Paris(3-1) @ Melissa(4-0)

regaleagle

I've been waiting all week for either Parisian or Texski to post this game.......but it's already Wednesday and nothing!   This is a big game for sure......the district 7-4A Div.1 opener this week for both teams while Argyle is off and will be paying very close attention.  Melissa travels to Argyle next week for Argyle's district opener.  What do you know and who wins this game?  Poll please......somebody.

• Like 1

Right off the bat.......let me just say that this Melissa team appears to be the real deal......especially offensively.  I think Texski is trying to keep his beloved Melissa Cardinals as the best kept secret since the JFK assassination.........but it ain't gonna work, LOL.  I've seen their Livestream games against Celina, Sunnyvale, Pottsboro, and then that shootout last week against a very offensive Stephenville team.  Paris is like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.......you don't know which one shows up.  But you do know that at any moment one could turn into the other.  Both teams are legitimate threats going forward the rest of the season to whomever they play.

I think Paris has the better defense(so far) and Melissa by far the better offense.  Melissa has playmakers up and down the lineup......AND on the bench!!  They have two healthy very good QB's that they use in every game......although IMO Fennegan is their #1 guy right now.  I don't know if the Paris D can slow them down enough to pull out a win.......the game is in Melissa, too.

Melissa is absolutely loaded with playmakers........just watch any game against any opponent and see for yourself.  I don't know where they got these guys, but speed and athletic all over the field on both sides of the ball.  They have a RB Braeden Smith #21(6-0/200/Sr.) that runs like Mack truck on steroids......I kid you not.  And then #20 Jaylen Williams(5-11/175/Jr.) has all the moves, power, and speed you could ever hope to have in a high school RB......and the vision, too.  He can burn you with his speed, or just a little crease, or just bounce off and still go. Their QB #11 Sam Fennegan(6-1/180/Jr) has speed too, but he's an excellent field general back there with a great arm and legs to match.  He sets the offense in about 5 secs. and reads the weaknesses in the defense really quick.  And that's exactly the best term to describe Melissa's attack.......really, really quick and dynamic.  They've got receivers out the Kazoo w/ speed and talent and size........it's almost unbelievable that all these guys are on one team at the same time. #1 Damon Youngblood(5-11/175/Jr) is all over the field at any position you play him......and then there's #15 Bryson Neely(6-2/200/WR/Speed Merchant extraordinaire) that is simply a joy to watch.  They have at least 5 other skill players they rotate in and out all the time.......you just can't keep up with all of them......and they all can burn you with terrific speed.  Where did they get all these guys???   They play some terrific sophs too, but there are too many to mention.  And that's just the offensive side of the ball in the skill positions.......they have size on the lines, too.

Lucky for Paris they have a good running game with Washington, Jackson, and Hohenberger at QB......and a couple of other speedy guys.  I think Melissa's secondary is very very good, but perhaps a strong running team like Paris can cause some problems for the Cardinal defense......and maybe even keep their explosive offense on the sidelines.  Paris will have to mix in the pass to win this game, IMHO.......but Hohenberger may be able to hit a few with Paris mainly running the ball.  At least they have a chance against this Melissa bunch if they can maintain possessions and score on time-consuming drives.  Melissa can score from anywhere on the field, for sure.

I think Stepp nailed it when he wrote that Paris' best chance is to keep the score below 30.  He favors Melissa by 8.  I've been impressed by the Cats' undersized defense, but Melissa's combination of speed and size could make for a long night unless Paris can get some turnovers.  The O-line showed some improvement last week, but mainly the Cats had too much speed for the Heritage defense.   I don't think that will be the case this week vs. Melissa.

Two weeks ago, Paris was facing a gauntlet of PG-Heritage-Melissa in consecutive games.  I thought if they could steal a win in that tough stretch they'd be set up well the rest of the way (they don't face Argyle until the final regular season game and the rest of the district is a combined 2-12).  The last two Paris-Melissa meetings have been close, exciting contests.  Hoping for the same this year.

Melissa.

If my sister's family would go to that game I would go with them, but I guess they are too busy doing other things.

And BTW, I was hoping there was going to be a Pine Tree and Princeton thread so I could learn about Pine Tree more.

I know (to me) Princeton didn't look good in scrimmage against Sherman.

Both are top 10 teams now. Melissa #8 Paris #10. Melissa is banged up on D but also has some depth and now have a 6-4 220 freshman seeing significant playing time on the DL. To me the biggest matchups to watch are the Card O vs Cat D and if the Cats can throw the ball on Melissa. The last 2 years were great games and think this one will be too but Cards pull away in 4th for a 2 TD win with all the depth and weapons. Melissa has had ELEVEN different players score TDs this year.

Being an Argyllian and highly interested in both of these teams from our district,  I will be watching this game on Livestream this week.  I'm sure at least Melissa will carry a Livestream of this game......I'll just have to find it.  This will be the 3rd home game in a row for Melissa in 5 games this season.  

