R.I.P. Luby’s

Stoney

Luby’s. Wyatt’s Cafeteria. I think it was Bonanza’s across from the old Mervyn’s in Longview. The old cafeteria in the Longview Mall. Pancho’s on 31. Golden Corral in Gilmer. Those places were my grandparents go to places to eat out at. Hate to see them gone.

On 9/8/2020 at 8:41 PM, Stoney said:

Luby’s. Wyatt’s Cafeteria. I think it was Bonanza’s across from the old Mervyn’s in Longview. The old cafeteria in the Longview Mall. Pancho’s on 31. Golden Corral in Gilmer. Those places were my grandparents go to places to eat out at. Hate to see them gone.

Yes, this is where the blue hairs went to eat.

The place in the Longview Mall was Picadilly's.

I remember going to Wyatt's back in the early '70's when my grandmother would drive over from Marshall.  It was in downtown Longview near the Gregg County Jail.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Yes, this is where the blue hairs went to eat.

The place in the Longview Mall was Picadilly's.

I remember going to Wyatt's back in the early '70's when my grandmother would drive over from Marshall.  It was in downtown Longview near the Gregg County Jail.

Yes it was. Why I couldn’t think of that who knows. I remember rolls and jello. I guess that was the go to at cafeterias.

I hate hearing this, and I had been eating there once a week to try and keep them open.  After Wyatt's went out of business Luby's was the closest thing to it.  Now, I guess there's only Traditions in Tyler that is the closest to it.  I know the last time I went to the Luby's on Little York they were near capacity, and had a long line at the drive thru.  It would be worth it to keep that one and the one on Spring Cypress open.  I suppose with the losses were just too much.  

Growing up in Longview in the 70's and 80's I thought Wyatt's across from the Safeway and Dillard's was fine dining with their crystal chandelier.  I loved their chicken fried steak, mac and cheese, and strawberry shortcake or coconut cream pie.  We only went there on special occasions such as Mother's Day, Father's Day, my Mom's birthday, and other holidays.  So it was a special treat to me.  I never liked Morrison's, Furr's, or Picadilly Cafe.  The closest back then to Wyatt's was Bryce's in Texarkana.  Wow, I just looked up Wyatt's Cafeteria and there's still one open in Houston, so I suppose I can go there or Cleburne's.   

13 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

Anyone remember the Furrs cafeterias? ...

The first one I ate at was in Hot Springs, AR  across the street from bathhouse row.  It wasn't as good as Luby's or Wyatt's.  I was a kid when my parents took me there.  I did eat at the Furr's Buffet in Addison, TX when I lived in Richardson, since the closest Luby's was in Mesquite.  Wyatt's had already shut down at the Big Town Mall  next to the Stetson's store.  I also went to the Furr's that they opened up in Spring, TX, but it only lasted two years.  I liked it better than I did the Golden Corral, and even the Golden Corral is having problems.  I brought up Morrison's Cafe, because when we would travel to see relatives my Daddy liked to eat there.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morrison's_Cafeteria.  I remember them in Tennessee and Mississippi back in the 70's and 80's.   To me Wyatt's, Luby's, Bryce's, Cleaburne's, and Morrison's were about comfort food that was better than even my Momma could cook.  Maybe it was because I didn't have to wash dishes afterwards or take out the trash.  I think it's sad that we're losing these places, it's comfort food to me.  The younglings are destroying everything.  We need Anakin to purge them...

• Like 1

On 9/10/2020 at 6:47 PM, DaveTV1 said:

I hate hearing this, and I had been eating there once a week to try and keep them open.  After Wyatt's went out of business Luby's was the closest thing to it.  Now, I guess there's only Traditions in Tyler that is the closest to it.  I know the last time I went to the Luby's on Little York they were near capacity, and had a long line at the drive thru.  It would be worth it to keep that one and the one on Spring Cypress open.  I suppose with the losses were just too much.  

Growing up in Longview in the 70's and 80's I thought Wyatt's across from the Safeway and Dillard's was fine dining with their crystal chandelier.  I loved their chicken fried steak, mac and cheese, and strawberry shortcake or coconut cream pie.  We only went there on special occasions such as Mother's Day, Father's Day, my Mom's birthday, and other holidays.  So it was a special treat to me.  I never liked Morrison's, Furr's, or Picadilly Cafe.  The closest back then to Wyatt's was Bryce's in Texarkana.  Wow, I just looked up Wyatt's Cafeteria and there's still one open in Houston, so I suppose I can go there or Cleburne's.   

