Jump to content
The Smoakhouse Forums

La Vega Pirates(3-0) @ Argyle Eagles(3-0) Week 4


Recommended Posts

Argyle threw for less than 100 yards on La Vega, because Rogers ONLY threw eight times. Meanwhile, they rushed for over 200 yards against the Pirates. And they still did it without Tito Byce.

What that means is the Eagles just flat out manhandled La Vega up front. And you could see that, if you watched the stream. Argyle's offensive line just had their way with the Pirates' defensive front. When Rogers needed to complete a pass, he did it with relative ease.

This is as good an Argyle team as I've seen since 2015, and this year's group looks more complete than even that one. If the defense continues to improve and the offensive line stays healthy, I don't see anyone beating Argyle except MAYBE Lampasas. I know La Vega has made a habit of winning the playoff rematch, but the Pirates are going to need to find another gear if they even want to play in the rematch, much less win it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The only way to beat La Vega is to throw the ball.......you ain't gonna win by running it.  You throw so that you CAN run it........otherwise you are dead in the water.  You have to loosen up their de

Sportsgram carries the Live Broadcast of the game by Kenny Arthur and Andy Smith weekly........Argyle Broadcasting Radio's play by play homer team.......LOL.  Just google up Sportsgram, find the Argyl

Argyle has won the regular season game in 2018 and 2019, then lost to La Vega in the playoffs both years.  Also lost to La Vega in playoffs in 2015.  I'm going with Argyle not based on the above,

I made the trip up to see this game. Argyle was just better in every phase of the game last night. They made it look easy last night. Both o line and d line were controlling the los. Most of the night they were in La vega's backfield. Didn't understand the play calling for La Vega at times. Really impressed with Argyle's #2 at rb. He kid has no quit and just keeps going. Argyle is hitting on all cylinders it looks like. Good luck this year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This game was won at the LOS by Argyle on both sides of the ball.  Argyle really didn't need to throw the ball in the 2nd half.......they were controlling the LOS and moving the chains while putting together drives with their ground game.  The Eagles even played their backups in this game.......some during the 3rd qtr.  What a great effort by the Argyle D.......just very very impressive.  Shut the door on LV.......slammed it shut~~~!!!  Didn't even throw one pass to Jasper Lott, and only one pass to Kirkpatrick all night.  Multi on offense, strong strong at the LOS,  linebackers and speed to the ball every play, great secondary, depth at every position......even the young Copeland soph. as the backup QB.......he's a great safety too, Huh?  The takeaway is this........WOW!!!!  And CJ is still learning.  Cash Walker will help Kirkpatrick......they won't be able to doubleteam Kirkpatrick any more. You just cannot cover everybody, and then there's Scoggins and Baker at RB.......don't even miss Byce.  Coach Rodgers said some guys will be getting healthy again during this 2-week period of Bye Week.......like he knows already that Argyle will come out the break even better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

This game was won at the LOS by Argyle on both sides of the ball.  Argyle really didn't need to throw the ball in the 2nd half.......they were controlling the LOS and moving the chains while putting together drives with their ground game.  The Eagles even played their backups in this game.......some during the 3rd qtr.  What a great effort by the Argyle D.......just very very impressive.  Shut the door on LV.......slammed it shut~~~!!!  Didn't even throw one pass to Jasper Lott, and only one pass to Kirkpatrick all night.  Multi on offense, strong strong at the LOS,  linebackers and speed to the ball every play, great secondary, depth at every position......even the young soph. Copeland  as the backup QB.......he's a great safety too, Huh?  The takeaway is this........WOW!!!!  And CJ is still learning.  Cash Walker will help Kirkpatrick......they won't be able to doubleteam Kirkpatrick any more. You just cannot cover everybody, and then there's Scoggins and Baker at RB.......don't even miss Byce.  Coach Rodgers said some guys will be getting healthy again during this 2-week period of Bye Week.......like he knows already that Argyle will come out of the break even better.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's another multi-team out there......Melissa!  They are absolutely loaded with personnel on both sides of the ball like Argyle.......talented football players.  But they may not be as seasoned or as far along or polished yet as Argyle.  And Argyle has plenty of room for improvement.  But just on pure athleticism.......everybody needs to watch Melissa at some point this season.......probably against Argyle in 2 weeks in the district opener for Argyle in Argyle.  Good thing we have 2 weeks to prepare for them and get them early at home, Huh?  They will definitely be a force in the playoffs.......write it down.......as the song goes.  Depth, size, speed, athletic, and gaining team chemistry. They battled Stephenville all night and pulled out the win at the end......never wavered in the face of adversity.  Melissa is for real.  And how about that Paris team last night, Huh? Suddenly those Celina losses don't look so unusual......do they?  And by 3 points to Paris in OT......which they could have just as easily been the winner instead of the loser.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m impressed with how Argyles Defense played last night. Those young men are starting to figure it out and can only get better. Then on the offensive side of the ball the Oline absolutely dominated that big front of LaVega. I predicted Argyle to win by 2-3 scores and was not surprised by the outcome. This is one of the best Argyle teams I’ve seen and I’ve been watching them since 2013. I still don’t think this team has reached it peak yet and that’s a good thing. This is a special team for sure. I’m pretty sure CJ Rogers is a little sore this morning as he took so BIG hits last night from some BIG boys. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

