#1 Carthage vs #4 Gilmer

Sportsguru02

Week 5  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• Carthage Bulldogs
    • Gilmer Buckeyes

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/26/2020 at 12:30 AM

On 9/22/2020 at 9:52 AM, Buckeyelove said:

I just Hope in the event we beat Carthage, after all has been said about Carthage being healthy and hungry after not playing for 3 weeks that we won cause Carthage haven’t played but one game being the reason we won. I just hope thst. 

Gilmer played hard, they just need to put this game behind and get better.

The Dawgs love playing Gilmer because you no your playing a good football team.

1 minute ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Gilmer played hard, they just need to put this game behind and get better.

The Dawgs love playing Gilmer because you no your playing a good football team.

Yep.  Let's be real.  There was a little stretch there where G could've made it real interesting for sure.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DAWG91 said:

Yep.  Let's be real.  There was a little stretch there where G could've made it real interesting for sure.

Carthage D-line is really good when fresh - first half.  They lost a step in the 2nd half.  Will be a special group in another few weeks. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DAWG91 said:

Not really, one touch down called back, one dropped pass with nobody in ten yards for a touch down, and another wide open receiver and no one in fifteen yards with an over thrown ball.

The Dawg D was not going to allow another touch down.

I truly believe this Dawg D is faster than last year. 

13 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Carthage D-line is really good when fresh - first half.  They lost a step in the 2nd half.  Will be a special group in another few weeks. 

They let up a bit.  We got some bad calls.  G made some plays.  Dawgs regained firm control.  Good game.  I'll take 42-14 Dawgs over Buckeyes in Gilmer any day of the week and...you know the rest....the thing.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Would Traylor leave UTSA to come back?

Brent Goudarzi was in attendance and is the only person I personally know who has enough bread to match his current salary. I think he always planned to go into college coaching, though. You can't go home again and all that.

The difference between the two teams is line play. Carthage Oline manhandled Gilmer Dline. That meant Carthage dominated running game and was in 2nd and short all night. Meanwhile, Carthage Dline dominated Gilmer Oline. Gilmer could never establish a running game. The had to rely on the high risk, high reward of the downfield passing game.   Credit Gilmer for fighting back in the 3rd quarter. But Carthage won the battle of the trenches tonight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Todays' gametime meal consisted of fajitas w/all the fixin's, rice, and boracho beans at a Mexican restaurant at 5:30 this afternoon.  Started with margaritas and chili con queso w/chips & salsa, fresh flour tortillas and fresh cut jalapenos.  Brought back home what we didn't eat......I never stuff myself full and always get plenty to eat on again the next day.    Just in case some of you were wonderin'........got my mexican food fix done today, LOL.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Not really, one touch down called back, one dropped pass with nobody in ten yards for a touch down, and another wide open receiver and no one in fifteen yards with an over thrown ball.

The Dawg D was not going to allow another touch down.

I truly believe this Dawg D is faster than last year. 

I agree that the Dawgs D may be faster.  As to the rest,  the scoreboard could've said otherwise,  but didn't.  Dawgs overcame the 2nd half adversity (whether it came from the refs or the bucs)  and regained control.

1 hour ago, JTFAN99 said:

If every coach in East Texas ain't blowing up Scott Surratt phone or stalking him in Carthage every spring/summer, something is wrong.  This guy is all-time great.   

Surratt is unreal, and for those who think King is better....bwahahahaha!

Huge belly laugh! No, King is a very good coach, but has way more big game losses than Surratt and King has way fewer state championships.

”But SS hasn’t done it in 5A/6A!!”

DON’T CARE!! More state titles than playoff losses. 

2 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Surratt is unreal, and for those who think King is better....bwahahahaha!

Huge belly laugh! No, King is a very good coach, but has way more big game losses than Surratt and King has way fewer state championships.

”But SS hasn’t done it in 5A/6A!!”

DON’T CARE!! More state titles than playoff losses. 

He is crazy good. Love his attention to detail. 

But..... Surratt and the Dawgs don't lose many runouts either. Not many games where they aren't the biggest and fastest kids on the field. 

That said, having those kids AND coaches like that is what has made their run special. Really good mix of the two in Carthage right now. 

So Scott, since I know you're up reading smoaky this morning, be a man and take a college gig somewhere. And take Josh Gipson with you. Please. 

Love, 4A D2. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

He is crazy good. Love his attention to detail. 

But..... Surratt and the Dawgs don't lose many runouts either. Not many games where they aren't the biggest and fastest kids on the field. 

That said, having those kids AND coaches like that is what has made their run special. Really good mix of the two in Carthage right now. 

So Scott, since I know you're up reading smoaky this morning, be a man and take a college gig somewhere. And take Josh Gipson with you. Please. 

Love, 4A D2. 

Whew, I hope he doesn’t leave for another 10 years.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

After what I seen last night, Surratt may be the best HS coach in the state IMO. The game plan he put together with just one game under his teams belt was nothing short of remarkable. 

Carthage Texas is “Hotel California” for Surratt & Preston; They can checkout anytime they like... But they can NEVER LEAVE....!😜