials called it and ejected him, it was probably warranted. Celina's front-seven lived in the backfield against Melissa and Paris. But they'll be going against the best offensive line they'll face all year on Friday.

I think the defense is good enough to keep Celina in the game early, but just a couple of 3-and-outs by the offense, and it won't take long for Argyle to open it up. The Eagles are just elite level good this season.