Heisman voting

DB2point0

Already in the second weekend of football and hearing announcers talk about Heisman campaigns and front runners.  It got me to thinking about how the Heisman is selected, which I think should be changed.  This is an older article from the heisman trust but currently still the selection process.  
https://www.heisman.com/articles/heisman-balloting-how-it-works/

929 votes.  870 media persons, 58 previous winners and 1 cumulative fan vote.  Why isn’t actual performance on the field figured into the majority of it insteas if a  biased media and their speculation? Why can’t a point system for stats, big plays, stats per game, etc...  figure out who the voters get to chose from.  There could be stipulations involved like total wins for team, even figure stats per game minutes so players aren’t playing when games are in hand just to build resumes or stats.

idk, I was just thinking out loud and wanted some discussion.  These aren’t my set in stone choices, just some thoughts.  

discuss.....

• DB2point0 changed the title to Heisman voting
26 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Letting fans vote would still lead to a most likely homer vote. The sports writers and former winners should be neutral but it would be hard to expect that from fans.

I think if you were given finalists to chose from it would change the system.  Example....  in fantasy football a player is awarded points for his production on the field.use a model like that to award points for production.    If he did it in the first half of a blowout and sat 1.5 qtr he gets an extra point.  Say the top 5 point receivers are on the ballot. This would actually award defensive players more merit imo.  If the top 5 finalists are chosen by their accomplishments you wouldn’t have sportswriters from Austin putting Sam ehlinger down as first place if he’s not on the ballot.  You could only chose from the ones listed.  And a player could lose points for losses.  

47 minutes ago, LOL said:

It's really an award for which university has the better marketing department. 

Nah, they have their favorites though. Derrick Henry could’ve been replaced on his team and Bama wouldn’t have missed his production.  That to me doesn’t say best player in the country. In 2008, Bradford, Tebow or McCoy could’ve won it and it been fine.  

3 hours ago, trashyhound said:

I can agree with that. To be there's never been a huge injustice. Even when I didn't agree with the winner I could at least understand the argument. 

Suh should have won. That's the big one to me. We haven't seen a defensive player dominate at that level in some time. Its not very often a player is more important than the qb for a team, but he's one of them. And why does the best player in college football have to be offense. 

As far as this award, I could get behind establishing a WAR (wins above replacement) type stat like baseball has and using that to influence awards. It wouldn't be hard to do IMO. They already grade players out anyway. 

15 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Suh should have won. That's the big one to me. We haven't seen a defensive player dominate at that level in some time. Its not very often a player is more important than the qb for a team, but he's one of them. And why does the best player in college football have to be offense. 

As far as this award, I could get behind establishing a WAR (wins above replacement) type stat like baseball has and using that to influence awards. It wouldn't be hard to do IMO. They already grade players out anyway. 

Agreed, that joker was a dawg! Never seen anyone eat doubleteams like him.

44 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

Agreed, that joker was a dawg! Never seen anyone eat doubleteams like him.

Double teamed and still win. You have some guys that are massive and draw double teams just to free up a linebacker but dont really light up the stat sheet despite being a great player. Suh was doubled and still made plays like a WDE. Unreal. 

12 hours ago, WETSU said:

Double teamed and still win. You have some guys that are massive and draw double teams just to free up a linebacker but dont really light up the stat sheet despite being a great player. Suh was doubled and still made plays like a WDE. Unreal. 

That big xii championship game where he whipped UT basically by himself is one of my favorite games of all time. 

On 9/21/2020 at 6:21 PM, WETSU said:

What other defensive players in the past do you think should have at least been invited? I thought Tyrann Mathieu was a BEAST. But that 2011 Heisman race was stacked.

1 hour ago, ETXfan16 said:

What other defensive players in the past do you think should have at least been invited? I thought Tyrann Mathieu was a BEAST. But that 2011 Heisman race was stacked.

That’s why I think there needs to be a standard system that picks who is on the ballot