There's another multi-team out there......Melissa!  They are absolutely loaded with personnel on both sides of the ball like Argyle.......talented football players.  But they may not be as seasoned or as far along or polished yet as Argyle.  And Argyle has plenty of room for improvement.  But just on pure athleticism.......everybody needs to watch Melissa at some point this season.......probably against Argyle in 2 weeks in the district opener for Argyle in Argyle.  Good thing we have 2 weeks to prepare for them and get them early at home, Huh?  They will definitely be a force in the playoffs.......write it down.......as the song goes.  Depth, size, speed, athletic, and gaining team chemistry. They battled Stephenville all night and pulled out the win at the end......never wavered in the face of adversity.  Melissa is for real.  And how about that Paris team last night, Huh? Suddenly those Celina losses don't look so unusual......do they?  And by one point to Paris......which they could have just as easily been the winner instead of the loser.

No doubt Mellisa has a great team. They are fun to watch for sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, regaleagle said:

There's another multi-team out there......Melissa!  They are absolutely loaded with personnel on both sides of the ball like Argyle.......talented football players.  But they may not be as seasoned or as far along or polished yet as Argyle.  And Argyle has plenty of room for improvement.  But just on pure athleticism.......everybody needs to watch Melissa at some point this season.......probably against Argyle in 2 weeks in the district opener for Argyle in Argyle.  Good thing we have 2 weeks to prepare for them and get them early at home, Huh?  They will definitely be a force in the playoffs.......write it down.......as the song goes.  Depth, size, speed, athletic, and gaining team chemistry. They battled Stephenville all night and pulled out the win at the end......never wavered in the face of adversity.  Melissa is for real.  And how about that Paris team last night, Huh? Suddenly those Celina losses don't look so unusual......do they?  And by 3 points to Paris in OT......which they could have just as easily been the winner instead of the loser.

That same Stephenville team that got beat 41 - 0 two weeks ago.  Melissa won’t stay with Argyle. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going to say I do not believe LV can duplicate or replicate their feats from seasons past in losing to Argyle early, but beating them when it matters.

I’m thinking if they meet up again in the playoffs Argyle will advance through LV this time. Just seeing the LV highlights so far this season and the highlights from last night and knowing some of the players LV lost from last year, I am saying Argyle will be overwhelming favorites in a rematch with LV in the playoffs.

That is not meant as a slight to LV, because their program is top notch and is a perennial power in 4A now; LV isn’t fading away into mediocrity!

My opinion is this could just be a season where LV doesn’t have quite as many game changers as usual.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Aledo said:

Watched the game last night and Arygle was really impressive. Hard to think someone beats them. My biggest question for Argyle was the run game but that was answered. Lampases vs Argyle should be a good one but going to favor that team North of DFW. 

Don't forget about them Port Lavaca Sandcrabs.......keep an eye on them.  They could be some serious competition down the stretch.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know every team Argyle has ever fielded......and this one is by far the deepest and most athletic.  The only team that comes close is that athletic 2013 team, but that team wasn't nearly as deep and relied on Sadler as the main playmaker......Ralston was a junior that season.  That team was very good defensively and fast, but Argyle has talented players coming out its ears on the bench with this season's team.  And it's not gonna stop......lots of juniors and sophs playing lots of minutes and quite a few starting so far this season.  It's getting to be that there are almost 2 separate teams that could start and win for Argyle.  I like what the coaching staff is doing by playing so many players so often.......and against quality opponents......not pushovers.  I think it's just that there are so many possible combinations that the coaches want to try different ones to see what happens. I've learned over the years not to get too hepped up because injuries could change things.......but from what I'm seeing on this team........that situation should not be a life or death issue this season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

