Is Social Security Really A Top Issue in this Election?

DannyZuco

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/5-ways-joe-biden-wants-social-security-to-change/ss-BB19kW7j?li=BBnbfcN

Now I haven't read the entire platform for uncle joe--and I am trying to find out about what President Trump is planning. But an interesting read, especially if you are going to have to do social security someday. 

1st thing I have to ask, is why have they ever "capped" social security on wage earners? Why aren't people making $500K a year paying 6.2% after the first $137K? 

And why can't we really reform the system, because in the beginning, it was suppose to be a "SUPPLEMENT" to one's savings--not their only income when they retired. 

3 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/5-ways-joe-biden-wants-social-security-to-change/ss-BB19kW7j?li=BBnbfcN

Now I haven't read the entire platform for uncle joe--and I am trying to find out about what President Trump is planning. But an interesting read, especially if you are going to have to do social security someday. 

1st thing I have to ask, is why have they ever "capped" social security on wage earners? Why aren't people making $500K a year paying 6.2% after the first $137K? 

And why can't we really reform the system, because in the beginning, it was suppose to be a "SUPPLEMENT" to one's savings--not their only income when they retired. 

I believe, and have for several years, that uncapping Social Security would go a long way.

It should be capped, because you can only draw so much.  I'm not sure what the most one can receive per month, but I believe it's somewhere in between $5000-$6000 now.  I'm wrong, but I thought I read that it was $5000 back in the 90's.  Now the most you can draw is $3790 a month, and that's only if you retire after age 70, and can draw the maximum amount.  

Social Security is a non factor in voting to me, because I don't think it will be around by the time I am able to retire and receive my benefits.  I'm hearing people are getting disabilities now, because of their fear factor of contracting the Wuhan.  I know one co-worker who's mother applied for it, and received it.  

5 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

Peopke should reform their savings.  If they sit back and expect to make it on SS alone they’re in for a rude awakening. I think they should do away with it personally.  I can do better investing that money for myself than they can

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

Peopke should reform their savings.  If they sit back and expect to make it on SS alone they’re in for a rude awakening. I think they should do away with it personally.  I can do better investing that money for myself than they can

Yep. If you're depending on the government for your retirement well being you are way behind. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TTman7 said:

Why don't some of the OLD TIMERS on here chime in with their opinion. I'd be interested to hear their take on this topic. 🤔

C'mon, you know who you are!! 😉

7 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Carthage77 Hence the name lol and Kirk and west used to play with Lincoln as kids so I have been told.

@CarthDawg77 

@KirtFalcon

@WestHardinfan1

What say you? 

• LOL! 1

13 minutes ago, TTman7 said:

Why don't some of the OLD TIMERS on here chime in with their opinion. I'd be interested to hear their take on this topic. 🤔

I paid in since I was 17 or 18 years old Forty years, give or take. After my stroke in ‘17, I have been on SS disability; not my choice... Neurologist wouldn’t release me back to work. 
I have a 401k that was doing well prior to the Wuhan. I am not going to touch it until I turn 65 if I can manage without it. I am also on Medicaid. I would have never dreamed things would turn out this way. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, TTman7 said:

Old timers are the ones benefiting from it.  They love it.  Most people will draw out more than they ever paid in.  

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

Old timers are the ones benefiting from it.  They love it.  Most people will draw out more than they ever paid in.  

If politicians wouldn’t allow illegal aliens to draw on it & kept their own fingers out of it for other things, it would be in much better shape than it is now.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CarthDawg77 said:

I paid in since I was 17 or 18 years old Forty years, give or take. After my stroke in ‘17, I have been on SS disability; not my choice... Neurologist wouldn’t release me back to work. 
I have a 401k that was doing well prior to the Wuhan. I am not going to touch it until I turn 65 if I can manage without it. I am also on Medicaid. I would have never dreamed things would turn out this way. 

I wish you the best. And a continued good recovery. Yea, don't touch that 401 until you have to...smart move. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

One of the few that survived. I believe they had tequila and dressed like some ugly dancers  who were to get the beer to avoid the soldiers. They figured they were too ugly to shoot so hence they survived.

So they were the "entertainment" at the Alamo? Oh, ok. Gotcha. Makes sense. 😉

38 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I've been drawing since I hit 62 I will have to live another 25 years to draw out everything I paid and my company paid in you can bet I sure am going to try to draw it all. I never intended to live off SS, the company I worked for had a pension plan and a very good one, I am drawing off that also and taking withdrawals from  my 401K plan. I am glad they started the 401K back in the early 80's it has been a life saver. 

1 minute ago, Wild74 said:

I've been drawing since I hit 62 I will have to live another 25 years to draw out everything I paid and my company paid in you can bet I sure am going to try to draw it all. I never intended to live off SS, the company I worked for had a pension play and a very good one, I am drawing off that also and taking withdrawals from  my 401K plan. I am glad that started the 401K back in the early 80's it has been a life saver. 

I'm probably gonna start drawing my SS when I'm 62 also. If it's still there by then. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, CarthDawg77 said:

If politicians wouldn’t allow illegal aliens to draw on it & kept their own fingers out of it for other things, it would be in much better shape than it is now.

Look at how much you paid in vs how much your first 10 years of drawing on it is.  

13 minutes ago, Wild74 said:

I've been drawing since I hit 62 I will have to live another 25 years to draw out everything I paid and my company paid in you can bet I sure am going to try to draw it all. I never intended to live off SS, the company I worked for had a pension plan and a very good one, I am drawing off that also and taking withdrawals from  my 401K plan. I am glad they started the 401K back in the early 80's it has been a life saver. 

Im talking strictly what you pay in yourself.