I'd like to ask our Democratic friends on here, what exactly is a "fair share" of taxes?

Monte1076

I keep hearing Democratic politicians talk about people (mostly "the rich") who should pay their "fair share" of taxes.

What exactly is that? What percent? How much money? And why? And how do you differentiate between "fair", and "confiscatory"?

I've never really been able to get a good answer from anyone. So you guys are up.

1 hour ago, Monte1076 said:

I keep hearing Democratic politicians talk about people (mostly "the rich") who should pay their "fair share" of taxes.

What exactly is that? What percent? How much money? And why? And how do you differentiate between "fair", and "confiscatory"?

I've never really been able to get a good answer from anyone. So you guys are up.

This one will be a tough one for some of them. 

But let's look at sales taxes--only. In Texas, we pay 8.25% per dollar--meaning every time you purchase something for a dollar--you pay 8 cents in taxes. but on 2 dollars you pay 17 cents, because the state rounds up. LOL. 

I agree, how much is too much in just INCOME taxes. 

Should we go to a flat rate with income taxes--no deductions or limited credits. 

Should we have a national sales tax--at least each of us can control what we purchase--as long as they don't tax foods. 

But there is NO WAY ON THIS GREEN & BLUE EARTH that the leaders of this country can raise taxes enough to give everyone what they want. It would impossible. 

https://taxfoundation.org/summary-of-the-latest-federal-income-tax-data-2020-update/#:~:text=In 2017%2C the top 1,percent of all income taxes.

In 2017, the top 1 percent of taxpayers accounted for more income taxes paid than the bottom 90 percent combined. The top 1 percent of taxpayers paid roughly $616 billion, or 38.5 percent of all income taxes, while the bottom 90 percent paid about $479 billion, or 29.9 percent of all income taxes.

US progressive tax system, federal income tax data 2020