La Vega Pirates(3-0) @ Argyle Eagles(3-0) Week 4

regaleagle

4 hours ago, Everide2016 said:

Argyle has won the regular season game in 2018 and 2019, then lost to La Vega in the playoffs both years.  Also lost to La Vega in playoffs in 2015. 

I'm going with Argyle not based on the above, but just looks like Argyle's wins are a little better than La Vega's.

Lost in 2015 in the SC title game to La Vega......that was their coming out year.  I think they were in Region 3 that season.

I'ma thinkin' most of you East Texas fans out there should check this game out.......it's got all the ear-markings to be full of exciting plays and even some drama.  I seriously doubt that it will be one of those boring games to watch.........most probably some fireworks exploding on offense from both teams.  I look for La Vega to do what they do best on offense........break off some long runs with their RB's slicing thru gaps with their speed, vision, and natural ability........maybe some experience too.  So Argyle will have to either get the jump on LV on the scoreboard or strike back with some highlight offensive plays of their own.  Most likely there will be a turnover or two in this one........which could possibly become a factor in the final score........or maybe not.  Anyway.......if you get the chance to tune in, I've got a feeling this will be a heckuva high school football game.

Looks like BOTH teams will have their Bye Week next week after starting off the season with 4 very competitive opponents.  This is Week 4 and a very important week for teams to get a win.......especially if your bye week falls in Week 5.  La Vega and Argyle would love to go into their Bye Week with a win and remain undefeated......but  only one of these teams will find themselves in that position.  The upside is that both teams will have basically 2 weeks to rest and heal up for making that long deep run into the playoffs.  I don't think you will see either team "letting up" to protect any of its players this week.......not with their Bye Week  beginning right after this game ends.  Both teams want to remain undefeated and there is a psychological edge that a win in this game gives to your team going forward.  Then there is the very real possibility that these two teams will meet again this season in the playoffs........not etched in stone.......but a very high probability.  So there will be some "other" considerations in this game besides just another highly ranked opponent on the schedule to play this week.  So far, both Argyle and La Vega have played teams out of their region.......but this game features the two highest ranked teams in Class 4A Region 2........a battle between regional-ranked opponents.  Yeah.......both teams really, really, really want to win this game, for sure.  It's not the end all of the season for the loser this week........but the winner of this game gains so much more upside to the rest of the season.

I look for CJ Rogers to be the difference in this game. Not only with his arm but with his legs. The Pirates seen him last year in the playoffs when Hogeboom was benched in the Second quarter. CJ managed to drive the Eagles down field with his legs and was very successful. I look for Argyle to utilize CJ through the air and on the ground. This Eagles team has not reached its peak yet. But I think this week will show just how good Argyle really is. 

14 hours ago, Argyle2014 said:

If the Eagles can tighten up some things on defense, I believe they will have a solid enough team to go all the way. IF they don’t catch the injury bug this year. Always a killer for the Eagles.

That's why winning a SC title is so difficult.......a team must play 16 games and be lucky enough or have enough depth to have most of their key skill players and best defensive players still healthy to play at 100%.   It's especially difficult when your team sustains a couple of these injuries during the regular season or playoffs.......many times it can prevent your team from winning the next playoff round or the regional or semifinal.  That's happened to Argyle several times already.......and I'm sure to other teams as well.  But that's part of this sport........it's a very physical sport and injuries become a part of the game at every level it's played.

Today is GameDay across Texas for all of your small Texas high school football teams.......except for those that had to cancel this week. And GameDay also means so much for every supporting fanbase of these smaller schools......up thru the 4A level.   Let's enjoy every week of Texas high school football this season and hope and pray that we can crown champions this December.

33 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Chicken quarters on the grill w/ sausage links, pinto beans, and potato salad.  Strawberries in a glaze with shortcakes and Cool Whip.......very simple and easy, but also yummy.

Sounds very good to me. Any special seasoning on those quarters, or you roll pretty traditional?

The last time La Vega traveled to Argyle Stadium for a game, thunderstorms erupted before kickoff and delayed the game for 2 hrs.  Argyle won with less than a minute left on the clock 31-29.......that was in Week 2 in 2018.  Then last season Argyle traveled to Waco and defeated the Pirates 49-35 in a Week 2 game.  This season the game is being played in Week 4.......two weeks later for both teams.  I'ma thinkin' Coach Hyde over there at La Vega doesn't like it very much when the Pirates lose to Argyle in the early season, and now he's been HC of the Pirates for 4 yrs now.  La Vega will most probably bring plenty of fans for their allotment to this game......it means more to them than most fairweather fans think!!  So Argyle better be ready for some knockdown, drag-out football this evening.......I expect to see La Vega to come out strong and mean.

13 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

Sounds very good to me. Any special seasoning on those quarters, or you roll pretty traditional?

Tony Cachere's Original Creole Seasoning........sprinkle it liberally all over the chicken on both sides......nothing else needed.  Then add your beer/bbq sauce right at the end.....the last 5 minutes of cook time.  The chicken comes out juicy, full of flavor, and with just a tang of spicy with that bbq taste added.  You don't want the bbq sauce to overtake the smoked chicken taste.   Barbeque sauce on the side if you want more.

