Article UIL warns EF

Coach0001

3 hours ago, ANTI said:

Or..

If you have a problem following simple rules and guidelines, YOU stay home. 

Why try and ruin football for everyone because of a damn mask and a little distance? 

I don't like wearing em either, but I man up and do whatever for the athletes to play. 

Some of y'all should try it, instead of sitting around complaining all damn day. Weak little cry babies..

The study of cognitive biases is fascinating, but also unsettling. Increasingly, researchers are realizing that our biases cause significant errors in judgment, often more than we realize. In light of this, I think it’s worth taking some time to reflect on how our biases have influenced our response to this pandemic. To this end, let’s start by thinking back to when this whole fiasco began.

Back in mid-March, a number of biases played a role in shaping our initial response. One of the most significant biases in this regard was the availability heuristic. First described by Kahneman and Tversky in 1973, the availability heuristic is the tendency to misjudge the importance, frequency, or likelihood of events by giving excessive weight to events that are easier to recall (such as events that are more recent). This concept is closely related to salience bias, which is the tendency to focus on things that are more prominent or vivid and ignore things that are inconspicuous.

When considering the events leading up to the lockdowns, it’s not hard to see how these biases were at play. The imminent danger of a global pandemic dominated the media discourse in a matter of days, so it makes sense that we gave it a lot of attention.

But while COVID-19 infections and deaths were widely publicized and therefore widely salient, the negative impacts of the impending lockdowns went largely unnoticed. In fact, the disregard for these impacts eventually got so perilous that a group of over 600 physicians sent a letter to President Trump warning about “the exponentially growing negative health consequences of the national shutdown,” and pointing out that “the downstream health effects…are being massively underestimated and under-reported”.

The unintended consequences of the lockdowns have proven to be a sobering reminder of what can happen when we fail to look beyond the immediate intentions of narrow-minded policies. Indeed, this shortsightedness is the very thing Hazlitt warned us about in his book, Economics In One Lesson. But even though our blindness to these secondary effects is natural and understandable, it is by no means inevitable. We are perfectly capable of seeing the unseen so long as we remember to look.

Another consequence of the media’s preoccupation with COVID-19 is that we quickly became familiar with a host of ominous projections. This familiarity likely produced an illusory truth effect, which is the tendency to believe information to be true as a result of repeated exposure, even if it turns out to be false. On top of that, many people developed exaggerated expectations (arguably another bias) and displayed a great deal of overconfidence and hubris.

Finally, as more and more people bought into the alarmist narrative, there was an ever-increasing amount of availability, salience, repetition, and overconfidence. The ensuing positive feedback loop was inexorable, as was the corresponding bandwagon effect.

A few weeks after the lockdowns were imposed it became apparent that the curve had been flattened and the extreme risk had subsided. But as weeks turned into months, the bureaucrats were incredibly reluctant to lift the lockdowns, and when they finally did it was a slow and gradual process. But why was that? Well, the official answer is that they were concerned for our health (unintended consequences be damned), but I think there’s another factor involved called status quo bias.

Status quo bias is our inclination to prefer the current state of affairs and avoid change. To be sure, it didn’t stop the politicians from imposing the lockdowns in the first place, largely because other factors took precedence. But once the lockdowns were imposed, they became the new status quo, the “new normal,” and this meant that there was now a psychological resistance to removing them.

Many explanations for status quo bias have been proposed, and it’s likely that they each contribute to varying degrees. Some of the more common explanations are loss aversion, omission bias, and the sunk-cost fallacy. Let’s briefly explore these in turn.

Loss aversion is the idea that we generally prefer avoiding losses to acquiring equivalent gains. What this means practically is that we often reject a change on account of its potential drawbacks, even if they are outweighed by its potential benefits.

Another explanation is omission bias, which is our proclivity to favor acts of omission over acts of commission. In the trolley problem, for instance, people feel more justified in allowing harm to happen than in actively causing harm. This preference for inaction seems to reflect an underlying moral sentiment, but it may also involve a fear of regret, since we might expect to regret our actions more than our inactions.
https://fee.org/articles/the-cognitive-biases-behind-societys-response-to-covid-19/

• Thumbs Down 1
  • Stinks 1

1 hour ago, maxjean said:

tell me one thing biden has done and not some fake made up ####.just to be on record i am not a big fan of biden nor harris but common sense says they are the choice.

