La Vega Pirates(3-0) @ Argyle Eagles(3-0) Week 4

regaleagle

12 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Okay.......here we go again.......Argyle and La Vega in a battle of undefeateds, both highly ranked and both in the same region.  It's a coin toss.......heads or tails?  Take your pick.

Marquee matchup. Goliath vs Goliath. Continues the string of unbelievable non-district games for both teams.

Having seen Argyle twice now (via stream vs PG and Celina), the Eagles look like the better team to me, overall.

Theres something to be said about the wins La Vega has put together, no question. And they’ve got some freaking athletes on both sides of the ball.

If you’re a fan of offensive line play, this game is for you. Both teams have elite level OLs, and both will have a noticeable advantage over the opposing DLs.

La Vega can control the game with their bruising rushing attack, and that’s what I look for them to do. But with their speed, their backs are bound to break one or two long rushing TDs. Argyle, though, can take it to the house on any single play with a number of guys.

If the Eagles can shore up their defense just a touch, I think they win this one by 7. It starts by winning the battle up front, which will be no easy task. But if they can keep La Vega out of third-and-short consistently, they’ll stay unbeaten. But if they fall behind and let La Vega get into a grind-it-out rhythm, the Pirates could steal this one.

This game could easily turn into a shootout, though, and that favors Argyle. I think their attack is better this year with Rogers at QB, and Jasper Lott is gonna give La Vega fits.

Right now I think Argyle wins this one. Won’t be surprised if La Vega wins, though.

Elite vs Elite. This is the first of two matchups for these guys. We’ll see this game again in the Region II finals.

8 back on defense for LV. 
It is going to be a great game. 
If Argyle can run on LV, they win. 
If LV can stop Argyle’s running and make them throw every down. LV will win. 
Argyle will have to get LV in a couple of three and outs and LV better not get in a shootout. 
This game is dead even, rematch coming in the playoffs. 

On 9/12/2020 at 10:51 AM, cowboyandchrist said:

8 back on defense for LV. 
It is going to be a great game. 
If Argyle can run on LV, they win. 
If LV can stop Argyle’s running and make them throw every down. LV will win. 
Argyle will have to get LV in a couple of three and outs and LV better not get in a shootout. 
This game is dead even, rematch coming in the playoffs. 

The only way to beat La Vega is to throw the ball.......you ain't gonna win by running it.  You throw so that you CAN run it........otherwise you are dead in the water.  You have to loosen up their defense and you sure can't do that by running it.  Carthage had to throw it to run it.......they had a good running and passing game and a good QB.  Argyle has a balanced attack between the run and pass this season and a big O-line this year that is seasoned like Carthage had to help with the run and to protect the QB.  The balanced attack is how you beat a team that's good on defense........the only way.  And your QB has to be accurate and mobile.......quick on his feet.

• Like 1

The threat of scoring thru the air.......esp. inside their 20.......keeps them from loading up on the run for the stop.  It helps to open a hole and give the RB a possible lane or an opening you could not have without that threat.  Same on every play.......but esp. in the Red Zone.  Argyle's best weapons are their receivers......you use your best weapons to win a big game.  The O-line is just as important in the passing game as it is in the running game.......just depends on your QB and your stable of receivers.  Argyle has the QB and the stable of receivers to get the job done in the passing game......which correlates to success in the running game once you have their attention.

If you try to run to set up the pass......you'll be third and long all night long and playing right into LV's hands.  Better to get that passing game going even if you have to throw all 3 downs to move the chains.  You MUST establish the passing game first in order to have some success running the ball against a defense like LV has.  The threat is what loosens up the defense and allows your line to open some holes for the RB's......not vice versa.  Their strength on defense is against the run, not the pass.  Just look at what happened to two great running teams against LV's defense.......Waco Connally and Calallen.......there's your evidence.

Argyle does not have RB's the caliber of Connally and Calallen, nor the running game scheme to match the running game of those two teams.  So why should Argyle try to beat a team that's already defeated two quality teams that have very good running games.......by establishing the run, Huh?  

