Trump Has Led Us Into Deep Worldwide Unpopularity

BarryLaverty

I mean, Russia and China have more popular leaders among other democracies. Hey, Danny, have I told you lately that I hate Trump and what he has done to our world standing? 

(From the Washington Post)
Trump has pummeled the U.S. into deep global unpopularity

President Trump talks to members of the media on Tuesday on the South Lawn of the White House.
President Trump talks to members of the media on Tuesday on the South Lawn of the White House. (Jabin Botsford/The Washington Post)
Opinion by Washington Post Editorial Board
September 19, 2020 at 7:00 a.m. CDT
Add to list

"AMERICA IS respected again" goes one of President Trump's refrains in political rallies. Sadly, it is one of his most blatant falsehoods. In reality, the prestige of the United States and its president has plummeted in the world's most important nations since 2017 — so much so that a full recovery may be a stretch even if Mr. Trump is voted out of office in November.

A survey this summer by the nonpartisan Pew Research Center in 13 leading democracies delivered results that ought to be sobering for Republicans as well as Democrats. They show favorable views of the United States reaching all-time lows in Pew's 20 years of polling in Britain, France, Canada, Japan, Australia, the Netherlands and Sweden. In only one of the surveyed countries, South Korea, did more than 50 percent of those polled have a positive view of the United States; the median rating was 34 percent. By way of contrast, in 2016, U.S. approval ratings in those same nations ranged from 57 to 72 percent.

Part of the double-digit decline in U.S. prestige in the past year can be traced to the covid-19 epidemic: The global consensus is that the United States has handled it terribly. In all, a median of 84 percent of those surveyed across the world said this country had done a bad job dealing with the coronavirus outbreak; only 15 percent said the U.S. performance was very or somewhat good.

But the greater cause of U.S. unpopularity, the survey makes clear, is Mr. Trump. The median percentage of those who said they have "confidence" that the U.S. president "will do the right thing regarding world affairs" stands at a rock-bottom 16 percent. Mr. Trump's ratings are not only far below those of Barack Obama, who in 2016 had the confidence of between 68 and 93 percent of those surveyed; shockingly, he inspires less trust in leading democratic countries than Russia's Vladimir Putin and China's Xi Jinping, who were rated positively by 23 percent and 19 percent, respectively...

• Thumbs Down 1
  • Stinks 1

Does anybody really care what the rest of the World thinks about the U.S. other than the left ?  I certainly don't.  They say they don't like us, and then they come begging for our help anytime there's even a small crisis.  They can go suck rocks.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

Does anybody really care what the rest of the World thinks about the U.S. other than the left ?  I certainly don't.  They say they don't like us, and then they come begging for our help anytime there's even a small crisis.  They can go #### rocks.  

Trump seems to be doing well in the middle east those folks seem to trust him. The ones who don't like him just don't like paying up somewhat like a dimwit I would think

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

How long does it take you to copy/paste these articles Barry? That's a lot of mouse work. Which is about as hard a dem wants to work. :rofl:

Actually copying and pasting these articles got us in trouble once.  Need to post parts of the article and the link 

5 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

I mean, Russia and China have more popular leaders among other democracies. Hey, Danny, have I told you lately that I hate Trump and what he has done to our world standing? 

Trump has pummeled the U.S. into deep global unpopularity

President Trump talks to members of the media on Tuesday on the South Lawn of the White House.
President Trump talks to members of the media on Tuesday on the South Lawn of the White House. (Jabin Botsford/The Washington Post)
Opinion by Editorial Board
September 19, 2020 at 7:00 a.m. CDT
Add to list

"AMERICA IS respected again" goes one of President Trump's refrains in political rallies. Sadly, it is one of his most blatant falsehoods. In reality, the prestige of the United States and its president has plummeted in the world's most important nations since 2017 — so much so that a full recovery may be a stretch even if Mr. Trump is voted out of office in November.

A survey this summer by the nonpartisan Pew Research Center in 13 leading democracies delivered results that ought to be sobering for Republicans as well as Democrats. They show favorable views of the United States reaching all-time lows in Pew's 20 years of polling in Britain, France, Canada, Japan, Australia, the Netherlands and Sweden. In only one of the surveyed countries, South Korea, did more than 50 percent of those polled have a positive view of the United States; the median rating was 34 percent. By way of contrast, in 2016, U.S. approval ratings in those same nations ranged from 57 to 72 percent.

Part of the double-digit decline in U.S. prestige in the past year can be traced to the covid-19 epidemic: The global consensus is that the United States has handled it terribly. In all, a median of 84 percent of those surveyed across the world said this country had done a bad job dealing with the coronavirus outbreak; only 15 percent said the U.S. performance was very or somewhat good.

But the greater cause of U.S. unpopularity, the survey makes clear, is Mr. Trump. The median percentage of those who said they have "confidence" that the U.S. president "will do the right thing regarding world affairs" stands at a rock-bottom 16 percent. Mr. Trump's ratings are not only far below those of Barack Obama, who in 2016 had the confidence of between 68 and 93 percent of those surveyed; shockingly, he inspires less trust in leading democratic countries than Russia's Vladimir Putin and China's Xi Jinping, who were rated positively by 23 percent and 19 percent, respectively. The highest-rated leader, unsurprisingly, is Germany's Angela Merkel, whom Mr. Trump has frequently disparaged but who was rated positively by three-quarters of those surveyed.

Global poll ratings can be mercurial. Views of the United States reached a nadir in several European countries following the invasion of Iraq in 2003, then soared after Mr. Obama's election. Yet while it's easy to anticipate an improvement if Democrat Joe Biden defeats Mr. Trump, Mr. Biden lacks Mr. Obama's star power. U.S. prestige is likely to remain depressed even if Mr. Trump leaves office; if he does not, the consequences will be profound.

Does this mean you aren’t voting for Trump?

4 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

I say just the link. Am I wrong?

I believe it’s 3 paragraphs before it’s copyright infringement.  I’d have to look it up again.  We go mostly unchecked, but these sites we post articles from get $$$ for clicks and free distribution pisses some off

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MavGrad99 said:

I believe it’s 3 paragraphs before it’s copyright infringement.  I’d have to look it up again.  We go mostly unchecked, but these sites we post articles from get $$$ for clicks and free distribution #### some off

Do you hear that, Barry? You might go to jail for copyright infringement!😜

• LOL! 1