I know every team Argyle has ever fielded......and this one is by far the deepest and most athletic.  The only team that comes close is that athletic 2013 team, but that team wasn't nearly as deep and relied on Sadler as the main playmaker......Ralston was a junior that season.  That team was very good defensively and fast, but Argyle has talented players coming out its ears on the bench with this season's team.  And it's not gonna stop......lots of juniors and sophs playing lots of minutes and quite a few starting so far this season.  It's getting to be that there are almost 2 separate teams that could start and win for Argyle.  I like what the coaching staff is doing by playing so many players so often.......and against quality opponents......not pushovers.  I think it's just that there are so many possible combinations that the coaches want to try different ones to see what happens. I've learned over the years not to get too hepped up because injuries could change things.......but from what I'm seeing on this team........that situation should not be a life or death issue this season.

I told ‘em on Twitter a few minutes ago this seems to be the best Argyle team in quite a while, maybe ever and that’s saying a lot.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I told ‘em on Twitter a few minutes ago this seems to be the best Argyle team in quite a while, maybe ever and that’s saying a lot.

I'll say it right now........it's the most talented, athletic, and fastest team Argyle has ever fielded......and it goes very deep on the bench.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I kinda feel sorry for some of the guys......third string at their position for Argyle and would most definitely be a starter for another team right in our own district......which is a very strong district.  Or anybody else's district for that matter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cotton84 said:

That same Stephenville team that got beat 41 - 0 two weeks ago.  Melissa won’t stay with Argyle. 

Stephenville is one of those teams that will look bad and all of a sudden they step up to the plate.  Melissa is only getting better.......they don't need any practice offensively, LOL......it's their defense that they are working on to bring together.  They have the players......believe me.......they have the players.  That's why I said good thing we are seeing them in 2 weeks instead of later in district play.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Argyle will take a break in the action.......but Melissa will keep on playing.   They beat Celina 32-20, Sunnyvale 58-28, Pottsboro 51-17, and Stephenville 65-58 last night in a shootout where the teams traded scores to the end.  They play Paris next Friday in their district home-opener, then will travel the very next week to take on Argyle in Argyle after Argyle's Bye Week.  What a run in the schedule for Melissa to start the season.  In Week 7, they will finally be able to take a break with their Bye Week......heal up and get ready for another deep run in the playoffs.  Paris next week at home and then Argyle in Week 6 in Argyle.......maybe they will be primed to play very well in  both games.  Maybe they will have some injuries.......but they have some depth.

Link to post
Share on other sites

LV don’t have a QB. If you have 2 QB you have zero QB. Rauls getting hurt has really hurt them. If they have a QB last night this is a very different game. I thought both defenses played well. One just was put in terrible situations by their offense. Argyle was impressive. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

LV don’t have a QB. If you have 2 QB you have zero QB. Rauls getting hurt has really hurt them. If they have a QB last night this is a very different game. I thought both defenses played well. One just was put in terrible situations by their offense. Argyle was impressive. 

Nah......Argyle coasted on offense and didn't hardly throw the ball.......the strength of their offense.  They didn't have to.  They beat the bejeevers out of La Vega on the LOS.......you don't need a QB for that!!  La Vega is a legitimate contender and will improve as the season progresses......just like any team would do that has the kind of personnel they have.   They are definitely in the mix to win the region, but there's lots of football left and what might be has nothing to do with what happened last night.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Nah......Argyle coasted on offense and didn't hardly throw the ball.......the strength of their offense.  They didn't have to.  They beat the bejeevers out of La Vega on the LOS.......you don't need a QB for that!!  La Vega is a legitimate contender and will improve as the season progresses......just like any team would do that has the kind of personnel they have.   They are definitely in the mix to win the region, but there's lots of football left and what might be has nothing to do with what happened last night.

Coasted? How many turnovers did they have in the 1st half? Might not have thrown the ball because they were having success running it, and the QB threw 2 early interceptions against really good coverage. How many times did they have to punt in the 1st half? I agree, Argyle looked really good. But LV offense was non existent. If Argyle can put all 10 guy up close to the line of scrimmage with no threat of a forward pass, that’s gonna be a problem for any team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Coasted? How many turnovers did they have in the 1st half? Might not have thrown the ball because they were having success running it, and the QB threw 2 early interceptions against really good coverage. How many times did they have to punt in the 1st half? I agree, Argyle looked really good. But LV offense was non existent. If Argyle can put all 10 guy up close to the line of scrimmage with no threat of a forward pass, that’s gonna be a problem for any team. 