I do not remember Dillard's being a eating place.  I remember the Dillard's clothing store being downtown though.

20 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

I do not remember Dillard's being a eating place.  I remember the Dillard's clothing store being downtown though.

Dillard's was across the street from the Western Auto that was at the end of the shopping center that Wyatt's was in.  I can still remember how Downtown Longview used to be before the Mall opened.  It had an escalator in it that I used to ride as a kid.  I forgot the name of the shoe shop that was downtown that had a carousel in it.  If there were other restaurants in Downtown Longview, except for the Petroleum Club that was on top of the 1st National Bank (It's a different bank now) , I don't remember them, because we never ate at them.  Johnny Cace's had already moved to their Marshall Ave. location.  

20 hours ago, Unashamed said:

Sulphur springs still has one

The only way that I can see any locations staying open is if they allow for franchises.  I think they're liquidating all of the locations.  I don't understand why they would close their profitable stores down.  I know that Wyatt's was bought out by their union, but it didn't last long.  

31 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

Dillard's was across the street from the Western Auto that was at the end of the shopping center that Wyatt's was in.  I can still remember how Downtown Longview used to be before the Mall opened.  It had an escalator in it that I used to ride as a kid.  I forgot the name of the shoe shop that was downtown that had a carousel in it.  If there were other restaurants in Downtown Longview, except for the Petroleum Club that was on top of the 1st National Bank (It's a different bank now) , I don't remember them, because we never ate at them.  Johnny Cace's had already moved to their Marshall Ave. location.  

Either Brown’s Shoe Store or Anthony’s had the carousel. One of those 2 stores also had the vacuum tubes to send money in along the ceiling.

Also, Todd Furniture, which was near the newspaper office had a monkey in a cage named Charlie that my parents would take me to see occasionally.

It was Browns that had the carousel.  Anthony's had a slide in it, but you could only go down it if you knew someone that worked there.  My brother did, and I went to church with the manager of Anthony's so I got to go down it a couple of times.  I don't even know if Anthony's exists anymore, but after the mall opened the downtown location closed, but they opened two up, one by People's Restaurant and Wal Mart on Judson, and one at the Loop in the Wal Mart/Showbiz/Michael's shopping center.  That's when they closed the Anthony's down on Gilmer Rd. near Brookshire's an Perry's (which was sort of a 5 and dime, similar to M.E. Moses and TG&Y).  

6 hours ago, Stoney said:

I think Gilmer had a Perry’s on the square. Trying to remember the name of the old shoe store down from Tater Town barbershop and the old hardware store down from it. It wasn’t H&D or Economy. 

I don't think Gilmer ever had a Perry's back in the day.  It did have two Mom and Pop owned stores that were similar on the square.  I do remember they had a Ben Franklin in the shopping center behind the cutoff to Latch heading towards Kelsey/Queens City/Harmony.  I forgot the name of the burger place that was in the triangle there.  It was similar to a Dairy Queen, but I don't think it was one.  We always got our burgers at Joe's or the Texaco Station that later became Swanner's.   They had a Marshall's across the street near the bank that the Kelly girl was abducted.  They had the huge Cowboy belt buckles that looked sort of like wrestling championship belts.  I always wanted one just because of that, but they were expensive even way back then.  

I did go to the Luby's on Little York yesterday, and they were still doing a fantastic business.  The workers there seemed to think that they'll stay open.  I didn't talk to the manager to find out for sure, and I wish I would have.  I know I'd be worried about job security if I worked there.  I plan on going once every two weeks, because I still go to the Pancho's and Casa Ole every other week to try and keep them alive.  It was sad to drive by the Pancho's yesterday on Tidwell, and see they've taken their signs down.  The building is still the old fashioned design.  I found out that they rented the space, but I wish the landlord would have worked with them until this is over.  I read the earliest projection that it might be over is the Spring of 2021, but I think it's going to last longer.  Without herd immunity it's going to be here for awhile.