If you believe that, you truly haven't got a lick of common sense ... :rofl:

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, 88YoePride said:

If you think it's all going to be over Nov 4 just because President Trump fets re-elected, you need to pay more attention.

https://www.kaufmancountygop.com/what-is-the-transition-integrity-project-tip/?fbclid=IwAR1bZKBXMs-lu_j4YVEEHEViwzid85ZNFNBJJ4Onxpb5ZfhpXUUehW86mq0on. 

plus if trump wins the commie bastards have all ready been rioting and looting, so they will ramp it up, if Trump loses well the commie bastards have already been rioting and looting. EITHER WAY the idea of revolution through evolution was rejected when Trump (being an anti-globalist) came to power so now it will be back to Revolution through violence 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacket52 said:

And the live streaming of Games lol those are 2 inconveniences I can get behind keeping.  

I actually hope that this #### calms down enough to end the livestreaming and get fans back in the stadiums. Texas high school football is a participatory spectator sport!

2 hours ago, Crawford said:

but just don't push your views on others that don't agree with you. Another words, mind your own business.

You should try taking your own advice.

I definitely dont condone a snitch at all, but I also dont condone those totally oppossed to following guidelines all because you wanna be selfish and cry about everything.

Then got the nerve to call others snowflakes....lmao. The irony in that is rich.

If a stadium/school district has guidelines to follow in order to attend an event at their venue and you dont wanna follow it...there's a simple solution. And promise it wont cost you a dime, except maybe gas.

Take your class (minus the cl) home.

• Like 1
  • Stinks 2

18 minutes ago, TheShadowKnows said:

plus if trump wins the commie #### have all ready been rioting and looting, so they will ramp it up, if Trump loses well the commie #### have already been rioting and looting. EITHER WAY the idea of revolution through evolution was rejected when Trump (being an anti-globalist) came to power so now it will be back to Revolution through violence 

The issue is, they plan to uphold the election, mainly with the issue of mail-in ballots, until the deadline to name a winner passes, then put it in the hands of Pelosi. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 88YoePride said:

I actually hope that this #### calms down enough to end the livestreaming and get fans back in the stadiums. Texas high school football is a participatory spectator sport!

I agree but sometimes I got to work late on Fridays or the team is playing so far away I can’t get there for the game.  Or want to watch a district rival while I am in stands cheering on my team it just makes it so much better for a football fan. I personally like the live streaming for those reasons has nothing to do with the Covid 💩!! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, maxjean said:

tell me one thing biden has done and not some fake made up ####.just to be on record i am not a big fan of biden nor harris but common sense says they are the choice.

For starters... 

https://m.facebook.com/story/graphql_permalink/?graphql_id=UzpfSTEwMDAzNTc0OTUyMzY2NzpWSzozMDIzMzEwNzQzMDQ0MzQ%3D

I have yet to see a Democrat name one thing about Biden/Harris's platform that makes them a "common sense choice." All I hear is "ORANGE MAN BAD!!!" And 95% of their reasoning for that is based on misinformation and outright lies. 

As I've stated, the fact that all the testimonials by former Democrats in the #WalkAway Campaign feature the phrase "Then I started to do research" tells you something... 

11 hours ago, EazyMoney said:

Nothing makes any sense.  Schools and colleges created new guidelines in the middle of a fear panic.  Now we are stuck with those guidelines that are being enforced rather than common sense.  It’s like still hunkering down inside two weeks after a hurricane ends.  The crisis needs to be declared over.  6 more weeks of insanity says Phil the groundhog.

Fast forward to the 2:40 mark. It lays out their agenda on paper 10 years ago! Has nothing to do with an election. All mainstream media is controlled by these same elites. They are playing a chess game with people. Causing separation and division amongst the sheeple, rather than us going after the real criminals in power. Trump is a businessman actor with ties to all of the wicked elites. It's so easy to see if you open your eyes. The man himself signed Operation Warp Speed! Using the Military to vaccinate every American in a "very very powerful manner'. 

They are politicizing their Agenda 21/NWO plans so we think it's a democratic evil only. Both sides at the top are puppets being used. If we think this is a democratic problem,  then they can also make us think we can vote our way out of it. We can't!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, mav01 said:

Fast forward to the 2:40 mark. It lays out their agenda on paper 10 years ago! Has nothing to do with an election. All mainstream media is controlled by these same elites. They are playing a chess game with people. Causing separation and division amongst the sheeple, rather than us going after the real criminals in power. Trump is a businessman actor with ties to all of the wicked elites. It's so easy to see if you open your eyes. The man himself signed Operation Warp Speed! Using the Military to vaccinate every American in a "very very powerful manner'. 