Your perspective is certainly different than most that saw the game. One interception in the endzone was a slightly underthrown ball......our receiver was behind the defender.......a longer throw and it's a TD.  The other interception the receiver was covered by the time the ball got there. There were not 10 guys on the LOS for Argyle......go watch the game again.  Bottom line is even if Rauls did play,  Argyle would have played LV the same way. Go check the stats on the game for the pass vs the run.  Any idiot knows you run to burn clock and control the ball when you have a big lead.......you don't just keep throwing the ball.  What's your point?   Argyle played the team in front of them for that night and did what they felt they needed to do to win.  I thought the coaches and players did a commendable job.  Argyle was playing subs in the 3rd qtr and heavily in the 4th.  I would call that "coasting".

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Stephenville is one of those teams that will look bad and all of a sudden they step up to the plate.  Melissa is only getting better.......they don't need any practice offensively, LOL......it's their defense that they are working on to bring together.  They have the players......believe me.......they have the players.  That's why I said good thing we are seeing them in 2 weeks instead of later in district play.  

Go to Melissa Booster Club and click on the Melissa/Stephenville Livestream game......it's worth the watch to see this game for sure.  Everybody that sees it will be impressed with BOTH teams.  Best game in the state all year so far.......without a doubt.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2020 at 7:11 AM, d0tc0m said:

Argyle threw for less than 100 yards on La Vega, because Rogers ONLY threw eight times. Meanwhile, they rushed for over 200 yards against the Pirates. And they still did it without Tito Byce.

What that means is the Eagles just flat out manhandled La Vega up front. And you could see that, if you watched the stream. Argyle's offensive line just had their way with the Pirates' defensive front. When Rogers needed to complete a pass, he did it with relative ease.

This is as good an Argyle team as I've seen since 2015, and this year's group looks more complete than even that one. If the defense continues to improve and the offensive line stays healthy, I don't see anyone beating Argyle except MAYBE Lampasas. I know La Vega has made a habit of winning the playoff rematch, but the Pirates are going to need to find another gear if they even want to play in the rematch, much less win it.

No doubt, the Argyle front line dominated the first 3 quarters.  I didn’t stick around to watch the 4th

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2020 at 11:59 AM, regaleagle said:

Go to Melissa Booster Club and click on the Melissa/Stephenville Livestream game......it's worth the watch to see this game for sure.  Everybody that sees it will be impressed with BOTH teams.  Best game in the state all year so far.......without a doubt.

Congrats to Argyle on the big win. I thought the Eagles would win but was thinking something like 28-17. When was the last time somebody beat LV by 4 TDs? and when was the last time somebody held LV to 7 points. I know LV was without their QB but that is still impressive showing by the Argyle D.

There is quite a bit of discussion about Melissa in this thread and I can tell you when I saw 4 defensive starters on the sideline for the Cards with just jerseys and no pads on and also knew Youngblood was questionable tp play I knew this game might be a shootout.  Youngblood never played a defensive snap until the 2nd q and then played maybe 40% of defensive plays after that.

Regal, if you watched you know there were a couple turning points in the game. The first one was when Melissa went for it 4th and 2 on there own 30 with a 22-14 lead midway thru the 2nd q. they failed to convert and gave SVille a very short field to make it 22-21. That call proved to me Melissa staff knew they would need a very high point total to win. The huge turning point was the whole sequence in the final 1 min 50 sec of the first half. Cards QB appeared to likely be sacked and squirted out to run for a 63 yard TD. As he slowed and entered the endzone a HORRIBLE call was made as the only blocker near him was called for a block in the back. I think it happened after he crossed the goal line but even if it didn't the players were facing each other when the block occurred. They gave Melissa the ball on the 11. The Cards fumbled on the next play with the ball returned to around the 25. 2 long runs later Sville scored a TD and then pooched the KO and Melissa fumbled and Jackets kicked a long FG to end half. What looked to be a 36-21 lead for Melissa at half was a 31-29 deficit.

Sville then went wild in the 3rd q but Melissa faced serious adversity for the 1st time this year and didn't panic, scoring 2 TDs late to win. Melissa finished the game with 448 yards rushing. Stephenville is a quality team that nobody should take lightly. They do lack depth as I'm guessing they maybe had 35 players dressed. #13 for the Jackets is a absolute stud on the football field.

At this point I think Melissa can and will score on Argyle but not sure the Cards have any chance to stop the Eagles unless their D gets healthy. Thinking right now AHS wins something like 54-33. Melissa really has to worry about a good Paris team this week before they even give 1 thought to Argyle.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...