Is Social Security Really A Top Issue in this Election?

DannyZuco

1 hour ago, TTman7 said:

I wish you the best. And a continued good recovery. Yea, don't touch that 401 until you have to...smart move. 

I can also draw retirement from Anadarko Petroleum; I can draw about $400 a month now, but am going to wait til 65 for that as well. If I kick off before then, at least my wife should be comfortable.

56 minutes ago, CarthDawg77 said:

I can also draw retirement from Anadarko Petroleum; I can draw about $400 a month now, but am going to wait til 65 for that as well. If I kick off before then, at least my wife should be comfortable.

Sounds like a good plan. 

I'll have 2 retirement pensions + a VA check rolling in by the time I'm 62. That's why I probably will go ahead and draw SS at that time. Get all my money coming in and start spoiling my wife & family, lol. 

11 minutes ago, TTman7 said:

Sounds like a good plan. 

I'll have 2 retirement pensions + a VA check rolling in by the time I'm 62. That's why I probably will go ahead and draw SS at that time. Get all my money coming in and start spoiling my wife & family, lol. 

Thanks for your Service to your country, & Spoil them Rotten!🇺🇸😜👌

13 hours ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Carthage77 Hence the name lol and Kirk and west used to play with Lincoln as kids so I have been told.

Really, that would make them "young men", I heard just the other day that they had learn to read from stone carvings. LOL 

• LOL! 1

12 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Old timers are the ones benefiting from it.  They love it.  Most people will draw out more than they ever paid in.  

That IS the truth. I know my father drew out more in 3 years after his retirement than he ever paid in--in over 45 years of military and working for a major corporation. 45 years of paying in & his employer paid in, and still got more in 3 years. I did the math and added it up a few years ago. 

12 hours ago, CarthDawg77 said:

The Alamo fell 123 years before my time....

So let's do the math. 1836 + 123 =      1 9 5 9--Man I thought you were old--but you are close to my age than I thought. Oops, I am gonna have to quit calling you old. LOL.

14 hours ago, TTman7 said:

Yessir! I plan on it if they let me and SSA still exists. Hopefully for you too! 👍

I’m not planning on it.  I’m putting in a 401k, have a company pension, invested in timber/real estate, setting back in Edward jones for kids education.  Hopefully they get scholarships and I get to keep that money too.  

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Peopke should reform their savings.  If they sit back and expect to make it on SS alone they’re in for a rude awakening. I think they should do away with it personally.  I can do better investing that money for myself than they can

Social security should have been gradually privatized decades ago.  Anybody with half a brain could have done far better if it had been allowed.  It still needs to be phased in gradually....

2 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I thought W was gonna push to reform it somehow

He caved, just like everybody before him .... Even the AARP is against it .... nobody wants to give up the money or the power ....  they keep scaring the gullible and lobbying/bribing the politicians .... all while the people who would benefit the most are lied to and kept down by big government  ...

Yes, reform would be simple to social security. 

Start with every person born on Jan 1, 2000 or later--they continue to pay their 6.2% and their employer pays their 6.2%--all others stay on the old system 

Newbies get 3% per year interest on the money they have in their social security account. 

When they retire, that is all they get--no less, to be divided up as they see fit, depending upon the number of years they think they will survive. 

--this will mean that people will learn to start saving their own money again.

--instead of being a borrow and never pay back country, people will learn to purchase without HUGE credit card debt. 

--If they should die before using that money or all of it. It will go to their designated beneficiary--not the general fund. In some instances this could help families out in the long run, if unfortunate things happen. 

Once, the last person passes away on the old pathetic plan we have now--then any money left in the "general fund" should go to pay down the national debt. If there is none, then that pathetic system is over with, thank goodness. Because we don't have enough people to keep a system like that going. 

Hey, and if we want people to invest part of their money in a higher interest account-then let's make the interest rate for US Savings Bonds higher and they can purchase stock in the United States. and pay maybe 8-10% on those. But anything would be better than what we have. 

History lesson 

When social security started, there were 150 or more people paying into the system than were retired. 

Today, there are 2.9 workers for every retired person. And since it is been those working paying for those retired, it naturally canNOT continue. 

https://www.mercatus.org/publications/government-spending/how-many-workers-support-one-social-security-retiree#:~:text=As these trends have continued,workers per retiree by 2030.

12 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

Yes, reform would be simple to social security. 

Start with every person born on Jan 1, 2000 or later--they continue to pay their 6.2% and their employer pays their 6.2%--all others stay on the old system 

Newbies get 3% per year interest on the money they have in their social security account. 

When they retire, that is all they get--no less, to be divided up as they see fit, depending upon the number of years they think they will survive. 

--this will mean that people will learn to start saving their own money again.

--instead of being a borrow and never pay back country, people will learn to purchase without HUGE credit card debt. 

--If they should die before using that money or all of it. It will go to their designated beneficiary--not the general fund. In some instances this could help families out in the long run, if unfortunate things happen. 

Once, the last person passes away on the old pathetic plan we have now--then any money left in the "general fund" should go to pay down the national debt. If there is none, then that pathetic system is over with, thank goodness. Because we don't have enough people to keep a system like that going. 

Hey, and if we want people to invest part of their money in a higher interest account-then let's make the interest rate for US Savings Bonds higher and they can purchase stock in the United States. and pay maybe 8-10% on those. But anything would be better than what we have. 

History lesson 

When social security started, there were 150 or more people paying into the system than were retired. 

Today, there are 2.9 workers for every retired person. And since it is been those working paying for those retired, it naturally canNOT continue. 

https://www.mercatus.org/publications/government-spending/how-many-workers-support-one-social-security-retiree#:~:text=As these trends have continued,workers per retiree by 2030.

But what about the money I’ve paid in already?

47 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

But what about the money I’ve paid in already?

Are you prior to January 1st 2000? 

If you are--nothing changes for you, but afterwards--then you are on the new system. 

I would even allow those under 40 to opt into the new plan, but that would mean--NO OLD system for them. 

19 minutes ago, BlahBlah said:

uuh ...  Carth you have posted that picture several times.  You have that picture saved don't you ?  

We know what Carth likes.  LOL

Are you saying that Carth Likes to slap them on the thigh and ride the wave in? LOL