Breonna Taylor's Family Settles With Louisville in Wrongful Death Suit

BarryLaverty

I don't quite understand how the city could be admitting fault, yet no one was charged with any crime, but saw this statement on Facebook.

MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR SETTLEMENT REACHED IN BREONNA TAYLOR WRONGFUL DEATH LAWSUIT: The city of Louisville, Kentucky has settled a wrongful death lawsuit filed by the family of Breonna Taylor for $12 million. Six months ago, the 26-year-old ER technician was killed by police in her own apartment after they entered in the middle of the night on a ‘no-knock’ warrant. According to local news, the settlement is the largest police misconduct payment the city has ever paid in a lawsuit, surpassing an $8.5 million settlement paid to a man who was wrongfully imprisoned for murder for nearly a decade. Along with the settlement, the city has agreed to impose new police reforms, including a new rule that requires commanding officers to review and approve all search warrants and creates a warning system to flag officers with previous incidents of misconduct. One of the officers involved in the case has been fired from the department, two others remain on administrative leave. None have been charged with any crime. Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer is expected to announce the settlement in a joint press conference with the Taylor family attorneys.

2 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

I don't quite understand how the city could be admitting fault, yet no one was charged with any crime, but saw this statement on Facebook.

MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR SETTLEMENT REACHED IN BREONNA TAYLOR WRONGFUL DEATH LAWSUIT: The city of Louisville, Kentucky has settled a wrongful death lawsuit filed by the family of Breonna Taylor for $12 million. Six months ago, the 26-year-old ER technician was killed by police in her own apartment after they entered in the middle of the night on a ‘no-knock’ warrant. According to local news, the settlement is the largest police misconduct payment the city has ever paid in a lawsuit, surpassing an $8.5 million settlement paid to a man who was wrongfully imprisoned for murder for nearly a decade. Along with the settlement, the city has agreed to impose new police reforms, including a new rule that requires commanding officers to review and approve all search warrants and creates a warning system to flag officers with previous incidents of misconduct. One of the officers involved in the case has been fired from the department, two others remain on administrative leave. None have been charged with any crime. Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer is expected to announce the settlement in a joint press conference with the Taylor family attorneys.

Just trying to appease the BLM segment

1 minute ago, BarryLaverty said:

black lives matter

All of them, or just certain ones? Black police officers? Do their lives matter? Black business owners whose businesses have been burned to the ground? Do their lives matter?

They do to me.

But again, the statement is different than the group.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

All Lives Matter Guy

Nice Reductio Ad Absurdum. My statement was clear. You twisted it, and you know it.

My statement wasn't "All lives matter" (though I'm not sure how anyone who supports the statement "Black Lives Matter" could argue that), but more about asking you which black lives matter. All of them, or just certain ones?

• Like 1

They should simply get rid of no knock warrants, and this would have never happened.  I think $12 million is a bit too much.  I think they settle these cases too high for many people in almost every instance.  I think it should be based on potential earnings, and $300,000 per child.  The last I heard it cost $278,000 to raise a child from 0-18.  I'm sure it's higher now.  I think that might be a little high though.  My brother had 9 kids, and didn't make his first million until 10 years ago.  That's before taxes and all other costs.  They made it all right, and every child got a college education.     

11 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

They should simply get rid of no knock warrants, and this would have never happened.  I think $12 million is a bit too much.  I think they settle these cases too high for many people in almost every instance.  I think it should be based on potential earnings, and $300,000 per child.  The last I heard it cost $278,000 to raise a child from 0-18.  I'm sure it's higher now.  I think that might be a little high though.  My brother had 9 kids, and didn't make his first million until 10 years ago.  That's before taxes and all other costs.  They made it all right, and every child got a college education.     

Nick sandman got couple hundred million for being "harassed" or whatever they called it by media, but this lady died and her mom got $12 million and thats to much? SMH

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JETT said:

Nick sandman got couple hundred million for being "harassed" or whatever they called it by media, but this lady died and her mom got $12 million and thats to much? SMH

No, he didn't. The lawsuit was for $250 million. They likely settled for a fraction of that. I'm not saying it wasn't in the millions of dollars (I don't know), but if there was a settlement, it wasn't for the full $250 million.

As for his other lawsuits for the same amount, we'll have to see how those go.

7 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

No, he didn't. The lawsuit was for $250 million. They likely settled for a fraction of that. I'm not saying it wasn't in the millions of dollars (I don't know), but if there was a settlement, it wasn't for the full $250 million.

As for his other lawsuits for the same amount, we'll have to see how those go.

Tons of money for what he's fighting for, yet this lady is dead and its to much

37 minutes ago, JETT said:

We don't know how much he received, because it wasn't released.  Usually when that happens it's far less than he sued for.  I think a lot of these settlements are too high.  I know a lot of these cities have insurance for things of this nature, and a million dollars today doesn't go as far as it used to, but I still think that many things are overpriced today.  When you're 50 you'll understand better.  You'll be going back in my day I could do this for $10, but when your 50 it will be $50.  

14 minutes ago, JETT said:

Tons of money for what he's fighting for, yet this lady is dead and its to much

He's a dead man walking in today's society.  People still want to kill him, because of his "smirk" as Barry likes to call it.  He might get a college education, but where's he going to work ?  I think he's going to have to live incognito for many years after he graduates from college.  

1 hour ago, DaveTV1 said:

He's a dead man walking in today's society.  People still want to kill him, because of his "smirk" as Barry likes to call it.  He might get a college education, but where's he going to work ?  I think he's going to have to live incognito for many years after he graduates from college.  

The university he got accepted to is already getting criticism:

https://www.wdrb.com/news/national/report-aclu-staffer-fumes-at-transylvania-university-for-accepting-nick-sandmann/article_00a35110-f28f-11ea-880f-6b9ad5244288.html

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=15636

And one instructor has already had to apologize.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/sep/9/avery-tompkins-transylvania-u-instructor-apologize/