D U N E

Mr. P

42 minutes ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

Looks good.....ima fan of the long version 1984 Dune......lol....hope this matches that one....

That reminds me...   back in the early days of YouTube (when it still had full movies and other bootleg content) there was a fan-made cut that was over three hours and combined material from the different filmed versions (David Lynch, Alan Smithee, TV broadcast) into one massive supercut. It was pretty awesome. 

13 hours ago, Stoney said:

Have never seen it. I know it only from a few pop culture references. What’s it about?

It's pretty much the source document that George Lucas stole from to build out his Star Wars universe, and the template for modern sci-fi narratives.

There's a "chosen one" who is destined to bring balance to the galaxy. There's a corrupt ruling elite. There's a noble family who is all but destroyed. There's a big baddie who gets his comeuppance. There's mysticism and tragedy and politics and true love all intertwined. 

You really should pick up the first book. I think you'll enjoy it. 

Just now, WestHardinfan1 said:

Took over 3 hours to tell.....lol....and it was actually GOOD......

Yeah, and even though Frank Herbert's personal politics were left of center, you never feel like you're being preached at. Dude just tells a good story, with complex and fully-developed characters. 

I'm sure the new movie is gonna have some SJW themes and/or casting, but fortunately the director has a reputation for focusing more on story than ideology in his past works.

Fingers crossed! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Unashamed said:

I remember posting about dune a few months ago partly because of the movie being filmed but also because of the modern relevance of its themes.  

Lol.  Nobody replied. 

I have no frens.

Oh man, really? Dang...  sorry about that. 

Gotta admit, I was expecting something mediocre. But the trailer has won me over. 

32 minutes ago, Unashamed said:

About your reply with hoping it's not SJWey.  I think it's getting a little bit of backlash for being  very "white".  One guy on Twitter actually made a good point though about how Herbert's depiction of the Fremen was based on Arab culture and the movie doesn't have a single Arab actor.  

I think that was a mistake.   Inclusion is forced upon us in ways that aren't organic to the story but I'm this instance it makes perfect sense.   I guess a missed opportunity.

Same. I have absolutely no problem with Fremen looking like a variety of peoples who are native to the desert. Whether it's "Arab" or various combinations of Saharan or Sub-Saharan ethnicities. 

My only "concern" is the casting of Liet Kynes, the Imperial Ecologist for Arrakis. He is described (by the author) as a tall, slender man of an aristocratic bearing, with blue-within-blue eyes and sandy-blonde hair.

Compare the 1984 casting with the 2020

yyBBXe2.png

Now, before you call me a "racist," understand that the issue i have with this is purely literary. This character change impacts the subtext of the narrative.

Understand that Liet Kynes is someone who comes from a place of high privilege. It is because of his background that he is able to surreptitiously work behind the scenes to support the Fremen resistance. His character also illustrates the blindness of the royalty, and their own inherent prejudice. They never suspect Liet because he's "one of us."

Otherwise, I have no concern about Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho. There is nothing about the narrative of the story where race or ethnicity has any correlation to Idaho's role. Same with Zendaya as Chani, Chang Chen as Dr. Wellington Yueh, Stellan Skarsgård as Baron Vladimir Harkonnen, Dave Bautista as Beast Rabban, Stephen McKinley Henderson as Thufir Hawat, Javier Bardem as Stilgar, or David Dastmalchian as Piter De Vries. 

27 minutes ago, Unashamed said:

I've completely avoided watching any of the trailers at all but my understanding is that their will be a movie and then a tv series?  

That is my understanding as well...  not sure how it's broken up though. 

Like, are the actors carrying on into the tv series, or does the tv series pick up later in the book series? 

9 minutes ago, Unashamed said:

Oh no they didn't.   

Just wow.

Yeah, and again: it changes the subtext, and you lose a very specific nuance of the author's original intent.

And for what purpose? Simply because there's "too many white dudes" in the cast? That's what I mean... 

You wouldn't change Nakia or Okoye to blond-haired blue-eyed white dudes from Nebraska.
You wouldn't change Blade to a sassy Italian from the Jersey Shore.

This kind of race-based cast inversion changes the subtext and impacts the core narrative. It's the opposite of inclusion. 

• 10 months later...
Just now, Stoney said:

I’ve watched the trailer and I’m still clueless to what it’s about.

The drug trade.....lol....spice drives everything, including their space warps, and it gives people who ingest it psychic abilities over time, but at a very high cost, so most avoid it as a drug.......giant worms on that planet produce the spice......whoever controls the spice controls the galaxy....whoever controls the worms controls the spice....the worms only exist on that one planet.....that kind of thing.......

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

The drug trade.....lol....spice drives everything, including their space warps, and it gives people who ingest it psychic abilities over time, but at a very high cost, so most avoid it as a drug.......giant worms on that planet produce the spice......whoever controls the spice controls the galaxy....whoever controls the worms controls the spice....the worms only exist on that one planet.....that kind of thing.......

So spice is like tamales. Whoever makes the tamales rules the world.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

On 7/22/2021 at 10:50 AM, Stoney said:

I’ve watched the trailer and I’m still clueless to what it’s about.

Just imagine if Star Wars was written by a genius...  a genius who is trying to say something important about human civilization, but without being preachy.

That's Dune. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
44 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

On HBOMAX tomorrow at 5:30.......

NO SPOILERS!  :rofl:

But seriously...  I'm taking the missus Friday night, then me and some friends are bringing our kiddos Saturday afternoon.

Gonna be nerding out on DUNE this weekend.  :woot:

• LOL! 1

16 minutes ago, LOL said:

NO SPOILERS!  :rofl:

But seriously...  I'm taking the missus Friday night, then me and some friends are bringing our kiddos Saturday afternoon.

Gonna be nerding out on DUNE this weekend.  :woot:

Well I won't post about it tomorrow.....😂😂😂

• LOL! 1

5 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Well I won't post about it tomorrow.....😂😂😂

I've only read the book about 30 or 40 times, so it's literally impossible to spoil it for me...   unless they make some major changes, which would prompt me to burn the theatre right to the ground. 

• LOL! 1