Week 3 Game Cancellations

Eagleborn

6 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Obi- I think many of the cancellations are less about positive cases with test (though there are some) and more about exposure to someone with a positive test or concern over possible exposure which is taken out of caution.

I understand what you are saying.  But I can't make it make sense in my head.  The science shows that for school kids, the flu is much more dangerous than covid.  But somehow we are going to use 100X more caution for covid than we do the flu....for school kids.  I thought we were supposed to follow the science.  It is time we follow the science!  I'm not asking for less caution for school kids than we use on flu.  But I sure don't see the need for 100X more caution.

“The risk of complications for healthy children is higher for flu compared to COVID-19,” according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “However, infants and children with underlying medical conditions are at increased risk for both flu and COVID-19.”

The CDC estimates there were 480 deaths among U.S. children due to flu in the 2018-19 season, including 136 cases in which the virus was confirmed by laboratory testing.

As of mid-August, 90 children died of COVID-19 in the United States, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics.

More than 46,000 children were hospitalized for flu in that 2018-19 period. The hospitalization rate among children 5 to 17 was 39.2 children per 100,000 children.

The hospitalization rate for COVID-19 is six per 100,000 children for those ages 5 to 17, according to the CDC.

https://khn.org/news/desantis-says-covid-is-a-lower-risk-for-school-aged-kids-than-flu/

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

I understand what you are saying.  But I can't make it make sense in my head.  The science shows that for school kids, the flu is much more dangerous than covid.  But somehow we are going to use 100X more caution for covid than we do the flu....for school kids.  I thought we were supposed to follow the science.  It is time we follow the science!  I'm not asking for less caution for school kids than we use on flu.  But I sure don't see the need for 100X more caution.

“The risk of complications for healthy children is higher for flu compared to COVID-19,” according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “However, infants and children with underlying medical conditions are at increased risk for both flu and COVID-19.”

The CDC estimates there were 480 deaths among U.S. children due to flu in the 2018-19 season, including 136 cases in which the virus was confirmed by laboratory testing.

As of mid-August, 90 children died of COVID-19 in the United States, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics.

More than 46,000 children were hospitalized for flu in that 2018-19 period. The hospitalization rate among children 5 to 17 was 39.2 children per 100,000 children.

The hospitalization rate for COVID-19 is six per 100,000 children for those ages 5 to 17, according to the CDC.

https://khn.org/news/desantis-says-covid-is-a-lower-risk-for-school-aged-kids-than-flu/

I hear what you are saying.  But as we get closer to district these coaches & AD’s are having to make some tough decisions and factor things they wouldn’t normally factor.  Things like does the opponent have any known cases in school or do they have high # of cases in the district?  I’m sure the Supt is involved in that discussion as well.

6 hours ago, ctown81 said:

I would love to see the findings in your research so I can compare to the CDC.

2 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

Lmao. She’s not much of a researcher. 

16 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

Anymore area cancellations? Would be super neat if the thread could stay that way instead of who can copy and paste the best. 

My apologies.  Based on your post on the Tatum thread, I guess I wrongly assumed that you wanted to see some covid research supported by the CDC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ObiOne said:

Cancelling once in a lifetime opportunities for all these kids for a disease that isn't even as bad as the flu for their age group.  Our society has become so fragile.

• Like 5

If we are going to cancel games every single time there is a possible exposure, then it will never be safe to go outside and play ever again.  Ever!   Nothing but fear and soon they are going to try and mandate Covid vaccines for all.   Stop the madness.  High school dreams are being ruined in all sports as the insanity rules.  Where are our leaders?  Too scared?  I guess they are all just followers.  

• Like 7

4 hours ago, ObiOne said:

Why are so many students getting tested?  Do we test healthy people for the flu?  Many schools and universities have been open (in school) for several weeks.  Has there been a spike in students with serious illness, hospitalizations, or god forbid deaths?  If so, I feel like the media would be showing us every hour of the day.  So again, why are so many students getting tested?  Seems the proper protocol should be....if you feel bad or have symptoms you should stay home and self quarantine.  

If kids show ANY symptom the whole family is sent home and have to have a doctors note or negative test to be allowed to return. That is my understanding.

25 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

If kids show ANY symptom the whole family is sent home and have to have a doctors note or negative test to be allowed to return. That is my understanding.

That’s way above TEA recommendations.  COVID exposure with the close contact rule is being within 6 ft of someone for more than 15 minutes where both were not wearing a mask and one of them tests positive... which results in the need to quarantine for 14 days from the day of exposure.  Indirect contact is being within 6 ft of someone that tests positive and both are wearing masks meaning no real action has to be taken but not a bad idea to symptom check daily.  
Shutting down for 2 weeks is basically quarantining the whole damned team so you can come back and do it all over again in 14 days... Not a logical choice IMO if you want to play football.  Leave the sick at home and play ball!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just wear the mask whether you like it or not. There’s going to be cases but if you really want to keep your team on the field tell them all to wear the mask. The way the rules are written it’s is impossible to have close contact if you wear the mask. Teams that are shutting down are either A. Not enforcing the mask rule or B. Do not understand the rules. 

• Thumbs Down 3

42 minutes ago, ronstopable said:

Just wear the mask whether you like it or not. There’s going to be cases but if you really want to keep your team on the field tell them all to wear the mask. The way the rules are written it’s is impossible to have close contact if you wear the mask. Teams that are shutting down are either A. Not enforcing the mask rule or B. Do not understand the rules. 

The 2 downvotes here are 💩 because you are absolutely right.  The only true close contact should be direct contact from an immediate family member.  And I am an “anti-masker” but I want my team to play ball!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MavGrad99 said:

The 2 downvotes here are 💩 because you are absolutely right.  The only true close contact should be direct contact from an immediate family member.  And I am an “anti-masker” but I want my team to play ball!

Downvotes could of been for the last part of the post?

2 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

If I have to sacrifice personal freedom to have football....kiss football goodbye....those downvotes were well earned....