Week Two: Longview at Marshall

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (0-1) vs Marshall Mavericks (1-0)  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Marshall in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/03/2020 at 12:30 AM

On 9/27/2020 at 10:57 AM, LoboFan07 said:

The dude didn't even make an attempt to go for the ball, even if he was cramping. He moved further to get out of the way, than he would've if he just fair caught it.

I can't blame him for getting away from the ball. He should've just laid down on the field before the play started. Most likely they would've blown the whistle and gotten him off of the field. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

Man I wish we could be in Longview position vs Tyler’s position , at least y’all have a chance, hell were just trying keep self from getting embarrassed lol. So I wouldn’t be complaining lol. 

Thing that keeps me optimistic...our mistakes and shortcomings Friday night are fixable.

Penalties, fumbles, poor tackling, (did I mention penalties?)...all fixable. We played bad but that's not who we are. I gave huge congrats to Temple on the win before the game even ended, good team, but I don't think they're 27 points better than Longview. Same thing I thought back in 2017 when Mesquite Horn skull dragged us. 

Defensive personnel management and scheme, also fixable, but coaches have to be open to changing up which I'll keep an eye on in the coming weeks. I really wish we'd go back to the 3-4 scheme on defense that worked so well the past two years but I won't hold my breath on that. Berry loves that 4 man front. 

It's not a talent issue like people are saying, which isn't fixable. That's what Tyler is going through right now. There are certain spots on the field that aren't as strong as previous years (like CB, LT and RT) but that doesn't mean they aren't talented. Heck I can't even blame our corners for getting burned when the scheme allows it to happen. QB play is going the way I expected. If anyone was expecting these sophomores to come out and be 2018 Haynes King, you set yourself up for failure. Give em time to grow. 

But to me, this game...and the next two after...will sort of tell us how this team can respond to adversity and how much Berry is willing to switch up some things. I compared this team to 2010/2017 going into the season. Both teams were talented, but faced hardships early on in the season. They were finally playing up to their potential when November rolled around. They buckled down, addressed and adjusted some stuff...and both ended up nearly playing for titles. We'll see if 2020 will have a similar pattern. Progress is what you want to see most in the coming weeks as a Lobo fan. 

Concerning this matchup in particular, its very interesting. I thought Marshall had a good game plan last season to make us sweat some (slowing the game down and playing keep away). It didn't show up in the final score but the game was interesting for a little minute. I bet Griedl goes back to that. If so, Longview most definitely can't afford to get behind the sticks/turnovers this game.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ANTI said:

Thing that keeps me optimistic...our mistakes and shortcomings Friday night are fixable.

Penalties, fumbles, poor tackling, (did I mention penalties?)...all fixable. We played bad but that's not who we are. I gave huge congrats to Temple on the win before the game even ended, good team, but I don't think they're 27 points better than Longview. Same thing I thought back in 2017 when Mesquite Horn skull dragged us. 

Defensive personnel management and scheme, also fixable, but coaches have to be open to changing up which I'll keep an eye on in the coming weeks. I really wish we'd go back to the 3-4 scheme on defense that worked so well the past two years but I won't hold my breath on that. Berry loves that 4 man front. 

It's not a talent issue like people are saying, which isn't fixable. That's what Tyler is going through right now. There are certain spots on the field that aren't as strong as previous years (like CB, LT and RT) but that doesn't mean they aren't talented. Heck I can't even blame our corners for getting burned when the scheme allows it to happen. QB play is going the way I expected. If anyone was expecting these sophomores to come out and be 2018 Haynes King, you set yourself up for failure. Give em time to grow. 

But to me, this game...and the next two after...will sort of tell us how this team can respond to adversity and how much Berry is willing to switch up some things. I compared this team to 2010/2017 going into the season. Both teams were talented, but faced hardships early on in the season. They were finally playing up to their potential when November rolled around. They buckled down, addressed and adjusted some stuff...and both ended up nearly playing for titles. We'll see if 2020 will have a similar pattern. Progress is what you want to see most in the coming weeks as a Lobo fan. 

Concerning this matchup in particular, its very interesting. I thought Marshall had a good game plan last season to make us sweat some (slowing the game down and playing keep away). It didn't show up in the final score but the game was interesting for a little minute. I bet Griedl goes back to that. If so, Longview most definitely can't afford to get behind the sticks/turnovers this game.

Very well said

22 hours ago, Gametyme said:

I think this game will be interesting.  Marshall beat a pretty decent team in New Caney who has one of the top rated LBs in the country. Then you got Longview still trying to figure its way out with the young guns at QB. I'm going to hold off on a official prediction until I see tape on Marshall but right now I would think Longview is clearly the favorite. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but NC's LB didn't play last week did he?  I thought I saw him on the sideline in a jersey.  Not sure if he would have made a difference or not, but I think he was out.

21 hours ago, ANTI said:

I am not sure poor tackling can be fixed until rules are changed...  Anyone outside of a DL go-to move for a tackle is to dive at an ankle or leg and hope the running back is wearing the Riddell practice pants instead of the Adidas game pants so they don't slide off of them... This is a problem from 7th grade to the NFL...  I was taught to truck or get trucked, but no matter the outcome hold on and wait for help...  now we hope to catch a loop in the shoelace... 2010-2020 tackling pisses me off. 

55 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I am not sure poor tackling can be fixed until rules are changed...  

While rules are BS...You don't understand....we simply weren't wrapping up. lol

Terrible form because we were going for the big hit so often.

But yeah, the rules make it hard to play any type of defense these days. Crazy enough...I think the rule that i hate most may actually be offensively. 

You can't block anything anymore, especially in the open field. The days of seeing decleating blocks from WRs are over. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ontheinside said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but NC's LB didn't play last week did he?  I thought I saw him on the sideline in a jersey.  Not sure if he would have made a difference or not, but I think he was out.

That I'm not sure. I would agree that caliber of LB in a close game can make a difference possibly. 

10 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

On a serious note, how do the Lobos look this year? First game looks like it was a disaster. 

I mean, as you said, first game was a disaster. That's all we have to go off rigth now.

I think we'll be much better in this one.

Beat Marshall.

7 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

https://www.yourconroenews.com/neighborhood/moco/sports/article/FOOTBALL-New-Caney-RB-Reescano-is-The-15603921.php

New Caney RB Kedrick Reescano had 166 yards on 16 carries against Marshall.  He is the Conroe Couriers Player of the week. New Caney outgain Marshall 405-349 in total yards

I saw on New Caney's roster that he is just a sophomore too.  Big things coming from that young man.  He ran the ball HARD all night long.

32 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

I bet if Longview plays like it did then Marshall has a legit chance. However, I expect the lobos to come on with a chip. Mavs will be better than expected.

They don't need a chip...  they need to focus, get their heads outta their ###, and play Lobo football.

• Like 2