***Week 4: Alto Yellowjackets (0-3) @ Winona Wildcats (0-3) - 9/18/2020***

StingEmALTO

Alto Yellowjackets at Winona Wildcats   

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Alto
    • Winona

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/19/2020 at 12:30 AM

We WILL have a winner! Lol

The Alto Yellowjackets will travel to Winona to take on the Wildcats in Week 4 pre-district action. Both teams have stumbled out of the gate with uncharacteristic 0-3 starts. The Jackets are young returning 2 starters on each side of the ball with 9 sophomores on the field, juniors who basically have 3 varsity games under their belts, and less than a handful of seniors. The JV was 10-0 so there is promise, but the young men are having to grow up and grow up fast. Last night was a “victory” of sorts as the Jackets held a strong Carlisle team to 12 points (2 field goals in the first half and a TD in the 4Q). Though the offense has struggled in the red zone, they are improving.

Winona returns 21 lettermen with 7 offensive and 7 defensive starters from a 6-5 playoff team. The Wildcats are picked to finish third in District 9-3A D2 behind West Rusk and Harmony. Winona has faced Lone Oak, Frankston, and Elysian Fields.

The series is tied at 2-2. Who gets their first dub of the season?!

62B68C15-64F5-4971-99FA-071BFE0E0E0D.jpeg

• Like 1

Hopefully the jackets get a win this week to boost some confidence going to go district. I still feel if they get it going the talent is there to win that district. Looks like Winona has some experience so it may be a tough game but I think the jackets get that monkey off their back this week. 

When was the last time the jackets started a season 0-3? It had to be in the 80’s maybe. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, jacketgrad06 said:

Hopefully the jackets get a win this week to boost some confidence going to go district. I still feel if they get it going the talent is there to win that district. Looks like Winona has some experience so it may be a tough game but I think the jackets get that monkey off their back this week. 

When was the last time the jackets started a season 0-3? It had to be in the 80’s maybe. 

It’s gonna be a good game I think. Winona always has the athletes and they have quite a few starters coming back, too. I think our boys took another step forward last week but we must be able to get on the scoreboard when getting to the red zone. We’ve been there several times now and come away with nothing. Two of our sustained drives last week ended in turnovers so we have to protect the ball better also. The line play is improving and overall we are making progress and getting more confident at each position.

Regarding the 0-3 start, the last time I can find that happening is 1977. It almost happened in 2002 when we started 0-2 (EF 24-16, Centerville 26-21) but then defeated Arp 20-6 to avoid the 0-3 start.

I’m hopeful we will take care of business Friday and pick up a little momentum!  These young guys continue to work hard. Ready to see their effort rewarded. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, StingEmALTO said:

It’s gonna be a good game I think. Winona always has the athletes and they have quite a few starters coming back, too. I think our boys took another step forward last week but we must be able to get on the scoreboard when getting to the red zone. We’ve been there several times now and come away with nothing. Two of our sustained drives last week ended in turnovers so we have to protect the ball better also. The line play is improving and overall we are making progress and getting more confident at each position.

Regarding the 0-3 start, the last time I can find that happening is 1977. It almost happened in 2002 when we started 0-2 (EF 24-16, Centerville 26-21) but then defeated Arp 20-6 to avoid the 0-3 start.

I’m hopeful we will take care of business Friday and pick up a little momentum!  These young guys continue to work hard. Ready to see their effort rewarded. 

Grapeland if I'm not mistaken beat Alto 67-0 in 1977.

56 minutes ago, BleedSandieMaroon said:

Grapeland if I'm not mistaken beat Alto 67-0 in 1977.

Correct. Same score vs. Troup. I was just a kid but there were 2 pretty terrible years for Alto (‘76, ‘77) before Coach Cooper came in and got things rolling again.

Last victory for Grapeland in the series is 1991 as best I can tell. Grapeland did have some awesome teams in the 70s.

15 hours ago, jacket44 said:

Just heard no games this week for us, is that true? Why??

Winona cancelled. They said “it would not be in the best interest of our students to participate in this contest.”

If it was a district contest, it would go down as a forfeit for them.

Ridiculous. 

• Thumbs Down 1

Alto had a case with varsity program---Winona trying to avoid a shutdown during district which starts next week--Doubt very seriously trying to dodge Alto which is having a very uncharacteristic down year with young players. I Imagine both teams were thinking they could get first win this week

1 hour ago, darktower said:

Alto had a case with varsity program---Winona trying to avoid a shutdown during district which starts next week--Doubt very seriously trying to dodge Alto which is having a very uncharacteristic down year with young players. I Imagine both teams were thinking they could get first win this week

I agree, i hate that for both schools 

2 hours ago, darktower said:

One case does not shut down anything.  Most schools play on!  Alto ISD "follows all state and local protocols, expectations, and policies in regards to safety of our students, staff, and community during our current situation."  The bottom line is Winona did not want to play and it should be a forfeit; it will be in district.  Their sub-varsity teams showed up to play but were turned around by their administration ten minutes before kick-off.  The timing reeks.  Our players, cheerleaders (big huge run-through sign!), band (brand new show!), and flags have worked their butts off all week preparing for what we in Alto consider to be A MUST:  Friday night football in Texas!....not to mention the Thursday night players and cheerleaders who were on the field ready to go with parents, grandparents, and fans en-route to the games.  There was no opportunity to find a replacement game on such short notice.  Some schools don't give a rip if they play or not, but our community does care.  And when a game is taken away from our kids we really do take it personally.  And when some folks (and you know who you are) are working behind the scenes to try and sabotage us, we take that personally, too.  Our school and community have been through a lot over the years and overcome a lot, too!  We are strong.  We are grounded.  We are workers.  We are family.  We are tradition.  And we always come together in the hardest of times. WE ARE ALTO.  Loss of life, tornadoes, Covid, you name it.  We will do what we always do:  overcome the hard times, give God the glory, and press on!  It's more than just a game here.

On to San Augustine.....

STING 'EM!

• Like 7