Melissa is averaging 51 pts/game and giving up 30 pts/game against a schedule of good offensive teams.  I think Celina was the best defense so far that Melissa has faced.......that was in the very first game of the season.......and the score was 32-20.  Paris has played a tougher schedule IMO......but has only averaged 20 pts/game while giving up 17 pts/game in 4 games so far.  Their only loss was to Pleasant Grove......but they lost 35-7 to a strong running team.  I just don't see how Paris will be able to hold back the Cardinal offense to less than 35 pts and be able to at least put up 35 pts themselves. Turnovers would be one way, but I don't care how good your defense is.......this Cardinal team will find the end zone at least 2 or 3 times per half with the offensive weapons and spread they run.

5 minutes ago, Parisian said:

You can find the Melissa audio and video streams at the Melissa ISD website or go straight to their YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGLO92Hc225rOOtpmr6H6-g

Paris is only live video streaming home games, but their radio broadcast will be on KBUS-FM and easttexasradio.com.

Okay thanks, Parisian.......I really appreciate the link buddy.  I will definitely be tuning in to this one at kickoff to see how in the world Paris plans to keep Melissa's offensive juggernaut at bay.

1 minute ago, regaleagle said:

Okay thanks, Parisian.......I really appreciate the link buddy.  I will definitely be tuning in to this one at kickoff to see how in the world Paris plans to keep Melissa's offensive juggernaut at bay.

I guess you already realize that IF Paris were to win this game this week, then regardless of the outcome of the Argyle/Melissa game next week......Paris would be sitting in the catbird seat for that final district game in Paris against Argyle.  IF Melissa wins this week, then Paris will be pulling for Argyle to beat Melissa next week so they can still have a chance for at least a share of the district title in that last district game with Argyle.  I really don't see any of the other 4 district teams winning against Melissa, Paris, or Argyle.

Just now, regaleagle said:

I guess you already realize that IF Paris were to win this game this week, then regardless of the outcome of the Argyle/Melissa game next week......Paris would be sitting in the catbird seat for that final district game in Paris against Argyle.  IF Melissa wins this week, then Paris will be pulling for Argyle to beat Melissa next week so they can still have a chance for at least a share of the district title in that last district game with Argyle.  I really don't see any of the other 4 district teams winning against Melissa, Paris, and Argyle.

6 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

I guess you already realize that IF Paris were to win this game this week, then regardless of the outcome of the Argyle/Melissa game next week......Paris would be sitting in the catbird seat for that final district game in Paris against Argyle.  IF Melissa wins this week, then Paris will be pulling for Argyle to beat Melissa next week so they can still have a chance for at least a share of the district title in that last district game with Argyle.  I really don't see any of the other 4 district teams winning against Melissa, Paris, or Argyle.

Reagleagle I know your trying to be fair minded poster about these two teams but I have watched Argyle play two of the best teams in 4A. 
there are only two teams in 4A DI that has a small chance of beating Argyle. 
one is Argyle and the other is Lampasas. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Reagleagle I know your trying to be fair minded poster about these two teams but I have watched Argyle play two of the best teams in 4A. 
there are only two teams in 4A DI that has a small chance of beating Argyle. 
one is Argyle and the other is Lampasas. 

From what I've seen of Melissa so far........I really cannot ignore them as a real threat for Argyle.  They have the players and offensive firepower to play with Argyle.  They have a very good QB and some dynamic receivers.......a very impressive set of backs, and speed everywhere.  Melissa is definitely a big threat in Region 2.......just watch the game next week.  Or better yet.......use this link that Parisian provided and see some of what they have this week even before next week's big showdown.  I'm not at all convinced that Melissa may not be a tougher matchup than La Vega for the Eagles.  I think they will be able to score regardless of how good Argyle plays on defense.

And somehow I left off one of Melissa's best playmakers........#5 Antonio Robinson(6-4/185/WR/speed and great athletic ability.  He will carry the ball on jet sweeps also.  But you must contest him on every throw.......he will go up and pluck it out of the air with his height advantage and great hands.  He burned Stephenville on 3 TD's........two on passes and one on a jet sweep he took to the house.

You gotta be kidding me........this is getting to be a real sore spot for all of the good people in this nation.  We already know that the masks are "fake" restrictions, and then we hear that the testing is not to be trusted.......that "positive" tests have been proven already to be false.  And NOW.......they want to force us to believe in their erroneous crapola COVID rerstrictions against life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness in our daily lives.......just so that they can control us and send the middle class into oblivion forever in these United States of America.  They own the educational system in this country already.......and now they want to dictate policy in all avenues of our daily lives.

• Roll Eyes 1

1 minute ago, regaleagle said:

You gotta be kidding me........this is getting to be a real sore spot for all of the good people in this nation.  We already know that the masks are "fake" restrictions, and then we hear that the testing is not to be trusted.......that "positive" tests have been proven already to be false.  And NOW.......they want to force us to believe in their erroneous crapola COVID rerstrictions against life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness in our daily lives.......just so that they can control us and send the middle class into oblivion forever in these United States of America.  They own the educational system in this country already.......and now they want to dictate policy in all avenues of our daily lives.

Policies that are full of holes and fraud to benefit those that are in power or a position to go along with the fraud to protect what they have and to fill their own pockets........that's what this is all about.........getting the masses to conform to their dictates.

49 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

You are so right.