I would be surprised if the team that wins the toss doesn't take the ball for the opening kickoff of this game.  Both teams want to control the ball......even though La Vega's strength is in its defense.   They don't want to give Argyle the ball to open this game......and Argyle wants their offense to have the ball.  

9 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Tony Cachere's Original Creole Seasoning........sprinkle it liberally all over the chicken on both sides......nothing else needed.  Then add your beer/bbq sauce right at the end.....the last 5 minutes of cook time.  The chicken comes out juicy, full of flavor, and with just a tang of spicy with that bbq taste added.  You don't want the bbq sauce to overtake the smoked chicken taste.   Barbeque sauce on the side if you want more.

Agree. I usually take a minimalistic approach on sauce for that very reason. It should accent, not overpower. But you had me at creole, to be honest. It's not even 9:30 and I'm sitting here salivating.

Just now, regaleagle said:

I would be surprised if the team that wins the toss doesn't take the ball for the opening kickoff of this game.  Both teams want to control the ball......even though La Vega's strength is in its defense.   They don't want to give Argyle the ball to open this game......and Argyle wants their offense to have the ball.  

I agree here. Argyle has had a tendency to score comically fast on their opening drives. That lets a little air out of the sails right away. I concur that if La Vega wins the toss, they will elect to get the ball and hope to break a long TD run right off the bat.

15 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

Agree. I usually take a minimalistic approach on sauce for that very reason. It should accent, not overpower. But you had me at creole, to be honest. It's not even 9:30 and I'm sitting here salivating.

Years of trying different spices and approaches finally landed me with this simple yet very tasty preparation for chicken on the grill.  All the spice you need is found in this spice......and absolutely the perfect ingredients for chicken.

19 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Years of trying different spices and approaches finally landed me with this simple yet very tasty preparation for chicken on the grill.  All the spice you need is found in this spice......and absolutely the perfect ingredients for chicken.

You begin by cooking the chicken away from the flame as much as possible......building your coals on one end of the grill and keeping the chicken away from direct flame.  Keep a close eye over the process, and constantly attend to the chicken on the grill every 5-10 min. or so......just to make certain the chicken isn't cooking too fast on the outside.  You'll have to move and flip the chicken in this process to keep one or two pieces from cooking faster than the others.  Usually about 30-40 min. total time on the grill over indirect heat.

Gas or propane grills just don't work as good as charcoal for grilling chicken.......it's too difficult to control the heat.  Using propane grills you have to watch and tend to the chicken even more.......and try to get the heat at the right temperature without causing flare-ups under the chicken and sausage links.  One trick is to use a water bath......a pan with water in it under the meats.  Of course......you move the chicken in and out from underneath the water bath accordingly as the chicken cooks  as needed......and then right at the end also.

15 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Gas or propane grills just don't work as good as charcoal for grilling chicken.......it's too difficult to control the heat.  Using propane grills you have to watch and tend to the chicken even more.......and try to get the heat at the right temperature without causing flare-ups under the chicken and sausage links.  One trick is to use a water bath......a pan with water in it under the meats.  Of course......you move the chicken in and out from underneath the water bath accordingly as the chicken cooks  as needed......and then right at the end also.

Another method for propane grills is to cover the lower grill in aluminum foil and cook all the meats on the upper grill......this will give you more even heat dispersion without the flare-ups.  I always use the upper grill anyway.  Chicken in a smoker works great......but you still have to rotate the meats between levels if you have one of those kinds of smokers.  If you have only one level or one grilling surface on your propane grill.......put the foil underneath it first, then the meats on top of the foil.  This method will also work well for a small charcoal grill where you don't have enough surface area to spread the chicken on one end of the grill.

The main problem with cooking meats directly on top of foil is that the drippings collect underneath the meats.......this is why a lower level is preferred when grilling anything.  You can always punch some holes in the foil to allow some of the drippings to drop down, but this will cause some flare-ups......but not enough of a problem to overcook or burn the meat......the foil helps.  It all just depends on the size of your grill, the size of the surface area, the distance between the grill top and the fire, and the temperature of the fire inside the grill.  

1 hour ago, H3llR4z0r said:

I really feel like Argyle wins this. 

Me too, I know LV has plenty of athletes, but I feel like they’re going to take a small step back this year and finish the season with a state semifinals loss.

I think Argyle beats them tonight by sticking with a wide open passing attack and then running the ball after pulling those safeties into coverage.

I’m thinking the LV offense is not quite as potent this year as in years past. I think Argyle wins 42-21 or 42-28.

LV and those 8 starters back on defense, can they get to the QB against a very Good O line. Can Argyle run the ball, we know they can pass. If the run is shut down I don’t believe Argyle can win just throwing the ball. 
LV can win by just running the ball. 
Side note: Argyle’s defense will have to get better in the playoffs to win a state championship. 
Lampasas maybe the favorite for the title 

with the way they have played. 
Three way race in my opinion, all three have the Jimmy’s and Joe’s and coaches to win the 4A DI title.