They are politicizing their Agenda 21/NWO plans so we think it's a democratic evil only. Both sides at the top are puppets being used. If we think this is a democratic problem,  then they can also make us think we can vote our way out of it. We can't!! 

Sounds a lot like event 201.  Scary stuff for sure.  I won't condemn Trump without evidence.  But we know many of the major players in this Plandemic.  They are pushing for Global everything.  If you see the word Global, you should really open your eyes.

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

Plenty of topics in the political forum for this ####.  Take it there or this commie is going nuclear.

Normally you would be correct, but this has effected all aspects of our lives(including football as we see here).

If this plan-demic wants to implement scare tactics involving uil and our beloved sports then fans need to join the conversation. 22 players at a time(around 50 total) are running around spitting and rough housing on each other for 3 hours,  but yet they want to control the spectators to a 6 foot distance with masks. So much hypocrisy going on. As in the protesters/riotors. They are allowed special privileges as long as the rest of us conform to tyrannical guidelines. This is America! Did we forget the Government works for us? If we keep submitting to this invisible authority by nature we give up our true authority. If you're scared, stay at home. If you're not then show up in numbers without following unlawful mandates. Show up and be free. If enough follow suit,  it will force them to loosen the noose. As of now, it will get tighter and tighter because of the lack of pushback.

We are just too scared our sports will be canceled. Let them cancel every game if they must. Only then will it open back up with more normalcy. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, jacket52 said:

I agree but sometimes I got to work late on Fridays or the team is playing so far away I can’t get there for the game.  Or want to watch a district rival while I am in stands cheering on my team it just makes it so much better for a football fan. I personally like the live streaming for those reasons has nothing to do with the Covid 💩!! 

I get that, believe me. But if it continues I wouldn't be surprised to find out that people skip games just because they can. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, mav01 said:

Normally you would be correct, but this has effected all aspects of our lives(including football as we see here).

If this plan-demic wants to implement scare tactics involving uil and our beloved sports then fans need to join the conversation. 22 players at a time(around 50 total) are running around spitting and rough housing on each other for 3 hours,  but yet they want to control the spectators to a 6 foot distance with masks. So much hypocrisy going on. As in the protesters/riotors. They are allowed special privileges as long as the rest of us conform to tyrannical guidelines. This is America! Did we forget the Government works for us? If we keep submitting to this invisible authority by nature we give up our true authority. If you're scared, stay at home. If you're not then show up in numbers without following unlawful mandates. Show up and be free. If enough follow suit,  it will force them to loosen the noose. As of now, it will get tighter and tighter because of the lack of pushback.

We are just too scared our sports will be canceled. Let them cancel every game if they must. Only then will it open back up with more normalcy. 

This discussion is relevant as it pertains to the hypocrisy of the UIL.  But I do not want to see the Biden/Trump pissing match and articles in the HS forum, that is what the political forum is for.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

This discussion is relevant as it pertains to the hypocrisy of the UIL.  But I do not want to see the Biden/Trump #### match and articles in the HS forum, that is what the political forum is for.

How come we he says #### match it doesn’t get blotted out? But when I say it then it gets bleeped out..

On 9/22/2020 at 9:57 PM, EazyMoney said:

Who really cares about Covid any more.  Masks don’t stop viruses, just our freedom.  We Americans would never follow such ridiculous orders from an abusive authority.  We would fight back and refuse.  Or maybe we are more like sheep than we think.  What color shirt should I wear on Friday, sir?  I’m sure it matters.  

Yeah, it's a BS thing overall.

I don't like living under c h i n a.

10 hours ago, GreaseLightning said:

How come we he says #### match it doesn’t get blotted out? But when I say it then it gets bleeped out..

I'm just cool like that.  Cuss words from me sound like sweet chocolate covered strawberries to the SDC membership ears :p 

• LOL! 1

9 hours ago, alyssaB said:

Yeah, it's a BS thing overall.

I don't like living under c h i n a.

I don't mind the mask.  I just think it should be a "recommendation" and not a "mandate".  Leave it up to the businesses whether or not they enforce the mask rule.  I do believe it prevents some spread... the good Lord knows it has caught many of my sneezes inside of it.  I am not foolish enough to think that nothing made its way out of that mask either... 

I haven't done enough research to say for sure, but I still don't think a mask mandate can be enforced constitutionally anywhere other than government controlled and funded buildings...

• Like 1
  • Roll Eyes 1