This will be the GOTW(Game of the Week) statewide this week........there ain't no way it's NOT gonna be Livestreamed.  Argyle has a Livestream Channel on Youtube if you know how to download the Youtube App to your Smart TV to watch it on there......or find the Boxcast on your Roku, Apple, or Firestick TV.  I just usually click the link Argyle puts up on their Twitter site and watch it on my laptop cuz I don't know how to do all the app stuff and I'll mess things up trying......LOL.  If you're over 50 it ain't easy to learn without basic computer knowledge that's carried over to today's updated  computer literacy.  I don't speak that language too well......kinda like French to me.

21 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Pretty sure all of Argyle's games are streamed live on Sportsgram.net

Sportsgram carries the Live Broadcast of the game by Kenny Arthur and Andy Smith weekly........Argyle Broadcasting Radio's play by play homer team.......LOL.  Just google up Sportsgram, find the Argyle/La Vega game, click onto LISTEN LIVE and you should have no trouble listening to the live radio play by play call on your computer.  I'm sure there is a radio station you could also tune in to for the game.......I just don't know what it is.  The Sportsgram Broadcast usually begins at 7 pm and the Livestream about 7:20.   Kickoff is at 7:30.

• Like 1

I think I'll get my son to come over and set up my Smart TV with the Youtube App this week sometime and teach me how to use it.  Then I can watch the games all season on my Smart TV and learn how to use this gizmo at the same time.  I figure I'll need to learn it sooner or later anyway.......so this will be a good excuse for me to learn it now.

Let's put it this way........La Vega will be preparing all week for the Argyle passing game, not the Argyle running game.  They already feel confident they can stop the run and don't need the practice for that.  And I know Coach Rodgers wouldn't want to disappoint Coach Hyde over there in La Vega by not passing the ball after he made the Pirates put in all that work all week long to defend it against it, LOL.

1 hour ago, regaleagle said:

If you try to run to set up the pass......you'll be third and long all night long and playing right into LV's hands.  Better to get that passing game going even if you have to throw all 3 downs to move the chains.  You MUST establish the passing game first in order to have some success running the ball against a defense like LV has.  The threat is what loosens up the defense and allows your line to open some holes for the RB's......not vice versa.  Their strength on defense is against the run, not the pass.  Just look at what happened to two great running teams against LV's defense.......Waco Connally and Calallen.......there's your evidence.

The Dawgs ran for over 200 yards on LV. 
your right about passing to set up the run. 
I don’t believe Argyle can just throw the ball and win against LV. 
Dixon ran by LV, not sure Argyle has anyone who can run by LV. 
If Argyle can’t run the ball and keep the linebackers honest, interceptions happen. 

2 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

The Dawgs ran for over 200 yards on LV. 
your right about passing to set up the run. 
I don’t believe Argyle can just throw the ball and win against LV. 
Dixon ran by LV, not sure Argyle has anyone who can run by LV. 
If Argyle can’t run the ball and keep the linebackers honest, interceptions happen. 

Oh Argyle will run the ball behind that big O-line for sure........our little powerback Baker is very fast and strong.  He can hide behind those big guys and knows how to hit the gaps with speed.  He ain't so easy to just stop either.  Not sure about Scoggins......he was limping in the 2nd half of the Celina game and came out.  Byce got a couple of carries, but then they pullled him too in the first quarter after only a few carries........I think they're bringing him along slowly early in the season.  Argyle numbers are balanced......they will run the ball.  But they need to establish the passing threat first and continue that part of the gameplan the entire game.  They are gonna wear those big linemen and the LV secondary down and run them silly.  

On a side note.......Braden Baker had 2 ACL's on his legs that have prevented him from playing football since his Freshman season at Argyle. Both were sustained early in the season each year.  But he has worked tirelessly and built his body to what it is now and has never deterred from his goal to wear that Argyle uniform and play on Friday nights for Argyle.  He was very fast and showed so much ability in his early career........and now here he is in his senior season living out his dream.  He has a special bond with the Argyle coaches and players........they all love him and respect him highly for all the tenacity and work he has undergone to stay the course.  Most players would have hung it up by now.........but Braden has persevered in the face of adversity doubled and is now reaping his rewards on Friday nights under the lights with his Argyle teammates.